Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[FULL GAME SPOILERS] Who were the Monsters?
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11
[FULL GAME SPOILERS] Who were the Monsters?

It is pretty clear that all the monsters were either corrupted human bodies by the structure gel/WAU or Robots that had the Ark scans placed in them who went insane.

But who were they all? Clearly most were personnel of Pathos 2, but I still don't know which was whom, but I'd like to.

If anyone has ideas or knows for sure, I'll update this list with monster info and details:

[TYPE]
[LOCATION]
[MONSTER NAME]
[HUMAN NAME]
[BACKGROUND]

Monster 1
[Two-legged Walker Robot]
[Upsilon A]
["The Construct"]
[???]
[Robot was held inert in Upsilon Manufacturing until Simon walked by and it became possessed by ???. A similar robot attacked Carl and Amy]
Spoiler below!
[Image: 20qOHKM.jpg]

Monster 2
[Teleporting humanoid, aka "Disco-Ball-Head"]
[Lambda and The CURIE]
["The Jiangshi"]
[Adam Golaski?]
[??? origins, though speculated could be Adam Golaski given his ingestion of Structure Gel and his last known location in Lambda. Attacked the robot Catherine to prevent her from doing her work. Followed Simon to the CURIE where it was possibly destroyed with the ship]
Spoiler below!
[Image: U5866CS.jpg]

Monster 3
[Blind shambling corpses]
[Theta]
[???]
[Akers and proxies]
[Akers was a Delta worker who, while staying isolated by choice at Delta, became obsessed with the WAU to the point of heralding it as a religious icon. After ingesting structure gel, he called Theta to finally be picked up, only to kill the response team, and then return to Theta to eventually slaughter everyone there. He made a few "proxies" of himself similar to his shape. Those creatures have unknown names]
Spoiler below!
[Image: ZmeXaq5.jpg]

Monster 4
[Screaming Woman]
[Omicron]
[???]
[???]
[This creature was one of the only remaining active souls at the Omicron facility where as the rest of the personnel had all suffered cranial decompression due to malfunctioning black boxes]

Monster 5
[Tau Zombie]
[Tau]
[???]
[J. Yoshida]
[This monster was locked in the Tau lab section. Looks like someone who is also in a Pressure Suit for the abyss. The only active power suit noted in the computers is HPS#3 which is in Tau. The last person to access HPS#3 is a J. Yoshida. However the computer logs noted some kind of corruption that occurred with the same suit a day earlier. It's possible the WAU infected the suit and Yoshida became trapped in it]

Monster 6
[Speaking teleporting corpse]
[Omicron - Tau - Alpha]
[???]
[Johan Ross]
[Johan Ross was one of the engineers in charge of working with the WAU. After the comet struck, the WAU began to interpret its directive to preserve humanity in ways that frightened Ross, by using the structure gel to begin transmitting a corruption or "cancer" around Pathos 2 which began to meld organic and non-organic masses together, as well as utilizing techniques from the ARK project to keep the people alive in robot shells. Ross himself became infected with the gel and was placed in Stasis. Eventually he was freed and set about to trying to stop the WAU. He "guides" Simon to the WAU to fulfill this

This is what I have so far. As you will note I didn't just put in any monstrous NPC that wasn't a threat. Nor did I add any of the Sea Creatures since those were seemingly ordinary ocean fauna transformed and then directed by the WAU.

That said, if you feel I've omitted a monster that really should be noted please let me know and note its background and other info.

And please, if you can help me fill in the missing spaces and blanks with the listed monsters I'd be very grateful! Smile
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 06:05 AM by PathOS.)
09-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Find
Aifa Offline

Threads: 0
RE: [FULL GAME SPOILERS] Who were the Monsters?

I think Nr5, the Tau monster, is J.Yoshida.
He/she was the last person to activate power suit Nr3 and just before that it was the WAU according to the access log.
Not sure what would've exactly happened though since the WAU accessed it a day before Yoshida did.
Spoiler below!

[Image: aOiQ4Ia.jpg]
[Image: MKQVLVd.jpg]
[Image: Gu2XBkA.jpg]

09-28-2015, 10:31 PM
Find
humanoid Offline

Threads: 3

I don't think every monster is supposed to be a person (that gets mentioned in the game).

Nr1 is most likely the UH roboter you encounter in the very beginning (the one that breaks out of the room after you datamined the other UH roboter) since you can encounter the monster in the very same area moments afterwards in the omnitool room if you don't hesitate to open the seal/door.

Nr2 and Nr4 had next to no backstory as far as I know but there could be some stuff in the _supersecret.rar archive, didn't take a look in there yet.

And as for the other proxies besides Akers, again I don't think that there is any mentioning of it in the game.
Makes me wonder though what made them so special to get turned into proxies instead of ending up like everyone else left in Theta?

Quote:Not sure what would've exactly happened though since the WAU accessed it a day before Yoshida did.
I'm guessing WAU somehow manipulated the suit so that the next time Yoshida would use the suit, it would take over control, similar to what happened with the Blackbox update in Omicron.
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 12:10 AM by humanoid.)
09-29-2015, 12:01 AM
Find
1minus1is0 Offline

(09-29-2015, 12:01 AM)humanoid Wrote: I'm guessing WAU somehow manipulated the suit so that the next time Yoshida would use the suit, it would take over control, similar to what happened with the Blackbox update in Omicron.

My guess on this is that WAU activated the suit, filled it with structure gel, and it took about a day to get everything ready and upload Yoshida's memory into it. From that point it reads as Yoshida. There may be no corpse inside at all.
09-29-2015, 12:40 PM
Find
humanoid Offline

After watching the Soma Transmission #3 video I get the feeling that Nr2 (Discoball head) is supposed to be Adam Golaski (the guy who appears in the video and drinks structure gel in the end) since
1) the video is set in Lambda station where we encounter the monster first and
2) there is a message in Theta mentioning some kind of incident in Lambda where WAU apparently changed and rebuilt the "h_" (I'm guessing he wanted to write human body/mind or just head?)

Of course I'm not sure if these videos can be considered canon (at least the intro says "inspired by SOMA" but this assumption is also somewhat backed up by the discussion that I found here (first few posts).
Can't remember if he gets mentioned at one point in the game though (perhaps in some audio logs?)

(09-29-2015, 12:40 PM)1minus1is0 Wrote: My guess on this is that WAU activated the suit, filled it with structure gel, and it took about a day to get everything ready and upload Yoshida's memory into it. From that point it reads as Yoshida. There may be no corpse inside at all.

That could be too, its very hard to make out if there is any flesh inside that suit or if its all WAU/mutated structure gel, even from the modelviewer (though the lack of flesh makes me think that your theory is more likely).
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 04:51 PM by humanoid.)
09-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Find
PathOS Offline

Woah. Adam Golaski is Disco-Ball Head? (possibly)

That'd be a nice twist. The fact that he ingested Structure Gel would indicate that he'd likely suffer a similar fate of Akers who also did so.

AFAIK, Golaski's fate wasn't really spelled out in the game. There were diaries of him and others mentioning him at Omicron but nothing else. Where as we knew exactly what became of Imogen Reed.
09-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Find
PathOS Offline

I've updated the first post with the new information about The first enemy being named "The Construct" and speculation that Adam Golaski was the Jiangshi, as well as the neat info about J. Yoshida being the Tau Power Suit monster.

For some reason I cannot insert any more pictures in the OP. I keep getting an error saying only 4 images are allowed. But I swear I've seen posts that contain many more images than that.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 06:15 AM by PathOS.)
10-01-2015, 06:14 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(10-01-2015, 06:14 AM)PathOS Wrote: For some reason I cannot insert any more pictures in the OP. I keep getting an error saying only 4 images are allowed. But I swear I've seen posts that contain many more images than that.

Most of the time, that is because of double posting, which is generally not allowed on the forum. I recommend uploading the image(s) to a hosting website and posting a link to it, or you make one (or a few) large image(s) which has all the monsters on there.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 11:12 AM by Romulator.)
10-01-2015, 11:12 AM
Find
AleNes Offline

Threads: 1

(09-30-2015, 09:49 PM)humanoid Wrote: I get the feeling that Nr2 (Discoball head) is supposed to be Adam Golaski (the guy who appears in the video and drinks structure gel in the end) since
1) the video is set in Lambda station where we encounter the monster first
No. The monster at Curie is a man but the monster at Lambda is a woman. I figured that out through the game editor. It's 100% info Wink

I can try to make a screenshot if you want proof.
(This post was last modified: 10-01-2015, 03:38 PM by AleNes.)
10-01-2015, 03:37 PM
Find
humanoid Offline

(10-01-2015, 03:37 PM)AleNes Wrote: No. The monster at Curie is a man but the monster at Lambda is a woman.

Doesn't necessarily mean that the theory is incorrect, CURIE is very close to Lambda and easily reachable by foot.

As for the female monster, thats again up for speculation (which is all that we can do at this point anyway), perhaps more will be revealed in the Transmission videos later on?
10-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Find