Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Depth Was A Hoax
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6
RE: Depth Was A Hoax

(10-05-2015, 05:14 PM)Kein Wrote:
(09-19-2015, 02:41 PM)ArioDargeto Wrote:
DEPTH WAS A HOAX

Regardless if the phrasing rustles your jimmies or not, this is a correct statement. Depth is indeed was somewhat a hoax . The movie does not exist (regardless if it was planned to at some point) and short "mini-web-series" can't be called a movie regardless.

So technically yes, it was.

Was there any official word from FG regarding the movie back then when information first appeared?

FG might be acting purposely secretive about it for some reason, which could explain why they never said anything about the film officially.

Think about it: if Depth was a hoax, why wouldn't Thomas outright say it, like he did regarding the Skilaboeth site? There would be absolutely no reason for him not to do it, other than being deliberately mysterious/vague.

Don't forget that Thomas replied this in the Q&A thread:

Quote:About Depth

Paddy: Will the film be released along with the game on the 22nd?
Thomas: No.

Paddy: Will there be a theatrical showing of the film, as suggested by the technical specifications on IMDb?
Thomas: Might be.

Paddy: Any plans for DVD/Blu-ray releases of the films?
Thomas: No plans from our end.

(Direct link: https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/th...#pid324433)

Saying that there might be a theatrical showing of the film confirms its existence. Whether it ends up being released/shown in theatres or not, that's a different question.

Also, some of the people involved in the Depth project have been really mysterious too. I mean, why would they be saying things like:

Quote:Atwa 1 week ago
DEPTH?

Don Thacker 6 days ago
Who even knows?

Quote:Atwa 6 days ago
+Don Thacker I need IT!

Don Thacker 6 days ago
+Atwa Time is revelation.

(Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8I_J2Vj...z2mznopzj4)

Quote:Koli Xela: Trin, was the whole planned film recorded? Is interesting so far
Trin Miller: I can neither confirm nor deny...

(Link: https://www.facebook.com/thatTrinMiller/...7099320101)

Quote:Vanessa Williams: Excited to finally share. This is just the start. Nothing is what it seems.

Katie Eldridge: "Johnny 5 Is Alive!" - Well done! I want to see more!
Vanessa Williams: One a day for 8 days Katie Eldridge. Then... Who even knows.

(Link: https://www.facebook.com/filmette/posts/...1558164136)

Another thing: why would the people involved in the project (actors, producers, crew) deliberately add fake information to their resumés? (See below -- spoiler tags to save space)

Spoiler below!

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mahria-zook/a1/b67/943

Quote:Actor
Imagos Films - Depth
May 2014 – October 2014 (6 months)Washington

Cerebral and psychological thriller feature film, based on the video game SOMA, by Frictional Games - a Swedish game developer - to be released in 2015/2016.

http://tpsonline.org/publicDB/resumes/Zook_Mahria.pdf

Quote:Depth (Feature - Post Production)

http://blissholloway.com/resume.pdf

Quote:Work Highlights • Narrative – Feature
Depth
Frictional Games/Imagos Films
Directed by: Don Thacker
Seattle, WA - 2014

http://staffmeup.com/profile/joshgelb

Quote:Producer – SOMA: Depth
Film (Theatrical) — Imagos Films
Feb 2014 – Current

Managed a cast and crew of over 40. Coordinated transportation, payroll, meals, talent, contracts, releases, etc. Managed the production office while working in conjunction with the Producer on budget/line items, acting as an Associate/Line Producer. Have since (Aug. 2014) taken over as sole Producer, seeing the film through to release.

http://staffmeup.com/profile/traceyshrier

Quote:Producer – Depth
Film (Theatrical) — Imagos Films
Jul 2014 – Sep 2014

Produced the feature film Depth, slated to be released in 2015. The film has wrapped on principle photography and will be going into post shortly.

https://about.me/mosesolson

Quote:This year, you can catch Moses on NBC's Grimm as Sgt. Wu's cousin, Angelo, and Imagos Films' science-fiction feature Depth as Richard Holland.

http://www.filmandtvpro.com/us/file-download/501848/go

Quote:KEATON A. SLANSKY
Film Production Résumé
“Depth” Production Assistant
Feature Film – Imagos Films

10-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(10-05-2015, 07:11 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Think about it: if Depth was a hoax, why wouldn't Thomas outright say it, like he did regarding the Skilaboeth site? There would be absolutely no reason for him not to do it, other than being deliberately mysterious/vague.
He may never ever say anything if people stopped bumping that thread. I'm failing to see how is this: a) an argument b) relevant

Quote:FG might be acting purposely secretive about it for some reason, which could explain why they never said anything about the film officially.
It would make sense to do that before the game launch. Explain me, from the marketing stand point, what the reason for that now, Any sane reason? The game is out for more then two weeks, the Transmission mini-series are out as well, there is nothing to hide. Any info about the movie at the peak of SOMA attention is the most reasonable thing right now, but instead there is just plan silence and ignore wall. Not even mentioning there was no concrete information to begin with. Hell, for all we know, that "interview" with the director and all the stage photos and imdb page could be just a part of ARG or elaborated marketing campaign for the sake of PR and that's about it.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

Threads: 1

(10-05-2015, 05:14 PM)Kein Wrote:
(09-19-2015, 02:41 PM)ArioDargeto Wrote:
DEPTH WAS A HOAX

Regardless if the phrasing rustles your jimmies or not, this is a correct statement. Depth is indeed was somewhat a hoax . The movie does not exist (regardless if it was planned to at some point) and short "mini-web-series" can't be called a movie regardless.

So technically yes, it was.

Was there any official word from FG regarding the movie back then when information first appeared?

It is not a correct statement though.... Regardless of what format the project takes , be it feature length film or short mini series, the project exists in some capacity. To say its a Hoax just because it was split into a mini series is to argue semantics. Depth was not a Hoax; it might not be a feature length film but the project exists. If the film project was just a Hoax there would be no mini series

It is clear, absolutely clear, that the project evolved / was augmented to become a mini series. The reasons behind this can be debated, but the film project was not a Hoax or a fake or a fabrication because you can see it as a mini series . Strangely poetic to be honest given Soma's themes.

(10-05-2015, 07:21 PM)Kein Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 07:11 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Think about it: if Depth was a hoax, why wouldn't Thomas outright say it, like he did regarding the Skilaboeth site? There would be absolutely no reason for him not to do it, other than being deliberately mysterious/vague.
He may never ever say anything if people stopped bumping that thread. I'm failing to see how is this: a) an argument b) relevant

Quote:FG might be acting purposely secretive about it for some reason, which could explain why they never said anything about the film officially.
It would make sense to do that before the game launch. Explain me, from the marketing stand point, what the reason for that now, Any sane reason? The game is out for more then two weeks, the Transmission mini-series are out as well, there is nothing to hide. Any info about the movie at the peak of SOMA attention is the most reasonable thing right now, but instead there is just plan silence and ignore wall. Not even mentioning there was no concrete information to begin with. Hell, for all we know, that "interview" with the director and all the stage photos and imdb page could be just a part of ARG or elaborated marketing campaign for the sake of PR an

Its relevant because A.) if there was no film he would just say so, rather than be cute and coy about it. And B.) Its an argument because it makes some logical sense.

To say that all those behind the scenes photos with all those people who dropped everything they were doing out of there everyday lives just to fool us and you with staged photos is silly.

[Image: signature015.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 07:28 PM by Noisecode.)
10-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

@Kein: Ashtoreth posted reams of solid evidence to support the existence of the film and you completely ignored all of it and instead focused on the most circumstantial part of her post (i.e. speculation about why Thomas hasn't said anything about the film lately). You're just being wilfully obtuse at this point. Please try to address the other parts of her post to save her, me or Noisecode from having to type it all out again for the 10th time in 2 weeks.

10-05-2015, 07:38 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

(10-05-2015, 07:38 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: @Kein: Ashtoreth posted reams of solid evidence
I see no solid evidence, only evasive and vague answers i.e. so called "corporate speak".
Find the difference between "time will reveal", "might be" and "well, yeah, it is still in production but we ran into some issue so we can't say anything concrete yet, stay tuned, we will update you later".

It is can be considered as a hoax until there is an official solid word saying the project is dead/closed or being pushed further/released. End of story.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
10-05-2015, 07:58 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

(10-05-2015, 07:58 PM)Kein Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 07:38 PM)Paddy™ Wrote: @Kein: Ashtoreth posted reams of solid evidence
I see no solid evidence, only evasive and vague answers i.e. so called "corporate speak".
Find the difference between "time will reveal", "might be" and "well, yeah, it is still in production but we ran into some issue so we can't say anything concrete yet, stay tuned, we will update you later".

It is can be considered as a hoax until there is an official solid word saying the project is dead/closed or being pushed further/released. End of story.

Are you for real? Photos of actors in costume and props being built seem pretty real to me. Oh and there is the fact that I can watch a prequel miniseries that shows the same actors and props.

And by the way, as someone who makes a living doing sensitive things and dealing with legal shit, I can safley tell you that NDA and other such things bring about hellfire if they are violated. So maybe the powers that be CANT comment on the why and How.

End of the day you are arguing semantics Kein.....

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 08:12 PM by Noisecode.)
10-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Find
caffeine4671 Offline

Threads: 4

(10-05-2015, 07:58 PM)Kein Wrote:
I see no solid evidence, only evasive and vague answers i.e. so called "corporate speak"

That's great. So you get reams of twitter posts and production info and you just hand wave it away, huh?

Tell me, what makes your expertise on 'corporate speak' credible and informed? Do you work in the industry? Have you spoken with Don Thacker?
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 08:12 PM by caffeine4671.)
10-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

(10-05-2015, 08:11 PM)Noisecode Wrote: Are you for real? Photos of actors in costume and props being built seem pretty real to me.
They are very real to me too. In "Transmission". But "Transmission" isn't "Depth".

(10-05-2015, 08:12 PM)caffeine4671 Wrote: That's great. So you get reams of twitter posts and production info and you just hand wave it away, huh?
I never said that. It has -- had -- great marketing value, it wasn't for nothing. But again, all that buzz isn't "Depth".

I know that "Batman v Superman" is a movie. And it is coming. Why? There was an official press-release, a statement and teaser/trailer.
"But but... that's Hollywood!"
Okay, we have an indie short "Construct". There was a press-release/announcement, there is a blog, official page and such, it is coming too, there is no doubt.

Now, let's see what Depth has... oh, an imdb page (which any imdb user who provided cellphone validation can edit).

Okay.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 08:29 PM by Kein.)
10-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Find
Noisecode Offline

Hang on, hold on a seocnd, I want to ask Kein a question and I'm eager to see what his answer for it is.

You have seen the behind the scenes photos and I assume you've watched the mini series.....so my question is..... Do you really think ALL of those people involved with this project, all the ones in the behind the scenes photos , all the actors, and camera man, and set builders......

Do you really think they took the time out of their busy lives to pose for photos just to fool the likes of you?

It's a yes or no question but I invite you to expel more nonsensical arguments to justify said yes or no answer; it does an amazing job of making you look silly.

Quote:They are very real to me too. In "Transmission". But "Transmission" isn't "Depth".

Uuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm yeah it is........ It's Depth with a different title and split into episodes.

The film project Depth still exists even if it has a different name and format. Duh.

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 08:34 PM by Noisecode.)
10-05-2015, 08:26 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(10-05-2015, 08:23 PM)Kein Wrote: Now, let's see what Depth has... oh, an imdb page (which any imdb user who provided cellphone validation can edit).

Okay.

Did you check the resumés I posted earlier from some of the cast and crew members? They all mention Depth. Why would these people deliberately lie in their CVs? That wouldn't be good for their reputation in the industry.

We also have this casting call, and here's another one that was posted on Google Groups by Tracey Shrier, one of the producers. It was removed when expired, but I saved a copy. Notice that it mentions the Production Title (Depth) and Project Length (Feature Film).

And there's this event posted by Imagos Films:

Quote:Imagos Films writer/director Don Thacker and select cast discuss DEPTH, an upcoming trans-media feature film collaboration with Frictional Games set in the universe of Frictional‘s highly anticipated sci-fi survival horror game SOMA.

And at least two interviews, with Don Thacker and Josh Truax respectively, where the feature film Depth is mentioned:

http://renegadecinema.com/33393/don-thac...nal-growth

Quote:Bethany: IMDB says you have a second feature film coming out soon.

Don: Yes, it’s tentatively called Depth right now, to be released in 2015. It’s a collusion between my company Imagos Films and the Swedish game company Frictional Games. Motivational Growth put me in a position where I was able to sell my services as a commercial maker and I made a number of commercials for Frictional Games. We really liked working together so together we created an idea for this movie. We have finished principle photography and are moving into post within the next month or so, and it should come out in 2015.

Bethany: Can you give a plot synopsis for it, because there’s not one on IMDB.

Don: That is correct, I can’t. You will see. Parts of the film are going to be used in a story campaign coming up where you’ll get a little bit more than previews. But not yet!

http://horror-punks.com/group/interviews...josh-truax

Quote:I am currently working with Don Thacker of Imagos Films on a feature project called Depth that will blow your mind. It is already stretching me emotionally and we have not even begun to film it. The prep work is that intense. It is a very VERY different character for me but I feel it's a story that needs to be told. If it ends up being half as epic as I'm imagining you are in for quite an experience.

EDIT: Video interview with Don Thacker in which he says "we're in post-production of a feature film called Depth": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnQWEArod28&t=52m

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2015, 09:01 PM by Ashtoreth.)
10-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Find