Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

I'm sorry if this off topic but is anyone going to update the information portal? I know that Paddy has been away for awhile but is someone going start up a newer version or something like that?
05-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

It would indeed be nice to have a properly updated thread that keeps track of all SOMA news.

EDIT: Is it just me, or did GameSpot just delete that SOMA commentary video?
EDIT2: Nevermind, the link Red posted seems to just be broken.

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 03:44 PM by GrAVit.)
05-10-2014, 03:34 PM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

You know, in hindsight, it must have been actually somewhat predictable that SOMA was gonna take place underwater. You remember that short listed on IMDB with the cast of the SOMA videos, supposedly centered around SOMA? Remember its name?

Depth.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
05-12-2014, 05:19 AM
Find
GrAVit Offline

Threads: 15

(05-12-2014, 05:19 AM)Potato Wrote: You know, in hindsight, it must have been actually somewhat predictable that SOMA was gonna take place underwater. You remember that short listed on IMDB with the cast of the SOMA videos, supposedly centered around SOMA? Remember its name?

Depth.

Indeed. I remember seeing those old leaked concept art pictures as well, which looked somewhat like underwater.. robotic beings or something.
"Depth" was also the working folder used for those HPL3 showcase videos that Frictional made on their Youtube channel.

Such as here

Take a look at the file path on the top.

Perhaps they tried to create an illusion that the game would take place in space for this reason?

EDIT: It would seem like video embedding (at least on Youtube) doesn't work anymore. Does anyone else have this problem?

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014, 08:37 AM by GrAVit.)
05-12-2014, 08:31 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

One of the questions I have is whether the station abandoned or still in use. If it's abandoned and unless the compartments have doors to block water in case of a leak, won't the entire base be compromised?

NOTE: This speculation below is based on this Wikipedia page I found about the Jiangshi. It could be wrong.
It's stated that the Jiangshi's come out at night to suck the life force from people. So if this is true, then the game is gonna be set at night. Assuming that real-time day cycles occur, does this mean that on each morning there won't be enemies?

@GrAVit
Yes, the video embedding is broken at the moment.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2014, 04:17 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
05-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(05-12-2014, 04:17 PM)SomethingRidiculous Wrote: One of the questions I have is whether the station abandoned or still in use. If it's abandoned and unless the compartments have doors to block water in case of a leak, won't the entire base be compromised?

NOTE: This speculation below is based on this Wikipedia page I found about the Jiangshi. It could be wrong.
It's stated that the Jiangshi's come out at night to suck the life force from people. So if this is true, then the game is gonna be set at night. Assuming that real-time day cycles occur, does this mean that on each morning there won't be enemies?

@GrAVit

I think the name only refers to the enemy being a 'vampire', not day-night cycles. At the depth that the footage takes place in, night-time would mean complete pitch blackness.
05-12-2014, 04:34 PM
Find

(05-12-2014, 04:34 PM)Alardem Wrote:
(05-12-2014, 04:17 PM)SomethingRidiculous Wrote: One of the questions I have is whether the station abandoned or still in use. If it's abandoned and unless the compartments have doors to block water in case of a leak, won't the entire base be compromised?

@GrAVit

I think the name only refers to the enemy being a 'vampire', not day-night cycles. At the depth that the footage takes place in, night-time would mean complete pitch blackness.

I think it would be cool if SOMA did had day-night cycles.
05-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Find
SeanieTheMan Offline

Threads: 3

(05-12-2014, 10:16 PM)Chieftain1 Wrote:

@GrAVit

Yeah, it would be! I could imagine the fear that starts to develop in us as we know it's getting close to night and knowing what comes out to play once the sun goes down...
05-12-2014, 10:20 PM
Find

(05-12-2014, 10:20 PM)SeanieTheMan Wrote:
(05-12-2014, 10:16 PM)Chieftain1 Wrote:

@GrAVit

Yeah, it would be! I could imagine the fear that starts to develop in us as we know it's getting close to night and knowing what comes out to play once the sun goes down...
Well I think there should still be scares and enemies during the daytime if SOMA does have a day-night cycle which we don't yet.
05-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(05-12-2014, 10:20 PM)SeanieTheMan Wrote: I could imagine the fear that starts to develop in us as we know it's getting close to night and knowing what comes out to play once the sun goes down...

let's kickstart and fund it.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
05-13-2014, 02:19 PM
Find