Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Among the Sleep
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Among the Sleep

That's a false comparison, you're comparing apples and oranges. I really, REALLY hate it when people draw that comparison because it's not even remotely alike.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
06-07-2014, 09:14 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

i dunno if im just slow as fuck or what but it took me 3 hours

either way judging a games quality on its play time is pretty dumb anyways

Posting Freak
06-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(06-07-2014, 09:14 AM)eliasfrost Wrote: That's a false comparison, you're comparing apples and oranges. I really, REALLY hate it when people draw that comparison because it's not even remotely alike.

elias, this is just something I've noticed, but I think you should really cool down on getting worked up about things too often. You seem to be very passionate about things you care about, and will firmly advocate your beliefs.

That's all very good, but "caring too much" too often will lead to you being overall happy less often.

A main reason I personally seem so cheerful most of the time is because "I don't care enough to be bothered by it". It may seem like a cop out, but it's a very happy way to view life imo.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
06-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Oh no I'm becoming Tesbull, but yeah sorry I should cool down a bit. Sorry 'bout that.

06-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(06-07-2014, 09:19 AM)Kman Wrote: i dunno if im just slow as fuck or what but it took me 3 hours

Glad to know I wasn't the only one!
Although I played the game slowly, I did lose some time due to a severely annoying bug that made me die a couple of times and forced me to reload the last checkpoint, because I couldn't progress at all. The guy who reviewed the game for PC Gamer had the exact same issue and he mentions it in the review.

Seriously, for a game that had almost 40 people testing it before release (they're all listed in the credits), and considering the time it took for such a short game to be developed, the amount of bugs, glitches and physics issues that I encountered is fucking unbelievable!

Anyway, I think that playing the game at a slower pace really helps to perceive the meaning of the hints that are given as the story progresses...

(Stop reading if you haven't played the game yet and intend to do it)

Spoiler below!
For example, the drawings on the walls and the booze bottles.

At first I thought the game would be about an abusive husband/father. My initial theory was that he was violent towards the mother and eventually the child. Also, that could explain why the mum disappears from the house after the intro (the father could have beaten her to death or something - yikes!).

When I realised that the monster had female characteristics, I felt a bit confused, but for some reason I still stuck to the theory that the "bad parent" was the father, and the booze bottles reinforced that idea in my mind (alcoholic dad).

However, I didn't feel entirely surprised or shocked by the ending, because I started to put the pieces together (female monster + the drawings with an apparently female figure showing signs of mistreatment towards a child figure).

I felt sorry for the mum actually, I think she might have been going through postpartum depression or something.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2014, 08:32 PM by Ashtoreth.)
06-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(06-07-2014, 08:37 AM)Ghieri Wrote: It's weird, I'm not considering this game because I'm not willing to pay $10 for an hour, but I can pay $8 on lunch that lasts 15 minutes.

Halp.

Food is something we need
Games aren't

[Image: p229xcq]
06-07-2014, 08:05 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

(06-07-2014, 06:44 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote:
(06-07-2014, 09:19 AM)Kman Wrote: i dunno if im just slow as fuck or what but it took me 3 hours

Glad to know I wasn't the only one!
Although I played the game slowly, I did lose some time due to a severely annoying bug that made me die a couple of times and forced me to reload the last checkpoint, because I couldn't progress at all. The guy who reviewed the game for PC Gamer had the exact same issue and he mentions it in the review.

Seriously, for a game that had almost 40 people testing it before release (they're all listed in the credits), and considering the time it took for such a short game to be developed, the amount of bugs, glitches and physics issues that I encountered is fucking unbelievable!

Anyway, I think that playing the game at a slower pace really helps to perceive the meaning of the hints that are given as the story progresses...

(Stop reading if you haven't played the game yet and intend to do it)

Spoiler below!
For example, the drawings on the walls and the booze bottles.

At first I thought the game would be about an abusive husband/father. My initial theory was that he was violent towards the mother and eventually the child. Also, that could explain why the mum disappears from the house after the intro (the father could have beaten her to death or something - yikes!).

When I realised that the monster had female characteristics, I felt a bit confused, but for some reason I still stuck to the theory that the "bad parent" was the father, and the booze bottles reinforced that idea in my mind (alcoholic dad).

However, I didn't feel entirely surprised or shocked by the ending, because I started to put the pieces together (female monster + the drawings with an apparently female figure showing signs of mistreatment towards a child figure).

I felt sorry for the mum actually, I think she might have been going through postpartum depression or something.

Agreed.
All the hints! They are there!
And if you play the game a second time you will suddenly realize more stuff:

Spoiler below!

In the beginning when you are carried by the mother and walk past a closet to get up the stairs, what's in the closet?
It's a fucking coat!
The coat monster! Aaaah!
(I'm not mentioning this because if you look in the closet then yes, there is a coat and there are multiple places. But they focused on it! The closet is open just enough so that you can see it! You're supposed to see it!)

Also, one cool thing. The monster doesn't kill you. The monster doesn't break your neck. It picks you up... Just like mother does.

When the coat monster is around, the mothers voice is playing.

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014, 06:34 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
06-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Find
DnALANGE Offline
Banned

Threads: 73

Just disappointed as well as others here..
Just wasnt good enough..
Didnt see any scares at all...
Maybe 1 when those bottles are stacked at the end
Spoiler below!
( if you grab one ..... Don't drop it Tongue )
The story is perfectly well done!
Still it wasnt scary, but it WAS atmospheric.
Also the gameplay-time is just way too short imo..
Overall 6\10 for me.
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2014, 07:54 PM by DnALANGE.)
06-08-2014, 07:53 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(06-07-2014, 08:05 PM)Froge Wrote:
(06-07-2014, 08:37 AM)Ghieri Wrote: It's weird, I'm not considering this game because I'm not willing to pay $10 for an hour, but I can pay $8 on lunch that lasts 15 minutes.

Halp.

Food is something we need
Games aren't

I don't actually *need* an $8 lunch, I just love Whataburger. That was the point, it was recreational eating.

I can make $8 last a week on food if I wanted.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
06-09-2014, 03:50 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

I don't eat lunch, I use left-overs. Cheaper that way.

06-09-2014, 04:02 PM
Find