Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 29 Vote(s) - 4.45 Average
The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread
MrSteve Offline

Threads: 4
RE: The Ultimate SOMA Discussion Thread

Must.....have.....this.....game.

I pre-ordered and I've been good aaaaallll year.

So Frictional, y'now......*Slides £10 note across the table

Wink, wink Wink
09-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Find
ShadowDraft Offline

Threads: 2

I bought an additional copy on GOG just for uh .. research and having a release version.

Can't wait aswell Big Grin
09-03-2015, 03:12 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

That's dedication Smile
09-03-2015, 03:29 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(09-03-2015, 04:11 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I think frictional's games are meant to be fun. Exploring, uncovering story, living in a different world, scaring the bejeezus out of yourself are all fun as hell. It's just not fun in the traditional 'gamey' sense, but it is in its own unique way. And it's designed that way as well, to be satisfying. Amnesia was one of the most fun games I've experienced and even more so because it did it differently than anything else that I've played.

So are thematics of sad emotions or mental illness/depression also "fun" for you?
Amnesia was different than anything else because it was not a fun-game.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015, 03:35 PM by Googolplex.)
09-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-03-2015, 03:34 PM)Googolplex Wrote:
(09-03-2015, 04:11 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: I think frictional's games are meant to be fun. Exploring, uncovering story, living in a different world, scaring the bejeezus out of yourself are all fun as hell. It's just not fun in the traditional 'gamey' sense, but it is in its own unique way. And it's designed that way as well, to be satisfying. Amnesia was one of the most fun games I've experienced and even more so because it did it differently than anything else that I've played.

So are thematics of sad emotions or mental illness/depression also "fun" for you?

No, those things are depressing. People don't round up all their friends to go and watch a sad film, but they might watch horror because it's fun.

And what makes amnesia different is its ability to use atmosphere, environments, and the player's imagination to scare them more effectively than a game had done before, while also popularizing this modern horror theme of not being able to fight back. Everything else it did is fairly common. The design of the game is essentially FPS with no guns.

On an unrelated note, to the people talking about the second law of thermodynamics in relation to the beginning of the universe- the universe has a net neutral energy. That means that it doesn't actually require any external energy to start.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
09-03-2015, 03:46 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

To be honest, I don't play games because I want to find them depressing.

I buy them to you know, enjoy.

The clue is in name 'Game' Smile

I thought Amnesia was fun. Fear can be fun. I found at times I was jumping out of my skin, when I saw a Monster. I would say something like 'Oh S' to myself and then chuckle.

There was joy in progressing with the story of Amnesia and then satisfaction at it's ultimate conclusion.
09-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(09-03-2015, 01:17 PM)Kein Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jQQAVMxbkA

Finally! Some Delta station footage.

This forum is dead
09-03-2015, 04:05 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Delta looks creepy
09-03-2015, 04:09 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(09-03-2015, 03:46 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(09-03-2015, 03:34 PM)Googolplex Wrote:

No, those things are depressing. People don't round up all their friends to go and watch a sad film, but they might watch horror because it's fun.

And what makes amnesia different is its ability to use atmosphere, environments, and the player's imagination to scare them more effectively than a game had done before, while also popularizing this modern horror theme of not being able to fight back. Everything else it did is fairly common. The design of the game is essentially FPS with no guns.

On an unrelated note, to the people talking about the second law of thermodynamics in relation to the beginning of the universe- the universe has a net neutral energy. That means that it doesn't actually require any external energy to start.

Real horror is panic and panic is NOT fun! There are fun horror movies, but I think we are not talking about that. You said that in Amnesia you are not able to fight back and there are no guns. This are the best examples why the gameplay is not fun oriented. Horror and fun doesn't fit together. Play Neverending Nightmares. I'm sure you'll enjoy it, but it's about depression.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015, 04:13 PM by Googolplex.)
09-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Find
MrSteve Offline

Just to clarify your point, could you please show me where at any point Frictional have said that their games should not be fun?

Isn't this all about the individual experience?
09-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Find