Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skybox
BeautifulCorpse Offline

Threads: 2
Skybox

So i read that the skyboxes were messed up. Im not sure if it still is, and if so, when it will be fixed, but i still wanted to know, how does one go about making a skybox?

I know, "look it up" but i tried, and i get lost in seas of blather about unity .-. or just lost in the words of the masses in general. I got what i needed for my skybox already, a simple premade free downloadable one off of a site. A simple primarily white one.

But, i dont know how to go about "putting it in" my level. And again, if the skybox is still messed up, that is fine, i just want to know what to do so when it does fix, it will fix. C: also, its good knowledge to know. Thank you!
05-31-2015, 01:56 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
RE: Skybox

Rom can probably explain better than me how to create one, or you can check out the wiki page he wrote about it. https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/tu...tutorial_7

Jens said they won't be able to fix them until after SOMA is released. I expect it to take a bit more than that as well, because they're probably going to be ironing out bugs for SOMA before it as well.

To apply a skybox, to go the level settings in the LevelEditor (Edit > Level settings). Tick "Active" and select the file. You can also use SetSkyBoxTexture as a script.

Temporarily, you can fix the messed up skyboxes by replacing a dll file in your installation. I'm unsure how this is done on systems other than Windows though.

05-31-2015, 02:28 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
RE: Skybox

(05-31-2015, 01:56 AM)BeautifulCorpse Wrote: So i read that the skyboxes were messed up. Im not sure if it still is, and if so, when it will be fixed, but i still wanted to know, how does one go about making a skybox?

Welcome to the forum!
Skyboxes are relatively easy to make, you more or less just need to follow some construction rules. As Mudbill above me mentioned, if you take a look at my wiki entry, you can look at how to construct one using a Horizontal Strip format in photoshop. You can also refer to a video tutorial about making one in GIMP which is also available from that wiki page.

Skyboxes are still messed up. An update to Amnesia's 1.3.1 installation has not been released yet. The file which changed is called DevIL.dll. I included a DevIL on the wiki page which will fix them up on your computer, however, since Skyboxes are still problematic as of the latest update, you can be certain not everyone will have it.

(05-31-2015, 01:56 AM)BeautifulCorpse Wrote: But, i dont know how to go about "putting it in" my level. And again, if the skybox is still messed up, that is fine, i just want to know what to do so when it does fix, it will fix. C: also, its good knowledge to know. Thank you!

For the sake of developing, don't let the messed up Skybox deter you from experimenting.
If you simply replace the DevIL file, then you can do whatever you want with Skyboxes and see if one works well with your map.

Adding on to what Mudbill said, if you're using a "textured" skybox (that is, one which you made), make sure that wherever you place it, it can be found by the resources.cfg file. In most cases, placing it in your custom_stories folder will work fine!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions! I love stuffing around with skyboxes! Smile

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
05-31-2015, 03:22 AM
Find