Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
CorinthianMerchant Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 84
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

The 1st pic could definitely use some more decoration in the form of entities.

Still hasn't gotten over the loss of wubwub...
08-15-2014, 06:59 PM
Find
HelenaMOD Offline

Threads: 1

(08-15-2014, 02:42 PM)Robosprog Wrote:
(08-15-2014, 12:23 PM)HelenaMOD Wrote:
(08-15-2014, 05:47 AM)Robosprog Wrote: [Image: 56B12F839398683CF2ABBA831B9A4AAF2121B7A1]

How bout dem' reflective floors.

I'm not sure how to criticize this as there is no real text explaining why the scene looks the way it looks. I can only assume it's some sort of damp dungeon judging from the reflections and the prison door.

So the only things I can really point out would be to make the map speak for itself instead. Like add some water dripping here and there to explain the reflection on the floor, also adding some debris bellow the planks nailed to the wall (I guess they were put there to hold something together). Might be my monitor resolution but I also find the scene to be a bit to bright. Candles don't really cast that much light and perhaps give it a more orangeish colour.

Can't really say much more as there is no real explanation to the map as I stated earlier. Still like it though Smile

It isn't a map as such, I made the map itself in 3 minutes. It's showcasing the fact that I managed to create reflective floors in amnesia ala Unreal Tournament.
[Image: mAFcKC6.jpg]

Honestly, if I was to showcase an environment here, I would show some grand, elaborate complex map, not something I threw together in 3-4 minutes to test something I'd been working on.
Sorry if I sound a bit dismissive - I know what's wrong with it, I just wanted to show off new little things I've done to the community.

Ooooh, well that explains. I just assumed you wanted criticism as it was posted here instead of the showcase thread. Oh well no harm done Smile
08-15-2014, 08:22 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

it's not much, but sometimes there can be beauty in simplicity (that's my excuse for not putting more than 30 minutes into this) right click > view in new tab for full res
[Image: 0No8bOe.jpg]

[Image: Tuo1p1L.jpg]

I love light switches and being able to use amfp assets <3
Spoiler below!
[Image: RLL5z9p.jpg]

[Image: signature-2.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 04:51 AM by Streetboat.)
08-17-2014, 04:51 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

In the third image, there's a dark gap at the left corner of the image (behind the curtains), I'd make it a bit brighter. Anyways, you've got a pretty nice scenery there Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
08-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

[Image: lHgGkn6.png]

I have re-worked the lighting (something I've began to love) most of my maps. What do you think?

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
08-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

I'm working on an underwater sequence in my custom story. I've used a looping force script to make the player have a very...lofty jump height to make it seem like they're under water. I've added some objects with gravity turned off, a fog area, spotlights with a water gobo and a bunch of light dust effects. Any tips on what else to add to make this section look good? I plan to put some cracks on the ceiling with light shining through, but I need to find a good image to use for the crack (I can use the crack decal, but that doesn't allow me to edit the color to be white, and if I use it as a billboard I can make it white but can't change the subdivision so I end up with four cracks instead of one)

[Image: Underwater_zps22e45739.png]

By the way, I don't know how hard this would be but if it's not hard could someone make me a version of the Angel statue that doesn't have the base?

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 07:28 PM by DeAngelo.)
08-17-2014, 07:26 PM
Find
daortir Offline

Threads: 9

Ah : p ! Underwater sequences are gonna come soon ! The CS/FC I'm working on will include plenty of them as well, I've always thought It'd be cool to have more underwater levels : ).

Good luck with the underwater environments, I find them to be quite complicated to create !

Edit : Sadly my environments are more based on natural environments like rocks and seaweeds so I can't really help you with the detailing and stuff, but if I can suggest one thing, having some bubbles can look good. I edited a particle system to make it like a long stream of bubbles coming from the ground, and it looks pretty good. If you want it just ask it, it's nothing amazing but who knows ^^.

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 07:58 PM by daortir.)
08-17-2014, 07:52 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

(08-17-2014, 07:52 PM)daortir Wrote: Ah : p ! Underwater sequences are gonna come soon ! The CS/FC I'm working on will include plenty of them as well, I've always thought It'd be cool to have more underwater levels : ).

Good luck with the underwater environments, I find them to be quite complicated to create !

Edit : Sadly my environments are more based on natural environments like rocks and seaweeds so I can't really help you with the detailing and stuff, but if I can suggest one thing, having some bubbles can look good. I edited a particle system to make it like a long stream of bubbles coming from the ground, and it looks pretty good. If you want it just ask it, it's nothing amazing but who knows ^^.

The sequence takes place in another dimension so I don't need to worry too much about realism. But yeah, some bubbles would be nice.

08-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(08-17-2014, 12:31 PM)The chaser Wrote: [Image: lHgGkn6.png]

I have re-worked the lighting (something I've began to love) most of my maps. What do you think?

Not gonna lie, the bilboards need a lot of work. They are simply too bright and need to be smaller, cause they are huge as hell now. The bilboards also lack light_dust.ps

Secondly, your castle walls look just boring - 0 decals, only few banners and no welders. You should always put welders to a castlebased walls because it doesnt look well when you look close at their ends. Cover up the walls with moist or other stuff like that.

Note: while the first layer of the walls look allright, then the second and third one should be castlebase wall_extension instead of default one, it will look better.

Third thing, the floor looks boring again, almost no decals, only stones and stones. Put some cobwebs, peebles and other stuff like that around the area.

Also i suggest to make a blueish - dark fog and change its end to perhaps 40/50/60 (try all of these and judge which one looks better)

DeAngelo,

That map looks simply cool Tongue But has the same issue with walls like Chaser's screenshot - no welders, but I don't think there is a huge need to change it as the light makes the space between walls slightly noticeable. Overall awesome atmosphere

As for crack texture, propably you're not gonna use it but take a look at this:

[Image: crack_1_by_artsy_antics-d686i4i.png]

[Image: crack3.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 08:14 PM by Slanderous.)
08-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

(08-17-2014, 08:02 PM)Lazzer. Wrote: DeAngelo,

That map looks simply cool Tongue But has the same issue with walls like Chaser's screenshot - no welders, but I don't think there is a huge need to change it as the light makes the space between walls slightly noticeable. Overall awesome atmosphere

As for crack texture, propably you're not gonna use it but take a look at this:

That'll actually work perfectly. I'll need to edit it in Gimp to make the crack itself white to match the bright light coming through, but it'll work great. I'll make sure to use some welders. Right now I'm trying to get my custom story into a full alpha stage (meaning the events are done and it's playable from beginning to end) that way I can seek voice actors while I work on making it pretty. Expect me to post in this thread a few times in about a month once I'm ready to start making things look spiffy. The consensus for my last custom story was pretty much universal among most reviews: Amazing story, amazing scripting, amazing scares, complete crap mapping. So making it look good is gonna be a big point for me this time around.

08-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Find