Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

(07-12-2014, 03:19 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: Correction: the game is set in 2034, not 2029. It's set "19 years in the future", but that's presumably counting from 2015 (the game's release year).

Not really.
I'm looking at the original tweet: https://twitter.com/HorrorHoneys/status/...8529711104
and it does not say anywhere that he is talking in the context of the SOMA's universe nor he is talking in the context of game's release. Basically it could be either 19 years from the point of DEPTH events or 19 from now now.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
07-14-2014, 03:17 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(07-14-2014, 03:17 AM)Kein Wrote: Not really.
I'm looking at the original tweet: https://twitter.com/HorrorHoneys/status/...8529711104
and it does not say anywhere that he is talking in the context of the SOMA's universe nor he is talking in the context of game's release. Basically it could be either 19 years from the point of DEPTH events or 19 from now now.

Yeah, it depends when you begin the 19-year countdown. I didn't say the game definitely was set 19 years from 2015, I said that this was "presumably" the case.

I presumed 2015 to be the year because that's when the game is to be released; it would be pretty weird, to me at least, to have a story's timeline tick down for 2 years before anyone can read it/play it. It's like we'd have to imagine the characters going about their business for a couple of years as they wait for us to join them. It seems more likely, in that case, that the game would be said to take place "17 years in the future", or however many years it happens to be.

07-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

Crypticon Seattle:
Quote:5pm at #crypt14! Catch the @ImagosFilms panel where @skinnytie has a SPECIAL casting announcement that you don't want to miss!
The Horror Honeys:
Quote:Plans for @jeffreycombs in #DEPTH? As long as he's riding a Harley, he's into it. #underwatermotercycles #crypt14 @ImagosFilms
Not sure if this has been posted yet here.
07-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

In short, it is confusing as hell and does not make much sense for now.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
07-15-2014, 02:07 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

I hope the player won't need Depth to understand the story. I guess the film will work like Amnesia's "Remember" text supplement, which adds a bunch of back-story to Amnesia's thinly sketched setting.

Spoiler below!
I still think the asteroid is tied directly to the presence of the aliens.
07-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Find
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2

(07-15-2014, 02:07 AM)Kein Wrote: In short, it is confusing as hell and does not make much sense for now.
In short, Jeffrey Combs is rumored to be starring in the film. Not sure how popular he is but he has been in a number of Lovecraft and Poe adaptions.
07-16-2014, 05:47 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(07-14-2014, 10:57 PM)Chrysler Wrote: Crypticon Seattle:
Quote:5pm at #crypt14! Catch the @ImagosFilms panel where @skinnytie has a SPECIAL casting announcement that you don't want to miss!
The Horror Honeys:
Quote:Plans for @jeffreycombs in #DEPTH? As long as he's riding a Harley, he's into it. #underwatermotercycles #crypt14 @ImagosFilms

(07-16-2014, 05:47 PM)Chrysler Wrote: Jeffrey Combs is rumored to be starring in the film. Not sure how popular he is but he has been in a number of Lovecraft and Poe adaptions.

Thanks for this info!

07-19-2014, 01:54 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

I just thought up this one question I have on my mind.

We all know SOMA will have Custom Story/Total Conversion Support, right? I wonder if models, entities, monsters, and whatnot from the Amnesia/Penumbra games can be imported and used in the new HPL3 engine. Maybe someone can put an amnesia grunt on PATHOS-II just for fun.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
07-21-2014, 05:58 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(07-16-2014, 05:47 PM)Chrysler Wrote: In short, Jeffrey Combs is rumored to be starring in the film. Not sure how popular he is but he has been in a number of Lovecraft and Poe adaptions.

Oh shit, that's the Reanimator guy! Sweet Cool

(07-21-2014, 05:58 AM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: I just thought up this one question I have on my mind.

We all know SOMA will have Custom Story/Total Conversion Support, right? I wonder if models, entities, monsters, and whatnot from the Amnesia/Penumbra games can be imported and used in the new HPL3 engine. Maybe someone can put an amnesia grunt on PATHOS-II just for fun.

I'm sure that even if the TDD/Pigs assets aren't directly usable in HPL3 they can be made to be so with a little jiggery-pokery. It'd be pretty cool, actually; with all of that 19th century furniture and SOMA's sunken ships we could make a Titanic mod!

Speaking of which, and slightly off-topic, the Titanic mod for Mafia: City of Lost Heaven is being ported to the Amnesia engine when it's done [early footage]. I wonder if the developer will migrate to HPL3 when SOMA is released; the Jiangshi of SOMA would certainly make for a more appropriate enemy type than the Grunt/Brute.

07-21-2014, 07:14 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

I noticed something intriguing mentioned in the casting call for "Depth":

Quote:Melissa Golaski/Frontflesh (Supporting): Female, 13, All Ethnicities

Melissa “Lissa” Golaski is Adam Golaski’s daughter, sweet, unassuming and in love with her father.

So I googled "Frontflesh" and looky what I found...

Spoiler below!

"The Frontflesh is a device created by the WAU to entrap Adam Golaski; it speaks as both wife and daughter and is built from the flesh of the dead."

Source: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/...XATdfgyzVI

(EDIT: The information in the page linked above has been removed, but it's available on Google's cache:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s...XATdfgyzVI)

The WAU is PATHOS-2's warden unit (see here).

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2014, 02:00 AM by Ashtoreth.)
07-26-2014, 04:12 AM
Find