Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

I feel your pain Heart

Regarding the Info Portal, it doesn't seem like too many people actually use it (as evidenced by some of the questions in this thread haha), so if anyone would like to provide some constructive criticism to make it more appealing that'd be cool. We put the site together for you guys to use, so we want to make sure you actually find it useful. If it's failing at that task we'll definitely take your ideas on board.

The reason it's on a separate site now, rather than a self-contained thread like the Pigs portal, is because of the vast amount of info we now have about the game. A simple forum thread wouldn't really be feasible at this stage, plus the website is much prettier! Cool

08-08-2014, 02:35 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

You need to beam that directly into my head!

Joking aside, I just don't really feel any hype for the game. Not until closer to release, anyways.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
08-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Yes, most people don't use the Info Portal, because for some reasons:

- You don't always remember that there is one.
- You generally are sceptical if it's updated to the latest stand.
- You don't want to rummage through the contents to find exactly what you searched for.
- You assume that your question will not be answered there.

It's like an user manual of a new computer. Do you read it? Always the same standard information?
People will only read it when they never used a computer before.

And please avoid it to call members "oblivious". A member can't be obvious. It just can happen that a member don't know something, but that doesn't mean he's obvious in general. And avoid those pictures. We all are adult man and no children anymore.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2014, 03:52 PM by Googolplex.)
08-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

(08-08-2014, 03:46 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Yes, most people don't use the Info Portal, because for some reasons:

Firstly, thanks for the feedback!

Spoiler below!
(08-08-2014, 03:46 PM)Googolplex Wrote: - You don't always remember that there is one.

I'm not sure what to do about this one. The Portal is the only sticky thread in the SOMA forum, so I don't think there's much more we can do to make it "visible". If you have any ideas, let us know!

(08-08-2014, 03:46 PM)Googolplex Wrote: - You generally are sceptical if it's updated to the latest stand.

Why do you feel that way? There are 3 places where the Portal's updates are announced: the thread, the Twitter account, and the website's Change Log. There's not a constant flow of new information about the game (or the films), so updates are going to be small and infrequent. Trust me, Ashtoreth and I are always trying to find new info to add, by reading every gaming site out there on a regular basis, stalking the social media accounts of the people involved with the game/films, and by reading this thread (big kudos to Chrysler for the info he's shared). But we're restricted by how much information is actually available.

(08-08-2014, 03:46 PM)Googolplex Wrote: - You don't want to rummage through the contents to find exactly what you searched for.

Can you give me an example of something you wanted to find but felt like there was too much to rummage through? The site is indeed verbose, but each page of the site has a "Key Points" section at the top which summarises the content below it. This way we can cater for people who just want the facts quickly and also those who like to read about every detail.

If you're having a hard time finding trailers, or screenshots, or a particular interview, again I'm not sure what to do about that; everything is (in my opinion, at least) clearly labelled, but we welcome any ideas you have to make it better.

(08-08-2014, 03:46 PM)Googolplex Wrote: - You assume that your question will not be answered there.

This is an easy one: you assumed wrongly. Your recent questions about a retail release of SOMA, and "what is Depth?", were already answered on the Portal months ago. Answering people's questions is precisely why the Portal was created in the first place.

(08-08-2014, 03:46 PM)Googolplex Wrote: It's like an user manual of a new computer. Do you read it? Always the same standard information?
People will only read it when they never used a computer before.

Not sure what that means. If you're saying it's too verbose, that's a fair criticism and we can work on that, but again there are "Key Points" on each page which summarise the contents, so you don't need to read everything. If you're saying that the site is too "technical", that's another fair criticism we can work with. We've been trying to keep it objective and factual, much like a Wikipedia article, but if people prefer a more "games journalism" kind of text we can talk about that.

If what you actually meant was that you already know everything there is to know about the game (so why would you need to "read the manual"?), then this is obviously untrue, considering your last two questions about SOMA/Depth.

(08-08-2014, 03:46 PM)Googolplex Wrote: And please avoid it to call members "oblivious". A member can't be obvious. It just can happen that a member don't know something, but that doesn't mean he's obvious in general. And avoid those pictures. We all are adult man and no children anymore.

Not knowing something is one thing (although in this case it's pretty amazing) but not bothering to read the last page of posts is another. Instead of asking "what is depth?" you could have just scrolled up and read what everyone has been talking about for the last few months (or rather, since December of 2013!). Or you could have just used the search box. An adult man like you should know that.

EDIT: I guess we shouldn't clog up this thread with discussion about the Portal, so for anyone who's interested, feel free to post your feedback in the Portal thread, or send me a PM Wink

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2014, 04:41 AM by Paddy™.)
08-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(08-07-2014, 10:27 PM)HorrorElementFilms Wrote:
(08-03-2014, 10:46 PM)Paddy™ Wrote:
(08-03-2014, 10:09 PM)Kein Wrote: I guess they could just release digital collector's edition with printable cover-art template and some goodies. You could just burn the disc for yourself, heh.

Even if FG doesn't go that route, we've got some talented mofos on the forum who could definitely hook us up with some sweet SOMA box art:

https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-22458.html

Well, I'm late to the party, but I did a little draft of my own at that idea.

Spoiler below!

Not bad :P

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
08-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(08-04-2014, 08:12 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(08-04-2014, 05:42 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: Just dropping in to remind Mikko to add more bassoons.

Oh yes! I always remember this scary soundtrack here:

Aint no bassoons in there!

Nice track though.

^(;,;)^
08-08-2014, 09:07 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

(08-07-2014, 10:27 PM)HorrorElementFilms Wrote: Well, I'm late to the party, but I did a little draft of my own at that idea

Spoiler below!

If FG ever do decide to go retail, that image needs to be on the front cover for sure. I can't explain why exactly (other than the fact that everything DavidS produces kicks ass), but it just feels perfect.

08-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Find
spukrian Offline

Threads: 19

Hey, wouldn't it be a good a idea to have a separate thread about Depth? I'll start one tomorrow unless anyone protests too much...

Stand for something
or
Fall for anything
08-09-2014, 12:37 AM
Find
victorkim890(KimmyChimmy) Offline

Threads: 1

is soma always underwater or can u go on land too

08-09-2014, 12:59 AM
Find
SeanieTheMan Offline

Threads: 3

(08-09-2014, 12:37 AM)spukrian Wrote: Hey, wouldn't it be a good a idea to have a separate thread about Depth? I'll start one tomorrow unless anyone protests too much...

Yeah, I agree. I'd rather have this discussion thread entirely about the SOMA game and not about Depth. I really don't care about the movie too much and rather just learn about the game.
08-09-2014, 02:50 AM
Find