Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

(08-02-2015, 09:48 PM)TheDoctorPoo Wrote: Will the game show on Steam 'Day One' or will it go on Steam five days before the release?

I would like to know the price so I don't get any repercussions.

My guess - it'll be on steam 5 days AFTER the release.

Srsly now: When the system requirements will be done, we can do pre order. Thomas said the pre order will be 2-1 months before release, so we definitely going to get steam page in the next 3 weeks.

This forum is dead
08-02-2015, 10:11 PM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(08-02-2015, 05:45 PM)TheTieMan Wrote: I hope there will be achievements in the game :3

I have my own sources that suggest that there are achievements, but I cannot tell you anything about them beyond that :3

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
08-02-2015, 10:29 PM
Find
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11

What did The Dark Descent and Machine For Pigs retail for when they launched?

I know they're still $20 now on Steam (though of course they're always discounted during sales).

I dunno though. As much as I'd like it to retail low, given that they've been working on this game for 5 years (and not 5 years of mismanagement and micromanagement that the "AAA" devs mess up) they should price it at the value they think it is worth and I for one would gladly pay.
08-02-2015, 10:32 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(08-02-2015, 10:29 PM)Romulator Wrote:
(08-02-2015, 05:45 PM)TheTieMan Wrote: I hope there will be achievements in the game :3

I have my own sources that suggest that there are achievements, but I cannot tell you anything about them beyond that :3

I don't care, as long as there are achievements Big Grin

This forum is dead
08-02-2015, 11:27 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

no way theres gonna be achievements. they take you out of the immersion. frictional is too good for that

and for retail price, i'd say 21.99 at the cheapest but i'd expect them to go higher, maybe 27.99 at the max.

they might end up pricing it at 21.99 and reducing the other amnesias to 16.99 or something. just speculation.

like i'd pay gta 5 prices for this game just to support frictional but not many people would. i imagine they'd price it modestly so that more people play it and tell their friends so they can make more money off of word of mouth. free marketing

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015, 03:51 AM by Damascus Rose.)
08-03-2015, 03:47 AM
Find
PathOS Offline

It's really going to help a ton that HPL3 is going to be mod-able and will allow people to start creating custom stories immediately.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but A Machine For Pigs didn't include any of the game's assets in its release so no one was able to create any custom stories for that game (shame).

I can only imagine that there will be many cool stories people will create with the SOMA assets. Heh, imagine combining the TDD assets with the SOMA assets. Wink

If I had to guess, it will be priced $30, $40 at most.
08-03-2015, 05:03 AM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

AMFP did come with the assets, or the game wouldn't have had any assets.. Tongue

What it didn't come with was an updated level editor capable of handeling the latest verision of the engine.
08-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(08-03-2015, 03:47 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: no way theres gonna be achievements. they take you out of the immersion. frictional is too good for that

The game is coming for PS4. I would say there will be Trophies, so why would it be impossible to have Achievements on Steam as well? If they break immersion, you can turn off your Steam Overlay; so nothing pops up. Besides, many people have been requesting them for a long time and Frictional Games are ready to move on to other platforms now.

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015, 01:15 PM by Yuhaney.)
08-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Website Find
PathOS Offline

(08-03-2015, 09:35 AM)Traggey Wrote: AMFP did come with the assets, or the game wouldn't have had any assets.. Tongue

What it didn't come with was an updated level editor capable of handeling the latest verision of the engine.
Heh, ok, that makes more sense. So even though the assets were there for users to look at, there was no way to use them since the HPL2 Engine was not updated for modding purposes when AMFP was released.

I wonder why that was the case? Was it because TheChineseRoom was mostly updating the engine for their purposes and they didn't/weren't able to do so in a way that would make their updated engine mod-able?

Actually, that brings up a question. Will the HPL3 Editor be able to make use of TDD and AMFP's assets?
08-03-2015, 06:14 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(08-03-2015, 01:14 PM)IIPEE Wrote:
(08-03-2015, 03:47 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: no way theres gonna be achievements. they take you out of the immersion. frictional is too good for that

The game is coming for PS4. I would say there will be Trophies, so why would it be impossible to have Achievements on Steam as well? If they break immersion, you can turn off your Steam Overlay; so nothing pops up. Besides, many people have been requesting them for a long time and Frictional Games are ready to move on to other platforms now.

How would achievements add anything to the experience of playing these games? They are all about the personal experience, the horror build-up, the fear when a monster is nearby, the emotions attached to the story etc. Imagine you just got chased by the first monster you've encountered and in a terrifying climax you get cornered and killed by this beast. Then an achievement or trophy appears "Achievement Get: Get killed by a monster!" That just takes you out of the whole thing, doesn't it. It seems too fickle and game-y for the type of game they are making.

Achievements for other games like GTA or skyrim add to the game because they give gratification for something you've accomplished, like a quest or some such.
In the vanishing of ethan carter, even though its more about immersion and storytelling, achievements added to the game in the same way. You just completed one of ethans stories, here's an achievement to solidify the accomplishment! Or you solved the mystery of one of the deaths, here you go! It adds to the game, because that's the way the game is designed.

In soma it just wouldn't work. Say you make a decision to progress where you leave a robot suffering. Achievement Get: Leave Carl to Suffer! I don't see a situation where achievements would add anything, let alone not detract from the experience.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2015, 06:45 PM by Damascus Rose.)
08-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Find