Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

(04-03-2014, 03:17 PM)SomethingRidiculous Wrote: Why was this underwater? I thought SOMA was underwater. But then the section shown is a compartment. So maybe PATHOS-2 had some problems and had to eject a compartment that re-entered Earth's or some other planet's atmosphere (that's if PATHOS-2 was in outer space)

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-03-2014, 03:18 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

Ok so: Project Apophis (Άποφις in Greek)

Apep or Apophis (Ancient Greek: Άποφις) was an evil god in ancient Egyptian religion depicted as a snake/serpent and a dragon, the deification of darkness and chaos.

[Image: Apep_1.jpg]

Also:

[Image: 2wuh.jpg]

Social Media:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23projectapophis
https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/projectapophis
04-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

New SOMA trailer looks so great!
But I miss the horror when I see the trailers. I know that Frictional Games never want to spoil that - I like it. But I hope it will be scary like Amnesia or even more.
04-03-2014, 04:37 PM
Find
Sampyli Offline

Threads: 2

(04-03-2014, 02:36 PM)Outrigger047 Wrote: The name of the station is PATHOS-II but it would appear to be comprised of different sectors/areas/modules named with Greek letters. Perhaps different research is done in the different areas, or they serve some other logistical purpose.
Exactly.

What I was wondering is what is the red-lighted thing floating about in the end? A robot submarine-ship-thingy? Tongue
04-03-2014, 04:42 PM
Find
SeanieTheMan Offline

Threads: 3

(04-03-2014, 04:42 PM)Sampyli Wrote:
(04-03-2014, 02:36 PM)Outrigger047 Wrote: The name of the station is PATHOS-II but it would appear to be comprised of different sectors/areas/modules named with Greek letters. Perhaps different research is done in the different areas, or they serve some other logistical purpose.
Exactly.

What I was wondering is what is the red-lighted thing floating about in the end? A robot submarine-ship-thingy? Tongue

Maybe a bomb?

People always say, "In space, no one can hear you scream." Same applies for underwater. With BioShock being my favorite game of all time, I'm definitely digging the underwater setting.
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2014, 06:39 PM by SeanieTheMan.)
04-03-2014, 06:37 PM
Find
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20

(04-03-2014, 02:03 PM)ReadingNotAllowed Wrote:
Spoiler below!

[Image: 13560708024_50d08a36a1_o.jpg]

^^^ I see dead people

I'm getting some serious Bioshock/System Shock vibes right now!!

For the last image, it kinda reminds me of R'lyeh from the Cthulhu Mythos.
04-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Find
silfrus Offline

a question, the game will run under the sea? or just the lambda station? and the rest will be in space?

look this post:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/04/0...-darkness/
04-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Find
Outrigger047 Offline

Threads: 1

(04-03-2014, 04:42 PM)Sampyli Wrote:
Exactly.

Perhaps a submersible to transport people to/from the facility? Or maybe it's being used for research on fauna.

Thinking about their research makes me wonder: what is the purpose of setting the game in a facility at the bottom of the ocean? Obviously it will serve to effectively build an atmosphere of isolation, but how will this be contextualized in the story? Everything we have seen indicates these people are doing research about consciousness, or perhaps they end up studying these things simply out of necessity after things start to go to hell.

Doing research at the bottom of the sea would seem to only be useful if you are studying flora and fauna down there, or perhaps they are studying the effects of human isolation.

Whatever the rationale is, I'm excited to see how the story is established and where the devs take it.
04-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Find
Sampyli Offline

(04-03-2014, 07:47 PM)Outrigger047 Wrote: Thinking about their research makes me wonder: what is the purpose of setting the game in a facility at the bottom of the ocean? Obviously it will serve to effectively build an atmosphere of isolation, but how will this be contextualized in the story? Everything we have seen indicates these people are doing research about consciousness, or perhaps they end up studying these things simply out of necessity after things start to go to hell.

Doing research at the bottom of the sea would seem to only be useful if you are studying flora and fauna down there, or perhaps they are studying the effects of human isolation.

Whatever the rationale is, I'm excited to see how the story is established and where the devs take it.

Well, no ones going to find you in the bottom of the ocean so you can do some preeeetty secret stuff down there, like study weird dangerous machines you've found and keep them away from other people.

(04-03-2014, 07:14 PM)silfrus Wrote: a question, the game will run under the sea? or just the lambda station? and the rest will be in space?

I'm pretty sure we won't be in space at all and will have to explore most, if not all of the different stations.
04-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

What if PATHOS-II is actually an acronym?

Also, that video a few posts before was awesome. I knew there would be some kind of underwater thing to SOMA.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
04-03-2014, 09:00 PM
Find