Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow. Thanks Frictional.
Tarand Offline

Threads: 2
Thumbs Up  Wow. Thanks Frictional.

* spoilers, you were warned *

I logged about 17 hours, good length for the game.

Where to begin? The environment was so immersive... that trek through the water at Tau was just amazing.

I like the fact that Catherine was with you... but she could only speak when you plugged her in. When you first find out she's going with you... I was like "oh no, another talking sword". Dodgy

I simply loved the moment when you first find a mirror and check yourself out. Shocking.. creepy. The voice actor for Simon... perfect... sounded like one of my friends that was put into that situation... unaware of what was happening.

The level where you have to fix the elevator and you have to program the door circuit board... I was stuck in that office for SO long... but somehow I managed to lock the creature in the room next to the security office. I just walked (no, really -- I WALKED) to the elevator and fixed it. I might not have had any weapons, but I finally won one. This kind of mechanism would have been great elsewhere... the chance to lock them in a room would have been nice. ;-)

The guy that talks to you near the end and asks for your help... that seemed to pop up and go away as fast it appeared... I know there was the messages that came up on the displays often enough... but it just felt like boom and it was over.

The save system had a minor glitch... to save anytime I wanted.. I had to exit the game... I did this... ALOT. I appreciate the number of save points but I like to do it when *I* want to.

The end.. I suppose a few years ago I could have railed against it not being the "perfect" ending, but hey, Simon already did that (at least the copy of Simon that I played did Tongue). It was how the story went... they would be copied and that's what happened (even though I did have the same thought that Simon did... I thought he would be moved not copied... sounds like a Windows problem. Heh.)

Masterful, Frictional. Thanks, what an experience.
09-27-2015, 03:34 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Wow. Thanks Frictional.

I agree with you, SOMA is the best sci-fi story ever and the most immersive video game experience since a very long time. I also played 17 hours (3 days) to finish. A great time!
09-27-2015, 05:12 PM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

(09-27-2015, 05:12 PM)Googolplex Wrote: I agree with you, SOMA is the best sci-fi story ever and the most immersive video game experience since a very long time. I also played 17 hours (3 days) to finish. A great time!

For me it took 12 hours to finish Smile

This forum is dead
09-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

Threads: 0

From someone who suffers from thalassophobia, I can't even begin to describe how terrifying the trek through Tau was.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2015, 07:04 PM by pinkribbonscars.)
09-27-2015, 07:04 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

(09-27-2015, 03:34 PM)Tarand Wrote: The end.. I suppose a few years ago I could have railed against it not being the "perfect" ending, but hey, Simon already did that (at least the copy of Simon that I played did Tongue).

Did you wait until after the credits?
09-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Find
Linus Ågren Offline

Threads: 58

(09-27-2015, 07:36 PM)hollowleviathan Wrote:
(09-27-2015, 03:34 PM)Tarand Wrote: The end.. I suppose a few years ago I could have railed against it not being the "perfect" ending, but hey, Simon already did that (at least the copy of Simon that I played did Tongue).

Did you wait until after the credits?

>>Megaspoiler below!!<<
Edit: Finished in 10 hours.

Spoiler below!
Hah, during the ARK-launch, my pulse was skyrocketing when I saw my scan was not going fast enough.

When the credits came and you just sat there I felt destroyed!
I've never felt so relieved when the "real" ending came after.
Thank god.

10/10

Creator of The Dark Treasure.
(This post was last modified: 09-27-2015, 08:44 PM by Linus Ågren.)
09-27-2015, 08:43 PM
Website Find
Fragr Offline

I can't believe i never thought to look in a mirror in my entire 11 hour playthrough... The first time i got a good look at myself was when
Spoiler below!
you copy yourself onto the power suit and get the option to kill your old self.

Guess that gives me an excuse to play through the whole thing again! Big Grin
09-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Find
Streetboat Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Don't forget there are a few choices you can make differently throughout and see how it changes things. I want to go back and see what happens when I don't kill the WAU.

[Image: signature-2.png]
09-27-2015, 10:12 PM
Find
JohnDoe Offline

I was going to start a new thread for this, but I guess it's better to just join in on this one.

Thank you Frictional, this was a wonderful game. There were a few rough patches, but the voice work, the story and the existential dread and horror... I haven't seen any other game match it.
09-27-2015, 10:14 PM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6

I logged nearly 19 hours. Absolute masterpiece, regardless of a couple of minor frustrations. An incredible piece of art from a little indie studio, and an obvious labour of love. Puts most giant developers to shame. Is there such a thing as "artisanal game writing"? Well there is now.

(09-27-2015, 07:04 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: From someone who suffers from thalassophobia, I can't even begin to describe how terrifying the trek through Tau was.

I had to stop at that point. The ride down the Climber had already put me on the edge; the trek to Tau took me two sessions with a significant break between them, and the better part of an hour.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 12:06 PM by Fortigurn.)
09-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Find