Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Editor Questions
LordDakol Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Start position and map testing?

Oh, it works! And without the intro! Thank you Patrik!
09-29-2015, 12:18 AM
Find
LordDakol Offline

RE: General Editor Questions

Can anyone give me a guide on how to create readables? I'm trying to look for examples, but it's very vague.

EDIT: Change title to prevent me from making another thread.
10-01-2015, 07:34 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

(10-01-2015, 07:34 AM)LordDakol Wrote: Can anyone give me a guide on how to create readables? I'm trying to look for examples, but it's very vague.

EDIT: Change title to prevent me from making another thread.

What part about the readables is tough for you?

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
10-01-2015, 12:50 PM
Find
LordDakol Offline

I'm just confused on where to start putting text in the game. Is it the entities file? The level editor? Do I have to put it code somehow to read it? Or is there a document I've missed that details this?

The closest I've got is the Implementation section of the Readables where is says to use the Utilities_Readables.hps for displaying it, but when I open it up with Notepad++, I can't figure it out.

Sorry for not understanding; it looks like you need some coding experience beforehand to use this stuff efficiently.
10-01-2015, 06:56 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

By readables, do you mean in-game signs?

Either way, pretty much all text for the game is defined in the .lang files. If you want to create a sign, you place the text in a lang file and then reference the entry to the object in the level. If it's like HPL2, it should be easily done with a SignArea, but I don't know if those are a thing still. Haven't quite gotten to modding yet.

10-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Find
Strembitsky Offline

Threads: 37

heres a general editor question: is the massive use of "Welders" still a thing as it was with making mansions in hpl2? or can we finally just set our grid snapping to a good value and expect everything to seamlessly flow? I'm planning on abandoning my amnesia custom story Dreadful Fires and starting a new SOMA custom story using the same custom audio files and stuff I've had for years and just sort of remaking it in HPL3. Anyways yeah I'm planning on jumping into the hpl3 editor tonight and having a go at making a good story, so I'm just curious as to how similar the actual room-building is in hpl3 to hpl2.

The Nightmares v1.0 - Dreadful Fires WIP
10-01-2015, 07:58 PM
Find
LordDakol Offline

(10-01-2015, 07:41 PM)Mudbill Wrote: By readables, do you mean in-game signs?

Either way, pretty much all text for the game is defined in the .lang files. If you want to create a sign, you place the text in a lang file and then reference the entry to the object in the level. If it's like HPL2, it should be easily done with a SignArea, but I don't know if those are a thing still. Haven't quite gotten to modding yet.

I'm referring to the notes and datapads that contain story bits.
10-02-2015, 07:35 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

(10-02-2015, 07:35 AM)LordDakol Wrote:
(10-01-2015, 07:41 PM)Mudbill Wrote: By readables, do you mean in-game signs?

I'm referring to the notes and datapads that contain story bits.

I managed to get mine working. I have to figure out exactly how I did it again, but right now, I'm juggling a few projects so it may take me a moment to get around to it, but if I recall, I...
1. placed an english.lang in my mod's config folder
2. deleted everything below the <Readables> category
3. deleted everything within the <Readables> category
4. created a lang entry for my note
5. Used the readables tab in the level editor to point to my <Readables> category and entry
6. Then changed my mod's main_init to make sure it pointed to english.lang

I have probably missed a step, but it worked for me for a while, then I changed a few things and now I'm trying to fix it again.

Have an appropriate gif:
Spoiler below!
[Image: Computer+Rage.gif]

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
10-02-2015, 07:59 AM
Find
TiManGames Offline

Threads: 25

Where can I find the enemies? I know in entities category, but where?

This forum is dead
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015, 09:38 PM by TiManGames.)
10-02-2015, 09:38 PM
Find
A.M Team Offline
Banned

Characters.
10-02-2015, 09:55 PM
Find