Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Anthropoid Offline

Threads: 0
RE: SOMA Discussion Thread

(10-10-2013, 07:29 AM)iBobaFett Wrote: I actually figured it was Adam, given how the text relates to "Mockingbird" in the sense that the person in the picture could either be the real Adam, or a replica of him.

However, I haven't looked too closely at the picture to see if it does actually look like him, so I'm probably wrong.

The text may relate to Reed as well. We don't know exactly what the "Vivarium" machine did when it showed another version of Reed on its monitor. Maybe Vivarium stores a copy of Reed, as Mockingbird appears to store a copy of Adam. Heck, maybe Reed and Adam aren't even human themselves; maybe they just see themselves as human, like Mockingbird does. And maybe Reed and Adam suspect as much, whether consciously or subconsciously, which is part of the reason they freak out when when confronted with what could be their physical reality (for all they know).

The teaser site cites author Philip K Dick (in the background), so get ready for some weird reality bending and existential malaise.
10-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

More interesting question is: the human Adam we've seen in the video - is he real? Is he the actual, original Adam? The how come the robot has his memories? I'm using only word "memories" because I can't tell if he behaves like real Adam - we don't know much about his character.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Find
iBobaFett Offline

Yeah, I absolutely love all the possibilities to where this could go and what it all means. I'm a huge Philip K. Dick fan too, so Frictional earned extra brownie points there. I did like the idea from a few pages back that came from a YouTube comment. The one about the Vivarium computer "giving birth" to Reed, which would make sense given that the name of the video is "Vivarium" which is defined as "a place, especially an indoor enclosure, for keeping and raising living animals and plants under natural conditions for observation or research."

Really excited to see more, this is my most anticipated ...thing.. right now. I've been waiting for a good SciFi horror game forever! Though I'd be happy seeing these videos turn into a miniseries or movie.

On a side note, anyone have any good SciFi horror stories (CreepyPasta didn't come up with anything I could find) that are like SOMA at all? Or any movies? Only horror movies in space that I've seen are the Alien series (of course!), John Carpenter's The THING (not in space, but it works), and Event Horizon, at least as far as I can remember. I like the idea of a space station or ship as the location with these normal engineers, not "armed to the teeth space marines" or something. SOMA might not actually take place in space for all we know, but you get the point.

Edit:
Just remembered a few space horror films I've seen:
Pandorum, Apollo 18, (the god awful) Ghosts of Mars, the Dead Space animated movies, the disappointing DOOM film adaption, and Prometheus. Might still be forgetting one or two.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013, 09:42 AM by iBobaFett.)
10-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Website Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(10-10-2013, 09:29 AM)iBobaFett Wrote: Yeah, I absolutely love all the possibilities to where this could go and what it all means. I'm a huge Philip K. Dick fan too, so Frictional earned extra brownie points there. I did like the idea from a few pages back that came from a YouTube comment. The one about the Vivarium computer "giving birth" to Reed, which would make sense given that the name of the video is "Vivarium" which is defined as "a place, especially an indoor enclosure, for keeping and raising living animals and plants under natural conditions for observation or research."

Really excited to see more, this is my most anticipated ...thing.. right now. I've been waiting for a good SciFi horror game forever! Though I'd be happy seeing these videos turn into a miniseries or movie.

On a side note, anyone have any good SciFi horror stories (CreepyPasta didn't come up with anything I could find) that are like SOMA at all? Or any movies? Only horror movies in space that I've seen are the Alien series (of course!), John Carpenter's The THING (not in space, but it works), and Event Horizon, at least as far as I can remember. I like the idea of a space station or ship as the location with these normal engineers, not "armed to the teeth space marines" or something. SOMA might not actually take place in space for all we know, but you get the point.

Edit:
Just remembered a few space horror films I've seen:
Pandorum, Apollo 18, (the god awful) Ghosts of Mars, the Dead Space animated movies, the disappointing DOOM film adaption, and Prometheus. Might still be forgetting one or two.

The SCP Foundation

They're fun to read, though not always scary.

10-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Find
Anthropoid Offline

Theory: This game will be set in the not-too-distant future, when it's possible to copy human minds into machines. However, the tech is young, and the problems are many, so governments forbid the use of human trials in this line of research. However, it's hard to enforce such regulations on distant spacefaring vessels ("heaven is high, and the emperor is far away"), so impatient researchers push forward anyway, perhaps in the pursuit of immortality (note that soma is a Vedic ritual drink which supposedly granted immortality). The result: minds are thrust into vessels which do not properly match all the inputs and outputs of the brain. The mind and body disagree, and the mind creates all sorts of delusions to cope (see the Mockingbird insisting that it stood up when it could not do so). You don't even know if your own sensory inputs-- sight, sound etc.-- are reliable. Maybe they're all just signals from a machine...

Actually, maybe that future is pretty distant, I don't know. Tongue All relative, I suppose.
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013, 11:25 AM by Anthropoid.)
10-10-2013, 10:46 AM
Find
Kyle Katarn Offline

Threads: 1

Hi, first of all, sorry for my English, it's not my native language.
I decided to sign up here because I love the ARG and I'm excited by the idea of ​​this sci-fi game.

Even with the help of this thread I solved all the puzzles personally and I would like to summarize them:

Secret Messages:

"Cogito Ergo Sum", "I think, therefore I am" is a philosophical proposition in Latin by René Descartes.

"It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane." -Philip K. Dick

"天高皇帝远", "Tian gao, Huangdi yuan", "Heaven is high and the emperor is far away" is a Chinese proverb.

"Don't trust Raznik. He's an impostor." the message coded in the source code of the page.

Twitter:

We have now three images in which you can see faces and machinery, with three mysterious acronyms:

T2GO-HPP (We can see this acronym in the desk of the first video)
UH3 1016 (UH3 is mentioned in the description of the second video)
IS THIS ME?

I have also attempted to reconstruct the face that you see on the site:

[Image: xqb5t2.png]

It's possible that she is the "clone" of Engineer Imogen Reed?

So questions for now are:
Who is Raznik?
Who is that woman?
What it means SOMA?
10-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Unknown.
Unknown.
Unknown.

Welcome to FG's ARGs.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2013, 07:50 PM by Kein.)
10-10-2013, 07:50 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Check thomas' new tweets Big Grin

https://twitter.com/ThomasGrip

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
10-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

(10-10-2013, 09:54 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote: Check thomas' new tweets Big Grin

https://twitter.com/ThomasGrip

Ok.. I'am curious!
10-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

What if it really doesn't have a single thing to do with it?
10-11-2013, 12:43 AM
Find