Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOMA will not start
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks ago RE: SOMA will not start
Is the win7 64-bit?
09-22-2015, 07:42 PM
Website Find
Hognisig Offline

Threads: 0
(09-22-2015, 07:42 PM)jens Wrote: Is the win7 64-bit?

Yes it its

Regards,
Högni
09-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Right-click on the soma.exe and make sure you run it with the nvidia graphics card incase there is an option for it to run on the integrated graphics card.

Try installing http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...x?id=13523 it should be installed with the game but might be something went wrong.
09-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Website Find
untitled1015 Offline

Hello, I am trying to run Soma and the executable will not start.

My computer is running Windows 10 64-bit with an AMD Radeon R9 200 Series graphics card. I tried all the recommended suggestions in both this thread and the thread regarding troubleshooting graphics card issues, but I cannot get the game to launch.

I have attached the hpl.log. I also noticed an error in the Application Event Log indicating a fault in atig6txx.dll - see log text file also attached.

I have updated to the latest AMD drivers, and even tried the Beta driver, but nothing seems to work.

I would really love to play this game.

Thank you.

Attached Files
.txt   Windows_Event_log.txt (Size: 1.78 KB / Downloads: 142)
.log   hpl.log (Size: 2.92 KB / Downloads: 158)
09-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Have you tried changing options in the amd control panel for the graphics card? I have a faint memory of Amnesia being abel to crash if there was a conflicting setting with vsync in control panel vs game.
09-22-2015, 08:42 PM
Website Find
untitled1015 Offline

(09-22-2015, 08:42 PM)jens Wrote: Have you tried changing options in the amd control panel for the graphics card? I have a faint memory of Amnesia being abel to crash if there was a conflicting setting with vsync in control panel vs game.

I did try changing those settings, but that didn't seem to help with Soma. I am also running Amnesia:TDD and Amnesia:AMFP with no issues on the same machine.
09-22-2015, 08:53 PM
Find
frictionalfan Offline

Threads: 2
(09-22-2015, 05:59 PM)jens Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 04:45 PM)frictionalfan Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 04:20 PM)jens Wrote: I think there are newer drivers available, you can try and update the drivers and see if that helps. Follow this guide https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/th...#pid277038

However, I think it is likely you will not get it to work and if you do the performance will likely be unplayable I am afraid.

And is this because my drivers are out of date? Or because of my graphics card? I think I've accidentally modified my drivers in the past so I can understand why that might be it.

But even with an update it may not run? Why is this?

Because the card you have is quite old, perhaps 5 years? and is integrated and not very powerful. The game needs OpenGL 3.3 and your card reports it only supports 3.1. Drivers sometimes include updates that increase the OpenGL support, so that is why updating drivers might make the game work. But even when it works it will likely not run very well.

Thanks for looking into it! It would have been nice if OpenGL 3.3 had been specified on steam so I could have done some digging on my comp before purchasing. Are these conditions right for a refund?
09-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Find
Hognisig Offline

(09-22-2015, 07:45 PM)jens Wrote: Right-click on the soma.exe and make sure you run it with the nvidia graphics card incase there is an option for it to run on the integrated graphics card.

Try installing http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/...x?id=13523 it should be installed with the game but might be something went wrong.

Did this with no luck.

Best regards,

Hogni
09-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Find
tjerker
Unregistered

I cant play this game, i get error message " Soma.exe has stopped working "
what can i do guys ?

-------- THE HPL ENGINE LOG ------------
Creating Engine Modules
--------------------------------------------------------
Creating job manager with 3 threads and 1024 jobs
Creating graphics module
Creating system module
Creating resource module
Creating input module
Creating sound module
Creating physics module
Creating ai module
Creating gui module
Creating generate module
Creating haptic module
Creating scene module
Creating script module
Creating lipsync module

Failed parsing of XML document : file not found
ERROR: Couldn't load XML file ''!
Initializing Resources Module
Creating loader handlers
Creating resource managers
Adding loaders to handlers

Initializing Graphics Module
Init lowlevel graphics: 1024x768 bpp:32 rr: 0 fs:2 ms:0 driver: 0 cap:'' posSad-1x-1)
Available drivers:
(0) - 'windows'
(1) - 'dummy'
Creating window: (-1,-1) 1024 x 768 - 32 bpp flags: 18
Setting display mode: 1024 x 768 - 32 bpp 0 hz
Init Glew...OK
Setting up OpenGL
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce GTX 760/PCIe/SSE2
Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 355.98
Max texture image units: 32
Max texture coord units: 8
Max texture buffer size: 134217728
Max texture array slices: 2048
Max user clip planes: 8
Two sided stencil: 1
Vertex Buffer Object: 1
Anisotropic filtering: 1
Max Anisotropic degree: 16
Multisampling: 1
Texture compression: 1
Texture compression S3TC: 1
Texture compression 3DC: 1
Texture sRGB: 1
Geometry Instancing: 1
Auto generate MipMaps: 1
Render to texture: 1
Max draw buffers: 8
Max color render targets: 8
Packed depth-stencil: 1
Texture float: 1
GLSL Version: 4.50 NVIDIA
ShaderModel 2: 1
ShaderModel 3: 1
ShaderModel 4: 1
Max vertex uniforms: 2048
Max fragment uniforms: 4096
OGL ATIFragmentShader: 0
Tesselation: 1
MultiBindTex: 1
Initializing DevIL
Vendor String: Abysmal Software
Version String: Developer's Image Library (DevIL) 1.7.8
Version Number: 178
Adding engine materials
Adding engine post effects

Initializing Sound Module
Initializing FMOD.

Initializing Game Module
Adding engine updates

User Initialization
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/gui/gui_def_frame_border_l.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'gui_def_frame_border_l.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/gui/gui_def_textbox_marker01.tga'
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/gui/gui_def_slider_vert_arrow_d.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'gui_def_slider_vert_arrow_d.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/gui/gui_def_button_up_corner_ld.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'gui_def_button_up_corner_ld.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/gui/gui_def_slider_vert_arrow_d.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'gui_def_slider_vert_arrow_d.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/gui/gui_def_slider_handle_hori.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'gui_def_slider_handle_hori.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/gui/gui_def_slider_handle_hori.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'gui_def_slider_handle_hori.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/gui/gui_def_button_up_corner_ld.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'gui_def_button_up_corner_ld.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/gui/gui_def_button_down_corner_ld.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'gui_def_button_down_corner_ld.tga'!
ERROR: Could not find gui skin 'gui_default' gfx FrameBorderLeft!
ERROR: Could not find gui skin 'gui_default' gfx ComboBoxButtonIcon!
ERROR: Could not find gui skin 'gui_default' gfx SliderHandleCornerLD!
ERROR: Could not find gui skin 'gui_default' gfx SliderVertArrowDown!
ERROR: Could not find gui skin 'gui_default' gfx SliderHandleHori!
ERROR: Could not find gui skin 'gui_default' gfx SliderHandleVert!
ERROR: Could not find gui skin 'gui_default' gfx ButtonUpCornerLD!
ERROR: Could not find gui skin 'gui_default' gfx ButtonDownCornerLD!
Initializing Steam API...success
Retrieving subscribed workshop items...No subscribed items found, nothing to do here

Game Running
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/graphics/startmenu/gfx/window/menu_corner_tl.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'graphics/startmenu/gfx/window/menu_corner_tl.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/graphics/startmenu/gfx/window/menu_border_left.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'graphics/startmenu/gfx/window/menu_border_left.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/graphics/startmenu/gfx/window/menu_border_right.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'graphics/startmenu/gfx/window/menu_border_right.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/graphics/startmenu/gfx/window/menu_corner_tl.tga'
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/graphics/startmenu/gfx/window/menu_border_left.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'graphics/startmenu/gfx/window/menu_border_left.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/graphics/startmenu/gfx/window/menu_border_right.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'graphics/startmenu/gfx/window/menu_border_right.tga'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/graphics/imgui/station/stationV2/button/small_border_left.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'stationV2/button/small_border_left'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/graphics/imgui/station/stationV2/button/small_border_bottom.tga'
ERROR: Could not load image 'stationV2/button/small_border_bottom'!
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/graphics/imgui/station/stationV2/button/small_border_left.tga'
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/graphics/imgui/station/stationV2/button/small_border_bottom.tga'
ERROR: Imagemanager Couldn't load bitmap 'F:/Program Files (x86)/Steam

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 5.2 KB / Downloads: 127)
09-23-2015, 01:05 AM
Unregistered

Same problem as the first chap. Hardware all good, but running on Vista 64 bit. Can't get the .exe to work. Tried downloading the suggested folder (vista4), but no luck.

Is this to be patched at some point after this post, or should I grab a refund?
09-23-2015, 01:33 AM
Jump to the post that solved this thread.