Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[FULL GAME SPOILERS] Who were the Monsters?
Omnitool Offline

Threads: 16
RE: [FULL GAME SPOILERS] Who were the Monsters?

Akers's story reminded me a lot of Dr. Weir from the Event Horizon movie.
Akers went mad and got linked to and possesed by the WAU, had hallucinations (lucid dreams) and even removed his own eyes. He is controlled by the WAU and starts killing people (the rescue team sent to retrieve him).
Dr. Weir also went mad and posessed by an entity similar to an evil AI, and removed his own eyes and he has hallucinations. He is also under control of that entity, and starts killing people (his collegue crewmen).
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015, 10:46 PM by Omnitool.)
10-02-2015, 10:45 PM
Find
1minus1is0 Offline

Threads: 3

WAU seems alot more malevolent in the transmissions than in the game. I think the transmissions were made with a different tone in mind than the real game. Then again maybe organics react to structure gel way differently than Simon does.
10-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-29-2015, 12:01 AM)humanoid Wrote: I don't think every monster is supposed to be a person (that gets mentioned in the game).

Nr1 is most likely the UH roboter you encounter in the very beginning (the one that breaks out of the room after you datamined the other UH roboter) since you can encounter the monster in the very same area moments afterwards in the omnitool room if you don't hesitate to open the seal/door.

You are forgetting that monster does not have to be a hybrid (mutant ) or have human body TO have personality/consciousness.

Someone completely missed out what SOMA was about?

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Find
1minus1is0 Offline

My favorite theory about Nr1 is that it is Dr. Munshi due to its apparent screaming of "SI-MON". Although there is a just as likely theory that its another scan of Simon that didn't take so well. However since we have not seen WAU duplicating any scans, that is evidence against it being Simon.

Also you may as well edit the first post to separate male and female disco heads.
10-04-2015, 01:19 AM
Find
PathOS Offline

Threads: 11

Well, this official concept image definitely seems to imply the Construct is a woman. Though maybe they just picked a random person.
Spoiler below!
[Image: 11219479_10156123796410441_901581920036644477_o.jpg]

But I didn't know it screams "Simon"
10-04-2015, 02:01 AM
Find
1minus1is0 Offline

(10-04-2015, 02:01 AM)PathOS Wrote: But I didn't know it screams "Simon"

Well, it sounds more like this "SI *garbled screaming or static* MON". Piss it off and run circles around it till you hear all it's voice files repeat several times and it will sound really clear.
10-04-2015, 02:04 AM
Find
humanoid Offline

(10-03-2015, 03:21 PM)Kein Wrote: You are forgetting that monster does not have to be a hybrid (mutant ) or have human body TO have personality/consciousness.

Someone completely missed out what SOMA was about?

Where did I say anything about it not having a personality/consciousness?

Someone can't comprehend other people's posts?
10-04-2015, 08:55 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Quote:Where did I say anything about it not having a personality/consciousness?
Here is what you said:
Quote:I don't think every monster is supposed to be a person (that gets mentioned in the game).

Any existing monster HAS TO BE an existing character in the game (or, basically, in the scope of realm WAU operates), because WAU cannot create personality/character out of nothing, he is not even full-fledged AI himself.

So whatever monster you see in the game - has a base brain scan of someone. Whatever he turned into later because of such metamorphosis is another thing. The Construct or the rooter thing seems different only because he can't speak since it either does not have the vox device or it is broken. Otherwise it is no different from "mockingbird" except :fully WAUfied".

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 12:16 AM by Kein.)
10-05-2015, 12:16 AM
Find
humanoid Offline

(10-05-2015, 12:16 AM)Kein Wrote:
Quote:Where did I say anything about it not having a personality/consciousness?
Here is what you said:
Quote:I don't think every monster is supposed to be a person (that gets mentioned in the game).

Any existing monster HAS TO BE an existing character in the game (or, basically, in the scope of realm WAU operates), because WAU cannot create personality/character out of nothing, he is not even full-fledged AI himself.

Hence the appendix "(that gets mentioned in the game)".

(10-05-2015, 12:16 AM)Kein Wrote: So whatever monster you see in the game - has a base brain scan of someone. Whatever he turned into later because of such metamorphosis is another thing.

The game doesn't reveal that much about the WAU to lead to this assumption.

By your logic Akers would not be Akers anymore but rather replaced by a "brain scan of someone", not to mention the entire wildlife including the fish/deepsea creatures that attack you (if we're strictly talking about hostile lifeforms which I generally refer to as "monsters").

Fact is, we can only speculate what WAU's intentions are and how it spreads itself over Pathos-II with the structure gel.
Might be that it really takes over the host it wishes to "possess" by completely replacing its personality/consciousness with a brainscan of someone else, might also be that it just gradually alters the original host without using any existing brainscan, up to the point where it doesn't have any resemblence with the original anymore (in which case you would be wrong with your statement).
We can't say for sure but the way I experienced the game, I'm leaning more towards the latter.

Of course this debate only goes for monsters that already had a personality/consciousness before WAU affected them, thats why I made the distinction with the brackets.
"Empty shells" like robots controlled by humans or already dead bodies obviously need to be filled with an already existing brainscan, otherwise various beings in the game wouldn't be able to exist the way they are presented to us (Simon-2, Simon-3, Carl, Robin, etc).
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 10:49 AM by humanoid.)
10-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Find
Sevtai Offline

Threads: 0

Obviously as just mutated creatures without personality you aren't counting the underwater fish.

BUT, the red eyed underwater robots do talk to you when you get spotted - I don't know off hand 'exactly' what they say, but I do remember hearing "What's that sound? Who's there?" - And then when I stood in front of it like an idiot "WHO THE HELL ARE YOU! GET BACK HERE!"

Now I have no idea who they could possibly be, or what to call them (Although I THINK at the HQ in Delta you can find schematics and a name for them (last entry on the robot list if memory serves)), but given their capacity to talk, I think it's worth looking into.

Also! (Sorry for double post)

(09-28-2015, 07:29 PM)PathOS Wrote: Monster 3
[Blind shambling corpses]
[Theta]
[???]
[Akers and proxies]
[Akers was a Delta worker who, while staying isolated by choice at Delta, became obsessed with the WAU to the point of heralding it as a religious icon. After ingesting structure gel, he called Theta to finally be picked up, only to kill the response team, and then return to Theta to eventually slaughter everyone there. He made a few "proxies" of himself similar to his shape. Those creatures have unknown names]
Spoiler below!
[Image: ZmeXaq5.jpg]

There are two 'EDIT (for clarity): types of monster' here. I know you have referenced both separately in the text, but I feel they should be separate.

Akers is the one pictured, with long clawed arms and no eyes.

The proxies are a separate creature, as described the shambling corpses with no arms and bloated bodies. They are other people that have ingested structure gel, or victims of Akers.

While most of Akers victims can be found attached to walls wheezing, I -think- (please correct me if I am wrong) there are more than one armless shambler.

The one in the server room - And the (possibly multiple) one(s) in the maintenance tunnels.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 03:24 PM by Sevtai.)
10-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Find