Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Newsman Waterpaper Offline

Threads: 20
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

(07-10-2014, 12:40 AM)BAndrew Wrote:
(07-09-2014, 10:22 PM)Newsman Waterpaper Wrote: I did a quick google search and the average film script is 90-120 pages and usually 120 page scripts usually translate into 90 minute film so the new live action teaser might be 30 or 45 minutes? It depends on the full cut of the film.

Source?

Besides, you can't accurately estimate the duration of the film based on the number of pages of the script.
As I have said before it really depends of much script they use or the footage.
As for source: Here
Just take this as a guess, I'm not really sure myself.
07-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

I wonder if this means some new information/interviews will be released soon:

[url]https://twitter.com/ThomasGrip/status/48...4091532289[/url]
Thomas Wrote:Hard to to figure it something is too much spoiler or not. I know all the context so it feels super spoiler, but it might not be for others.

07-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Find
SeanieTheMan Offline

Threads: 3

Maybe he's thinking about if he should reveal the ending to SOMA to us or not?
07-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Yeah, he probably should, it's okay.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
07-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

So wait, what is the movie Depth? Is it essentially a teaser to SOMA? Or/and a video game based movie?

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
07-11-2014, 08:41 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

(07-11-2014, 08:41 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: So wait, what is the movie Depth? Is it essentially a teaser to SOMA? Or/and a video game based movie?

It's a full-length film much like the live action teaser videos we saw last year (made by the same crew and featuring the same cast, although many more actors will be in this one). It will be released at the same time as the game, or so we've been told. IMDb lists the release date as December, but IMDb is less reliable than Wikipedia when it comes to release dates.

The codename for the film is "Project Apophis", which is presumably a reference to the asteroid which is the catalyst in SOMA's story (it's due for a real-world close-encounter with Earth in 2029, which is when SOMA takes place). You can find lots of pics and info from the set(s) by checking the Twitter hashtag #projectapophis.

Pluto and I* came to the conclusion that "Depth" was the working title for SOMA, because of this. Apparently the title has been re-purposed for this film, which seems to be depicting the story of SOMA up as far as the beginning of the game (i.e. underwater scientists are left stranded at the bottom of the ocean after an asteroid wipes out the surface of the earth).

IMDb | Confirmed Cast

I would love to know if the cast featured in these films will have roles in the game itself.

* 8 months later I realise that Chrysler already pointed this out, and it wasn't that long before I posted about it. Sorry man Blush

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2014, 06:43 AM by Paddy™.)
07-12-2014, 02:54 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(07-12-2014, 02:54 AM)Paddy™ Wrote:
(07-11-2014, 08:41 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: So wait, what is the movie Depth? Is it essentially a teaser to SOMA? Or/and a video game based movie?

It's a full-length film much like the live action teaser videos we saw last year (made by the same crew and featuring the same cast, although many more actors will be in this one). It will be released at the same time as the game, or so we've been told. IMDb lists the release date as December, but IMDb is less reliable than Wikipedia when it comes to release dates.

The codename for the film is "Project Apophis", which is presumably a reference to the asteroid which is the catalyst in SOMA's story (it's due for a real-world close-encounter with Earth in 2029, which is when SOMA takes place). You can find lots of pics and info from the set(s) by checking the Twitter hashtag #projectapophis.

Pluto and I came to the conclusion that "Depth" was the working title for SOMA, because of this. Apparently the title has been re-purposed for this film, which seems to be depicting the story of SOMA up as far as the beginning of the game (i.e. underwater scientists are left stranded at the bottom of the ocean after an asteroid wipes out the surface of the earth).

IMDb | Confirmed Cast

I would love to know if the cast featured in these films will have roles in the game itself.

If I get it correctly, that means Depth deals with how the scientists get stranded whilst SOMA deals what happens after that. A movie-game complement each other. Nice.

If this is the case, then you need to watch the movie first then play the game.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
07-12-2014, 05:21 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Correction: the game is set in 2034, not 2029. It's set "19 years in the future", but that's presumably counting from 2015 (the game's release year).

Also, the film is set "eleven months" after the asteroid hit.

The real Apophis is due for a second close-encounter with earth in 2036, but this is too late for SOMA's storyline. The asteroid impact in SOMA most likely occurs during 2032. Eleven months after that in 2033, "Depth" begins, and will probably take us into 2034, where SOMA begins.

I think... ahhh it's confusing XD

07-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

What if SOMA takes place years after the asteroid hit?
07-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

That's a good point. The game takes place "19 years in the future", but the asteroid strike could take place 10 minutes into the future. Now I'm trying to rack my brain to figure out why I assumed the asteroid strike (and "Depth") would happen close to the beginning of SOMA... I think it's because the film and the game are to be released congruently, so I assumed the film would act as a giant "intro cut-scene" for the game in some way.

I think the sounds from Tapio I linked to earlier are indeed for SOMA. This was retweeted by the Frictional Games Twitter account (just noticed it today haha):

https://twitter.com/KaamosSound/status/4...6308874240

(This post was last modified: 07-13-2014, 01:23 PM by Paddy™.)
07-13-2014, 01:13 PM
Find