Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
Chrysler Offline

Threads: 2
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

(01-28-2015, 08:27 PM)Macgyverthehero Wrote: Is Frictional Games going to do something with SOMA's monsters to try to compete with Creative Assembly's Xenomorph AI?
I do not know the AI in Alien: Isolation but what I know is that Thomas said multiple times that they deliberately keep the AI of enemies very simple and instead rely on the imagination of the player. They make encounters very short and have several different enemies each with a unique system behind it so that the player cannot easily spot the underlying mechanic.
01-30-2015, 01:40 AM
Find
The Lynx Offline

Threads: 1

(01-30-2015, 01:40 AM)Chrysler Wrote: [quote='Macgyverthehero' pid='315082' dateline='1422473277']
Is Frictional Games going to do something with SOMA's monsters to try to compete with Creative Assembly's Xenomorph AI?

Gonna add my own mustard here:
In my opinion it wouldn't hurt if the AI could make the monster walk around immovable objects instead of hoping to phase through them.

Except this has been already fixed in AAMFP, then I stand corrected.

Apathy is death
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2015, 12:49 PM by The Lynx.)
01-31-2015, 12:45 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Here are the details of Thomas' upcoming talk at IndieCade East on the 14th of February:

Playing a Story: How narrative and gameplay can become one and the same

The talk will be recorded and shared online afterwards.

02-06-2015, 05:57 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(02-06-2015, 05:57 AM)Paddy™ Wrote: The talk will be recorded and shared online afterwards.

That's great news, all the other times we had to wait half a year or more to get the video version.
02-06-2015, 04:59 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Thomas is an idol of game design. There are quite a lot of good games out there, but Penumbra and Amnesia are definitely masterpieces in history.

Masterpieces in history are also the following ones in the genres RPG, Adventure, and Racing:

- Gothic (2001)
- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (1999)
- Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed (2000)

No modern game is better. Frictional Games is one of the rare developers of the "modern times" whose goal is to maintain those ultimative design qualities.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015, 05:49 PM by Googolplex.)
02-06-2015, 05:47 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(02-06-2015, 05:47 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Thomas is an idol of game design. There are quite a lot of good games out there, but Penumbra and Amnesia are definitely masterpieces in history.

Masterpieces in history are also the following ones in the genres RPG, Adventure, and Racing:

- Gothic (2001)
- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (1999)
- Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed (2000)

No modern game is better. Frictional Games is one of the rare developers of the "modern times" whose goal is to maintain those ultimative design qualities.

Spoiler below!
[Image: Hahaa+mfw+when+i+see+obama+as+kfc+_9a7e6...d78549.png]

Gothic is the most bugged and unfinished game I have ever played. How is that a masterpiece?
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015, 06:41 PM by Slanderous.)
02-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Off-topic:
Spoiler below!

Where is Gothic bugged? Have you played the unpatched release version (1.06l)?
Gothic 3 was plagued by massive bugs when it came out, but after 6 years of updating it is almost free of bugs!

Anyway, when I'm talking of Gothic I mean the first two parts of the series. They are BY FAR better than everything out there.

It's not floral-fantasy mainstream like TES: "Ooooh, dear traveler. Where the path?"

Gothic is a decent and immersive RPG about story depth and harsh atmosphere, not about walking around in a neverending world with 08-15 story, kill monsters again and again & skill your hero using tables of numbers!

I rather play a good game with some bugs than a bad game without bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnfLU_GtcSU

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015, 08:45 PM by Googolplex.)
02-06-2015, 07:52 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

Massive off-topic below
Spoiler below!

(02-06-2015, 07:52 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Off-topic:
Where is Gothic bugged? Have you played the unpatched release version (1.06l)?
Gothic 3 was plagued by massive bugs when it came out, but after 6 years of updating it is almost free of bugs!

Anyway, when I'm talking of Gothic I mean the first two parts of the series. They are BY FAR better than everything out there.

It's not floral-fantasy mainstream like TES: "Ooooh, dear traveler. Where the path?"

Gothic is a decent and immersive RPG about story depth and harsh atmosphere, not about walking around in a neverending world with 08-15 story, kill monsters again and again & skill your hero using tables of numbers!

I rather play a good game with some bugs than a bad game without bugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnfLU_GtcSU

The game is just unfinished. See how many ideas Piranha guys had, arena, so many interesting quests that were unfinished and abandoned (the early trailer is good reference here). I personally like Gothic 2 with addon more than Gothic 1, it seems more completed and actually really, really enjoyable. I bet I spent over 2000 hours in Gothic 2, if not more. Gothic 1 is just terribly unfinished and unpolished. The game had a LOT of potential, for example the unfinished mine, you could put so much stuff in here.

As I already stated: I did not say that Gothic I is terrible, along with G2 they were my first PC games ever. I just don't see a reason why some people call it a masterpiece. I always felt that G1 is still in alpha version when I played it.

(02-06-2015, 07:52 PM)Googolplex Wrote: kill monsters again and again & skill your hero using tables of numbers

Uhm, Gothic series are actually pretty much like that (like most of the RPG games). Isn't it what's really important in RPG games? You can't reject the fact that you don't kill monsters and don't gain those learn points (whatever they were called) in Gothic.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2015, 09:52 PM by Slanderous.)
02-06-2015, 09:51 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Spoiler below!

(02-06-2015, 09:51 PM)Lazzer Wrote: The game is just unfinished. See how many ideas Piranha guys had, arena, so many interesting quests that were unfinished and abandoned (the early trailer is good reference here). I personally like Gothic 2 with addon more than Gothic 1, it seems more completed and actually really, really enjoyable. I bet I spent over 2000 hours in Gothic 2, if not more. Gothic 1 is just terribly unfinished and unpolished. The game had a LOT of potential, for example the unfinished mine, you could put so much stuff in here.

As I already stated: I did not say that Gothic I is terrible, along with G2 they were my first PC games ever. I just don't see a reason why some people call it a masterpiece. I always felt that G1 is still in alpha version when I played it.

I don't know how people could say Gothic 1 is unfinished. The game is like it should be. Arena fight is actually in there! Where did you see abandoned quests in the trailer? The quest design is the best of all RPGs. No wonder that CD Projekt used Gothic as their main inspiration for The Witcher 3. Which mine do you mean is unfinished? The mine at the beginning is just collapsed. There is no need to show interiors behind the gate. But yes, Gothic 2 is also a masterpiece. It is even bigger and more complex than the first game, but the atmosphere is less murky: More colors, flowers, green trees and friendly voice acting etc.
The story is also not as good than the first game. But both are very equal and the "real" Gothics.

(02-06-2015, 09:51 PM)Lazzer Wrote: Uhm, Gothic series are actually pretty much like that (like most of the RPG games). Isn't it what's really important in RPG games? You can't reject the fact that you don't kill monsters and don't gain those learn points (whatever they were called) in Gothic.

I haven't said you won't kill monsters, but I have said it's not the primary goal of the game like in most other RPGs. Monsters aren't even "evil enemies" or something like that. They are more acting like real animals that are part of a believable world. The skill system is not simply based on a menu screen where you can learn new skills by spending points in a specific category. Everything will happen first hand directly into the world.
This are just some little examples what makes Gothic unique from the rest.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2015, 03:15 PM by Googolplex.)
02-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Threads: 63

I hope SOMA comes out in the summer or christmas period. Smile
02-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Find