Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

(09-01-2015, 06:31 PM)TheTieMan Wrote: I think that in the moment when I put in my brain something that changes the way I'm thinking/living/behaving, I stop being who I am! Even the smallest chip will change the way I'm thinking and the way I'm feeling. For my opinion, this is absolutely not being me.

Even if you replace a single brain cell with a chip? That would be very strange. Heck, you can lose brain cells just by banging your head. Whatever consciousness is, it's pretty robust.

Also, consider the fact that your cells are continuously being replaced. You're literally not the same person you were a few years ago, or even a few minutes ago.
09-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(09-01-2015, 06:47 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote:
(09-01-2015, 06:31 PM)TheTieMan Wrote: I think that in the moment when I put in my brain something that changes the way I'm thinking/living/behaving, I stop being who I am! Even the smallest chip will change the way I'm thinking and the way I'm feeling. For my opinion, this is absolutely not being me.

What if it was a brain implant to help someone overcome the loss of a function caused by a stroke or head injury, or simply to allow a deaf or blind person to hear/see? Would that change your perspective?

Even if I will have to replace my braincells from any reason, from the perspective of SOMA's A.I tech/Any other advanced Android human tech or whatever, I think it'll change my behavior, and the original me, won't be there anymore. Why? Because the way I'm thinking has been changed by the chip.

This forum is dead
09-01-2015, 07:47 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

What about foreign bodies in your brain? Perhaps small parts of the bomb? Some people live with these whole live. The impact sure did change their initial brain structure so they are no longer who they are?

Following this logic, constant changes in our brain structure through our life (as we grow up and get older) is pretty similar in concept and thus we are constantly devolve from "who we are" through our life, heh.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-01-2015, 09:02 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-01-2015, 07:47 PM)TheTieMan Wrote:

What if it was a brain implant to help someone overcome the loss of a function caused by a stroke or head injury, or simply to allow a deaf or blind person to hear/see? Would that change your perspective?

Even if I will have to replace my braincells from any reason, from the perspective of SOMA's A.I tech/Any other advanced Android human tech or whatever, I think it'll change my behavior, and the original me, won't be there anymore. Why? Because the way I'm thinking has been changed by the chip.

I think that if you still have the conciousness (whatever that means) that you had before, then you're still 'you'. Not the same you, but still you nonetheless. Because that's really all that we know about ourselves, is that we have a conciousness. Everything else is unknowable

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
09-02-2015, 02:56 AM
Find
GhylTarvoke Offline

Threads: 14

(09-02-2015, 02:56 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I think that if you still have the conciousness (whatever that means) that you had before, then you're still 'you'. Not the same you, but still you nonetheless. Because that's really all that we know about ourselves, is that we have a conciousness. Everything else is unknowable

Agree 100%.
09-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Find
TiManGames Offline

(09-02-2015, 02:56 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(09-01-2015, 07:47 PM)TheTieMan Wrote:

I think that if you still have the conciousness (whatever that means) that you had before, then you're still 'you'. Not the same you, but still you nonetheless. Because that's really all that we know about ourselves, is that we have a conciousness. Everything else is unknowable

I am not counting the "me" as a conciousness only, I believe that the "me" is made of physical body (the atari body, mental body, emotions, brain) and the non physical body (soul and such). If one of the physicall body segment is damaged (chip), I am not a 100% me anymore.

This forum is dead
09-02-2015, 02:29 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4

Sure, physically, but if your thought patterns are the same as before, isn't that still you?

If someone's conciousness is transferred to a machine, sure their physical body is gone, but it's still them inside a new body.

If your mind was transferred to an exact replica of your current body (down to the cellular level) is that still you, or is it not you?
09-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Find
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34

Basiclly, every human of Earth believes in duality of our nature: soul and body and their interactions.
I think consciousness is a manifestation of this interaction in our brain. My personal view is that when we'll completely understand brain's behaviour, that will be our next evolution as mankind.

I believe our creator had put some ID code in our soul so that when you left your body you know it's you.
09-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

(09-02-2015, 03:27 PM)brus Wrote: Basiclly, every human of Earth believes in duality of our nature: soul and body and their interactions.
I think consciousness is a manifestation of this interaction in our brain. My personal view is that when we'll completely understand brain's behaviour, that will be our next evolution as mankind.

I believe our creator had put some ID code in our soul so that when you left your body you know it's you.

I belive that the body cannot live without something that will turn it on. (soul).

I think that too when you leave your body you recognize the true yourself again, but I belive when you live your physical life you kinda lose connection between your brain and your "soul". The physical take over the Spirituality.

This forum is dead
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2015, 03:38 PM by TiManGames.)
09-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4

(09-02-2015, 03:27 PM)brus Wrote: Basiclly, every human of Earth believes in duality of our nature: soul and body and their interactions.

I wouldn't say every human Wink

Our mental state is very much the reaction of our physical state. The two are intrinsically tied together.

I'm an agnostic athiest. I don't believe that body and sould are separate entities. I believe my mind is a cog in the whole of the machine. Once the machine breaks down, the mind goes with it. Pooof. Darkness.

No magical separation of physical and mental.
09-02-2015, 04:49 PM
Find