Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

Quote:Encounters with hostile beings are handled in the same way. A creature will never attack you without good reason; they never do it out of pure gameplay necessity. We want every encounter to feel like a bit of storytelling is happening. To get this working properly, almost every single creature has unique AI.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
12-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

Looks great! Can't wait for more updates!

12-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(12-12-2013, 02:13 PM)Kein Wrote:
Quote:It is using a level made with the new HPL3 Editor
That does not mean it is game-related news. There is a lot of news about Cryengine and it's [new] feature but that does not mean it is related to new Crysis or Ryse or whatever game.

Anyway:

I agree with your initial statement of having a separate thread for the engine 'HPL3' itself. That being said, there's still a large difference between cryengine and HPL3. SOMA is and will be the only game developed on HPL3 (unless sequels), whereas crysis isn't the only game developed on cryengine; the engine is sold as a separate entity.

Therefore, any news on HPL3 will be telling of SOMA - as both are closely tied in developement - whereas the same doesn't apply for cryengine.

Anyway, from (the HPL3 video) what I can see:
1) Color picker (on lights/objects)
2) Bloom on illumination materials
3) Ability to change intensity and color of illumination bloom
4) More advanced decals; if the blood is indeed a decal

From the upsilon video:

Nice environments! Very dirty.. The container plating walls add a ... industrial feel. It feels odd to see the screen at 00:40. First off the texture resolution is much higher than everything else (which is totally okay, just listing reasons why I might have reacted to it), next - there is not a speck of dirt at it while the environments around seem very afflicted by it.. Smile

To theorycraft on the information on the console (at 00:40):
The pressure listed is 2017 bar! The pressure on the surface of the earth is approximately 1 bar, or 1013mbar. So, assuming my theory presented here (a few more posts in that thread): http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...#pid272107 oxygen levels are uncertain (you might be dead or alive) - but the pressure is a sure indicator that you are dead. I don't think a human being can survive 2017 bar of pressure.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_m...(pressure)

Assuming that it's supposed to be mbar, approximately double the pressure of earth, one can assume that the vessel is filled with some kind of gas - but not which.

There also seems to have been an accident, some hull breaches and a lot of downtime. Since there is pressure, the vessel isn't void of gas at least (hull breach would have sucked all the air of of there). Interesting! Smile

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 04:17 PM by Acies.)
12-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Quote:I agree with your initial statement of having a separate thread for the engine 'HPL3' itself. That being said, there's still a large difference between cryengine and HPL3. SOMA is and will be the only game developed on HPL3 (unless sequels), whereas crysis isn't the only game developed on cryengine; the engine is sold as a separate entity.
Quote:there's still a large difference between cryengine and HPL3
We already had similar discussion before, not sure mods want another one.

That being said, the HPL3 engine update in question didn't contain a single bit of info related of the game itself, but to engine (editor) and its features. Editor may be part of the package but not essential part of the game.

My original point stands. Now back to the game:

(12-12-2013, 03:38 PM)Kein Wrote:
Quote:Encounters with hostile beings are handled in the same way. A creature will never attack you without good reason; they never do it out of pure gameplay necessity. We want every encounter to feel like a bit of storytelling is happening. To get this working properly, almost every single creature has unique AI.

This is from here btw:
http://frictionalgames.blogspot.ru/2013/...rs-of.html

Sounds rather intriguing to me and I'm having a bit of sandboxy vibe regarding exploration. Also, I'm curious what will happen if you try to gather two different monsters types together? Will they ignore each other as well? Will they fight? Will any of the monsters attack you upon physical contact? It is possible to block him and his patch using physical objects?

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 06:55 PM by Kein.)
12-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Looks like that image from Thomas' "People of Frictional Games" blog post is indeed from SOMA:

http://s10.postimg.org/7ptbwvc6h/SOAM_Up..._12_17.png

The door's interface is the same.
12-12-2013, 06:14 PM
Find
Kappa048487127 Offline

Threads: 7

(12-12-2013, 06:14 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: Looks like that image from Thomas' "People of Frictional Games" blog post is indeed from SOMA:

http://s10.postimg.org/7ptbwvc6h/SOAM_Up..._12_17.png

The door's interface is the same.
I wonder what happened to his * & - keys, spooky.
12-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

This is probably just a coincidence, but I was watching one of the old HPL3 development videos which demonstrates some new scripting improvements and noticed that the name of the level Thomas is working on is "Depth":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OKFik2IEZU

Could it be anything to do with this? Shy

EDIT: I wonder if "Depth" was the working title for the game before they settled on "SOMA". Hmmm.

EDIT: 8 months later and I realise that Chrysler already pointed this out. Sorry man, I should read things more carefully Blush
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 06:45 AM by Paddy™.)
12-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(12-12-2013, 03:38 PM)Kein Wrote:

This is from here btw:
http://frictionalgames.blogspot.ru/2013/...rs-of.html

Sounds rather intriguing to me and I'm having a bit of sandboxy vibe regarding exploration. Also, I'm curious what will happen if you try to gather two different monsters types together? Will they ignore each other as well? Will they fight? Will any of the monsters attack you upon physical contact? It is possible to block him and his patch using physical objects?

Maybe, but it also probably means that you are going to be deliberately antagonizing monsters as part of the story. There are also probably "head hunters" about because I doubt the crew would volunteer to have their brains chopped out.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
12-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(12-12-2013, 06:28 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: This is probably just a coincidence, but I was watching one of the old HPL3 development videos which demonstrates some new scripting improvements and noticed that the name of the level Thomas is working on is "Depth":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OKFik2IEZU

Could it be anything to do with this? Shy

EDIT: I wonder if "Depth" was the working title for the game before they settled on "SOMA". Hmmm.

Mmm, makes sense actually. Maybe Depth was the codename (like Lux Tenebras or Unknown was for Amnesia TDD). But when SOMA was decided, Depth as a title was shifted to the video that we will see at 2014.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 07:23 PM by plutomaniac.)
12-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Find
EnDash Offline

Threads: 2

Quote:This means that we will let players do stupid things even if they might break the experience a bit. For instance, if they skip talking to a character with important information then they are on their own after that. And if they get hints that a dangerous creature is approaching, they need to figure out that hiding is the best course of action by themselves.

interesting choice, if it goes as far as we are not giving you any more hints it might be hard for casual players, even in amnesia if you died they had a text with hints on what to do. i wonder if they will go as far as realisticly hard puzzles or if they will make characters "remind" you to do something if you are stuck or give you hints if you die too much.
(This post was last modified: 12-13-2013, 01:07 AM by EnDash.)
12-13-2013, 01:07 AM
Find