Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game runs, yet is completely unplayable
CuriousHouseElf
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Game runs, yet is completely unplayable
This game worked months ago when I had a much less powerful machine and now, no matter which control method I use (mouse and keyboard or Xbox One controller) the controls are completely glitched. The slightest movements make the screen do a complete and random change in direction, the gamepad worked far better, but the controls were still shoddy at best. I have found no troubleshooting advice helpful both on this site and on Google. All of my drivers are up to date, I even restarted my machine and tried a clean install and it's still completely broken. Any help would be appreciated.

Rig:
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Intel Core i7 2600
Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
24GB DDR3
09-27-2015, 12:48 AM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Game runs, yet is completely unplayable
Sounds like a background program is interfering. Could be a driver issue with your mouse even. Do you have anything you think could be the culprit?

09-27-2015, 03:47 AM
Find
RossisBoss Offline

Threads: 1
What's your mouse sensitivity at in your options?
09-27-2015, 03:48 AM
Find
CuriousHouseElf
Unregistered

I've tried all levels of mouse sensitivity in the game, and my mouse drivers are all up to date. And it doesn't work even when it's the only program running. Like I said it worked fine a few months ago when I had a worse GPU and less RAM and was on Windows 8 instead of 10. I haven't changed anything else on my rig. Same mouse, same keyboard, same everything.
09-27-2015, 07:01 AM
RossisBoss Offline

Threads: 1
For Mouse and Keyboard, is it only your mouse input that flails wildly? Or is your keyboard as problematic?
09-27-2015, 08:19 AM
Find
CuriousHouseElf
Unregistered

The mouse causes the most problems but the keyboard doesn't work as expected either. It takes sometimes 5 or six times of pressing escape to bring up the menu. And any of the wasd keys make Daniel float in that direction for much longer than he should. The controls all around just weren't performing as expected. If you want to see what it looks like I was streaming it at the time so I have a past broadcast that has it in it. I'll just have to grab the link.

Here, this is what the problem looks like. It's from the beginning of the video to around 5:30.
http://www.twitch.tv/curioushouseelf/v/17455519
09-27-2015, 02:43 PM
CurioushouseElf
Unregistered

Okay this is really starting to annoy me. I paid 20 dollars for this game, and it's completely unplayable. I've tried everything. I've tried removing background processes, clean installs, restarting my PC, updating drivers, changing graphics settings, running in windowed/full screen mode, and even running in compatibility mode. I can't even email the company about it because they state plainly that they ignore tech support emails. This is literally my only resource because everything Google has told me hasn't worked, and I'm finding out very quickly that I wasted 20 dollars that I can never get back. If frictional games really places such a low value on their paying customers that they ignore their tech issues, I definitely won't be purchasing another game of theirs in the future because this is ridiculous.
09-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Well, this issue is rather unique. Don't think I've stumbled upon anything quite like it before myself. If I had, I would at least have something to reference as a possible solution. I think Frictional Games is (unfortunately) very busy these days with tech support for SOMA, as that's their priority right now since it was released just last week after 5 years in development. I highly doubt they're ignoring this, I just think they haven't seen it yet.

Though, did you get the game on Steam? If so, a refund should be possible within 2 weeks/2 hours gameplay I think, though you might be beyond that. Edit: My bad, you surely are beyond.

I really wish I could provide more useful information.

If you do have it on Steam, perhaps it's worth trying to disable the Steam Overlay. You could also try posting the hpl.log file contents here. The file is found in Documents\Amnesia\Main. It might give some hints.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM by Mudbill.)
09-29-2015, 03:57 PM
Find
CuriousHouseElf
Unregistered

I actually just found a solution a few pages into the forum. Somebody posted a solution for resolution/mouse issues in newer versions of Windows. Basically you go into the properties of the exe file, go to compatibility, and check "disable display scaling on high dpi settings". That really ought to be stickied to the top of the forum if it can be. I feel like a lot of people will face it wince a lot of people are upgrading to Windows 10 as I have. Thread the person made is at https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-30559.html

I appreciate everybody who responded trying to help. You guys are rock stars.
09-29-2015, 04:07 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Thanks for reporting the fix. I'll keep that in mind if anyone comes around with a similar issue.

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 08:28 PM by Mudbill.)
09-29-2015, 08:28 PM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.