Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Group Four: a story of greed and vengeance
Canopus Offline

Threads: 1
Group Four: a story of greed and vengeance

Hello forums!!

I finally could manage to get HPL editor running, and wanted to share with you the first custom story I've ever done. I am trying to aim for some quality, that said, I know that most of the maps are missing great deals of detail, and there will be more detail, better lighting, more atmosphere.... etc but I'm trying to get the maps more or less done.

Most probably there will be bugs aplenty, that's why I would greatly appreciate your testing(and feedback!Smile).

So, there is it: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gsaz6o...tities.zip

I hope you enjoy.

Cheers!

EDIT: Links to Screenshots
http://www.mediafire.com/view/8v7yfc8txc...orNote.png
http://www.mediafire.com/view/l7959kbktb...nHalls.jpg (this one I did with Amnesia itself, I started pressing keys, but I don't really know what key is it...)
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2014, 03:34 PM by Canopus.)
10-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49
RE: Group Four: a story of greed and vengeance

Sorry, but when it comes to things like these, try to make it look less suspicious.
Post screenshots, tell about the story, if it even has one, etc. Tell more about the project you've made.
Make it look more promising, so people even dare to look at your creation, if not to download what you've uploaded.
10-13-2014, 02:16 PM
Find
burge4150 Offline

Threads: 15

Checked it out.

Mapping is nice, no huge glitches but there is a ton of open and unused space. The detailing needs some work like you said. Where you DID detail you can tell you just made one set of whatever it was you were making then copy pasted it all over the place. (Books on shelves are all the same pattern, dust is evenly spaced, etc). Try to bring some randomness to it.

Level 3 brought my computer to its knees upon loading. I'm not sure what happened but it was unplayable (my PC plays battlefield 4 on ultra settings, so it was a mapping or scripting issue). I opened it in the editor and got some errors too. Might want to look into that.

Also, I didn't find a lantern, not sure if you put one in or not. For a first go at HPL I think it's pretty good.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2014, 02:24 PM by burge4150.)
10-13-2014, 02:23 PM
Find
Canopus Offline

(10-13-2014, 02:23 PM)burge4150 Wrote: Level 3 brought my computer to its knees upon loading. I'm not sure what happened but it was unplayable (my PC plays battlefield 4 on ultra settings, so it was a mapping or scripting issue). I opened it in the editor and got some errors too. Might want to look into that.

Also, I didn't find a lantern, not sure if you put one in or not. For a first go at HPL I think it's pretty good.

By level 3 you mean level 03_sanctuary.map? I am aware that scratch.map (the starting level, which you visit two times) has some issues with entities, but 03_sanctuary works just fine for me. Perhaps it has to do with the custom entities but, then again, they should be included in the zip file... I'm puzzled as of now.

Also, there is a lantern (on the very first level).

Cheers!
10-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Find
burge4150 Offline

Yes, the issue I had was 03_sanctuary. Framerate dropped to well below 1fps, and it took me 3-4 minutes to get the escape menu to come up to exit out.

Maybe it's just me, but when I opened it in the editor it also gave errors.
10-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

There can be mesh violation, or something corresponding.
Since I believe the map is simple, I recommend to redo it completely, so the story is at least playable, if you still want your project tested.
10-13-2014, 09:12 PM
Find
Canopus Offline

I will check the Mediafire upload in case the map got corrupted or something...
If it's not, I'll do a quick fix so that at least the rest of the story is playable (luckily sanctuary is just a story level, you only get to retrieve one note which will disable something I've set disabled from the start, so yeah...). Will edit this post when I got the results.

EDIT: Link is: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gsaz6o...tities.zip (technically the sanctuary is still there, you can enter it with the editor. The 03_sanctuary in the root folder does nothing and can be deleted, it just slipped past me..Smile

Also, could you post here exactly what kind of error does it give when you open it on the editor? It just does work wonders for me, even when I replaced the original file with the one on MediaFire. I am guessing it has to do with some purple torches in the lower part of the level (next to an iron maiden), but I have no idea about why should it give problems...
If you have similar issues with 05_red_halls then it is most definitely something about custom entities.

Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2014, 03:33 PM by Canopus.)
10-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Find
burge4150 Offline

Exact error in editor: "Found some errors while loading file. Check Log for Details. File index out of bounds!"

The log file:
"ERROR: Unable to open config file 'MainEditorSettings.cfg'! Invalid filepointer returned!
ERROR: Unable to open config file 'C:/Users/Brian/Documents/HPL2/LevelEditor.cfg'! Invalid filepointer returned!
"

Note that the editor works fine for all other projects, so it's not an issue on my end.

Edit: Same error on 05_red_castle. All other maps seem OK.
(This post was last modified: 10-14-2014, 12:01 PM by burge4150.)
10-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Find
Canopus Offline

Trying to fix it again by trying to remove any instances of custom entities on the affected maps (no purple/red torches). For some odd reason it has always worked for me, custom entities and all. I do not know what could be possibly happening with that entities. Could you try adding one of my entities (/testcs/entities/chandelier_nice_red.ent or ./torch_static01/torch_static_(purple/red).ent) by creating a vanilla lamp and then changing the entity file to it (how I did it originally)?

I even deleted temp files and reinstalled amnesia, and the only way I could get any kind of error was when I deleted the custom_stories dir from the resources.cfg and even then the only "error" was those entities disappearing.

Also I updated both of the links above to the new version. Tell me if the issue persists.
10-14-2014, 03:43 PM
Find
Darkfire Offline

Threads: 22

I'm about halfway through the first level, and:

1. No story at all (yet ?)
2. MORE DECALS
3. Some blinking models (example: after opening the first door after start)
4. Cool jumpscare (after picking machine room key), but using it once is enough.
5. You should use point lights more, because you use box lights wrong: there should be only a one for the WHOLE level. Transitions between 2 boxlights are hella ugly. Oh, and maybe you didn't notice, but usually lamps aren't enough to lighten the place. That's why u use point lights.
6. [Image: MIqJkkS.jpg] WHO PLACES CANDLES LIKE THAT
7. When you make sets of stairs, use another one to make the ceiling. It's quite perfect for that Smile
8. The jumpscare after pouring water to the bucket was pointless.
9. Speaking about... All the time I have no idea what am I doing. I dunno why did I pull the lever (and what did it do). And why did I collect the bucket.
When you make puzzles (or anything else, actually) think like you were the player, and you didn't know anything. Helps to make them more doable.
10. Make smaller
11. I was stuck, I couldn't find any more openable doors, so I went to the second location(in the basement, I think) There were torches at the begining. But then game crashed.

Now, please don't think I want to insult you in any way- I just point out what is wrong, or what could be done better. Maybe I'm mistaken, and actually you're a pro, but made the map as a draft ? Tongue
I actually like the level design, but it could be more detailed.

10-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Find