Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 36 Vote(s) - 4.58 Average
[Amnesia] Screenshot criticism thread
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26
RE: Screenshot criticism thread

How hard is it to import Penumbra objects? My CS takes place in modern times and even though I've managed to put in a hackneyed reasoning for why all the assets look old, a few soda cans could go a long way to make the time more believable.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
08-19-2014, 02:01 AM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(08-19-2014, 02:01 AM)DeAngelo Wrote: How hard is it to import Penumbra objects? My CS takes place in modern times and even though I've managed to put in a hackneyed reasoning for why all the assets look old, a few soda cans could go a long way to make the time more believable.

It depends on what kind of model you want to import. Stuff such as cans, boxes, chairs, tables is easy to import and fun to make, but shit like doors, wardrobes, desks, etc are bit more complicated and may be kinda harder to a model editor beginner.
08-19-2014, 02:24 AM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

(08-19-2014, 02:24 AM)Lazzer. Wrote:
(08-19-2014, 02:01 AM)DeAngelo Wrote: How hard is it to import Penumbra objects? My CS takes place in modern times and even though I've managed to put in a hackneyed reasoning for why all the assets look old, a few soda cans could go a long way to make the time more believable.

It depends on what kind of model you want to import. Stuff such as cans, boxes, chairs, tables is easy to import and fun to make, but shit like doors, wardrobes, desks, etc are bit more complicated and may be kinda harder to a model editor beginner.

Cool. I literally just want a few soda cans on the kitchen table to cement the time period. People can be pretty blind to this stuff. My last custom story had a freaking reference to Jason Vorhees and people STILL thought it took place in TDD times.

08-19-2014, 02:27 AM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

(08-19-2014, 02:27 AM)DeAngelo Wrote:

Cool. I literally just want a few soda cans on the kitchen table to cement the time period. People can be pretty blind to this stuff. My last custom story had a freaking reference to Jason Vorhees and people STILL thought it took place in TDD times.

If you want to set your house areas in modern times, you might consider using those custom walls, they look kinda modern (if you haven't used them yet of course) Plus, custom textures are very handy at the point when making modern story.

Idk who should get credit for that tho, took them from White Night.

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?6kzz56bshda2zyj

If you ever need any help with mapping things feel free to ask me :p I'm not the best guy here but I've been working in HPL 2 for over 1,5 year and I know my way around ^^
08-19-2014, 03:02 AM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

(08-19-2014, 03:02 AM)Lazzer. Wrote:
(08-19-2014, 02:27 AM)DeAngelo Wrote:

If you want to set your house areas in modern times, you might consider using those custom walls, they look kinda modern (if you haven't used them yet of course) Plus, custom textures are very handy at the point when making modern story.

Idk who should get credit for that tho, took them from White Night.

Link: https://www.mediafire.com/?6kzz56bshda2zyj

If you ever need any help with mapping things feel free to ask me :p I'm not the best guy here but I've been working in HPL 2 for over 1,5 year and I know my way around ^^

Unfortunately, my last custom story set up the house as being really old, and due to the events of the story the owner had no real interest in renovating it or anything. So the architecture is fine. I just need a few little things to set the time period. Later I'm gonna look into how to import penumbra objects and if I feel I can handle it I'll buy a copy of that and black plague.

08-19-2014, 03:06 AM
Find
falconpewds Offline

Threads: 0

[Image: RXs3rbH.jpg]

im new to hpl2
i cant make it look as good as fictional games, why??!
08-20-2014, 11:25 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

(08-20-2014, 11:25 PM)falconpewds Wrote: im new to hpl2

Practise, practise, practise. Study their environments and learn from it. Experiment. Try things out and see how they end up. Make sense and be creative. Give it time.

There ya go buddy.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2014, 11:36 PM by Mudbill.)
08-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Hey there and welcome to the forum! c:

Let's see if I can help you out with this a bit:
  • That rock n the left is way too stretched - you can see the pixels on it, which is bad. If you want a rock wall, may I suggest using one of the cave walls?
  • The tiles on the floors are also stretched very oddly. They usually look best at 0.5 1 0.5
  • You have a ceiling on the floor (which we can see through). They don't really make that much sense.
  • Usually, when there's pillars, they have some purpose - like supporting a ceiling (which your map is lacking; you need to put in a ceiling too)
  • Your static decal on the floor (below the window) is for the cellar base floors, so it doesn't really go with the torture chamber floors. If you're going to do something like that, it needs to have a much more seamless transition
  • Speaking of seamless transitions, that mansionbase window looks a little odd next to all that dungeonbase stuff. Cover up the mansion-base parts with planes (using the dungeon base wall texture) and use the welders to create new lines for the window panes. That should do the trick
  • Your lighting seems a little rushed. Based on what I'm seeing, I'm guessing you used a really huge pointlight (a boxligtht wouldnt create any shadows). You could try changing that to a spotlight in front of the window (with a gobo, and turn on cast shadows, just make sure the gobo matches the window's shape), put a dimmer pointlight by it (probably not much larger than 7) and then use a boxlight to light up the rest of the room. The boxlight should be the dimmest part
  • Use something other than white for lighting colour. It can look okay when done properly, but it's much easier to make coloured lighting look better. You can change the colour by clicking the tiny white square when you have a light selected. This might help with picking colours that go good together and this will help with basic colour theory a bit more than just staring at a colour wheel.
  • Start adding some more detail to your maps once you have the basic shape planned out: static dirt decals under pillars and rocks for gathered dust, fog particle systems in the air, billboards to simulate light reflecting off of dust, light dust particles near the window so there's a bit of movement in your map, stuff like that Big Grin

That's all I can think of for now, hope that helps you out a bit!

Oh and ignore Robosprog, he's just a little jealous of your skills

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2014, 11:46 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
08-20-2014, 11:44 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

thems big words coming from a girl with jelly in her name

[Image: signature-2.png]
08-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

(08-20-2014, 11:25 PM)falconpewds Wrote: [Image: RXs3rbH.jpg]

im new to hpl2

My new wallpaper. In my bahtroom, of course.
08-21-2014, 01:30 AM
Find