Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Admit One
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Admit One

"Feminism is a collection of movements and ideologies aimed at defining, establishing, and defending equal political, economic, and social rights for women.[1][2] This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. A feminist advocates or supports the rights and equality of women.[3]"

Source

You're thinking about Pseudo-Feminists, Ghieri.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 04:01 AM by Cuyir.)
10-21-2013, 04:01 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

I anticipate a really productive and reasonable debate coming! Let's do this shit!!

/splarchasm

I find this channel interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/user/girlwritesw...&flow=grid

It's a perspective I'm not used to hearing. Worth checking out.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 04:05 AM by Paddy™.)
10-21-2013, 04:02 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(10-21-2013, 03:54 AM)Ghieri Wrote:
(10-21-2013, 03:26 AM)Abraxas Wrote:
(10-21-2013, 01:36 AM)Ghieri Wrote: I think the very premise of feminism is incorrect, and that their activists are some of the dumbest people on the planet.

Depends on what your definition of feminism is. I think of it as the daring notion that women are people, too.

Search engine isn't working, but it's basically the notion that we live in a Patriarchy and Women are basically slaves.

While women have things to complain about, so do men. Feminism, however, seems to think that Men have everything in life going for them and that all problems are because men exist.

Not because they exist, but because men have historically had the majority of power in politics, business, media, and even domestic issues. Women are under-represented in all the aforementioned areas. Not always because there's always a male discouraging it, but it does happen. A lot. I've dealt with it myself more than I'd care to remember.
This historical patriarchy negatively affects men, too. Men are expected and encouraged to deny emotions and not go into certain fields at the risk of being referred to as homosexual (oh noes!). But, the 'haves' don't get to dictate how 'have nots' how they should feel. The oppressor cannot tell the oppressed what they can and cannot do, or else it just reinforces that historical authority.

10-21-2013, 04:03 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(10-21-2013, 02:22 AM)Ghieri Wrote:
(10-21-2013, 02:09 AM)Chronofrog Wrote:
(10-21-2013, 01:36 AM)Ghieri Wrote: I think the very premise of feminism is incorrect, and that their activists are some of the dumbest people on the planet.
o
I'm... confused.
About your orientation?

[Image: avatar_24086.gif?dateline=1381519469] can show you the way.

[Image: p229xcq]
10-21-2013, 04:07 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

abrax is pretty much on point with that

i don't actually consider myself a feminist since i'm not an activist for the movement but i do agree with like 80% of their ideology. honestly i think most people online would agree with most of what they think it's just there's too many amazing atheist types on the internet that automatically think "OMG MAN HATING PSYCHOPATH" when they hear the term cuz if you actually pay attention to what they're saying (disregarding the actual man hating ones who only make up like 10% of feminists from what i've seen) it's pretty common sense as long as you're a descent human being

Posting Freak
10-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Website Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I'll basically let this video illustrate my distaste:

Basically, I have no problem with gender equality, but that's it. Women don't have a special place in my book.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-21-2013, 04:28 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

The popular misconception of feminism as a hate movement - particularly the conflation of it with the extremely misogynist Nazi ideology - is boring and spouted by thoughtless people. When women are half of the species, equal treatment is necessary and sensible.

But come on, guys, let's all get hyper-emotional and ironically 'feminine' when some girl/guy even mentions sexism. It's our duty as children to screech and shut down discussion, because clearly listening and solving those actual problems. Let's just assume all feminists want to roast your balls on an open fire because bogeywomen are easier to create than, say, teaching more men to not be rapists.

Spoiler below!
Talking about feminism with male gamers is always a lost cause.
10-21-2013, 04:31 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Seriously, watch this woman's videos:

https://www.youtube.com/user/girlwritesw...&flow=grid

To my mind she does a pretty good job of refuting most of the core feminist talking points.

Conflating "feminism" with "wanting to treat women equally" is a very simplistic and very wrong way to think about the issue. It frames the debate in such a way that any resistance to feminism is seen as a resistance to rights for women, which I'm sure we can all agree is not the case.
10-21-2013, 05:20 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

To say that 10% of feminists are the psychopaths is a slippery slope.

There's a difference between ACTUAL feminism and pseudo-feminism. The loudest ''feminist'' types that whine, bitch, moan, stir shit, are insulted by everything, etc etc etc. are NOT feminists. Sadly THOSE are the ones that are mostly seen on the media.

Real feminists should be louder than the pseudo-feminists cause their movement is being torn to bits.

Moot case in the end, cause pseudo-feminists have already infected popular mainstream media and train of thoughts so what can you do.

@Pahdee: I don't know what her overall beliefs are (so I can't say I completely and utterly agree with her) but I watched her "Feminism and the Disposable Male" video and it is a pretty agreeable point of view. I share quite a few things with her.

This equality issue is a pretty interesting topic because of how men and women are treated vastly different, even when being told that this is equality and such.

Personally, I don't think we'll ever reach an unified state of thought where men and women are completely equal. We will always expect certain things of men (fairly or unfairly) and we'll always expect certain things of women (ditto). I've brought up beforehand how women are treated better than men in divorces, women being almost always being given the children, regardless of how good (or bad) that mother is.

Thing is, i'm not a feminist but I've felt that feminism had a decent point to exist, especially in its early stages when they fought for the rights and treatment of women. But now, technically, it should exist to make sure women aren't getting the shit end of the stick and as i've stated before (and Karen does in her video) that's not exactly what's happening.

It's a massively complex and requires discussion. Buuuuut pseudo-feminists are ruining this for everyone.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 05:40 AM by Cuyir.)
10-21-2013, 05:20 AM
Find
VaeVictis Offline

Threads: 10

(10-21-2013, 05:20 AM)Cuyir Wrote: Personally, I don't think we'll ever reach an unified state of thought where men and women are completely equal. We will always expect certain things of men (fairly or unfairly) and we'll always expect certain things of women (ditto). I've brought up beforehand how women are treated better than men in divorces, women being almost always being given the children, regardless of how good (or bad) that mother is.

Thing is, i'm not a feminist but I've felt that feminism had a decent point to exist, especially in its early stages when they fought for the rights and treatment of women. But now, technically, it should exist to make sure women aren't getting the shit end of the stick and as i've stated before (and Karen does in her video) that's not exactly what's happening.

It's a massively complex and requires discussion. Buuuuut pseudo-feminists are ruining this for everyone.

Even if there's only a 1% chance of reaching equality, if we believe it's never going to happen, that 1% becomes 0%. And sure, women may get the children in a divorce settlement many times (not saying this is fine, but your context seems to indicate that it somehow illustrates equal amounts of inequality), but how many women have watched their rapist/harassers walk free? How many women get blamed for their rapists' actions? How often do discrimination and harassment charges get dropped/dimissed? Men getting the short of the stick on one thing doesn't mean women don't get it in 10000 other ways. They do. If you don't believe me, look up the Maryville and Stuebanville rape cases.
Again, historically, men have almost always had the upper hand. They still do.

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM by VaeVictis.)
10-21-2013, 09:19 AM
Find