Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPU at 99% - Sounds like vacuum cleaner
a59
Unregistered

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Exclamation  GPU at 99% - Sounds like vacuum cleaner
Hello, Its me, 59. SOMA was a great game, better than amnesia IMO. Taught lessons more important, and much less running from dead people that don't like you for no reason. The entire game felt like a dream, which is quite amazing.

My problem would be my graphics cards being used at 99%. The game does look good, but it should not do this. I am not able to play the game for long periods because I don't want my graphics card to die. It is an HD 6970. I would suggest an FPS cap that goes as low as 30 fps, this would possibly be the easiest fix. I think some simple tweaks may just force my GPU to stay at 70% or so.

Perhaps AMD will patch it. But I think this responsibility falls on frictionals shoulders. Please stop the game from turning my GPU into a personal leg heater so that I may enjoy this game again.

I hope you enjoyed the elevator. You can always just do it again.
10-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: GPU at 99% - Sounds like vacuum cleaner
You could try putting down the refresh rate, though I'm unsure if that actually lowers the internal frame rate, which would only result in less monitor work, but same GPU work. Not sure.

10-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
You should be able to tell your GPU to not go over 80% yourself, EG. underclocking. If it was bad for the GPU, it wouldn't go over its limits unless tinkered with. Perhaps you can change some things in the Catalyst Control Center.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015, 01:48 AM by Mudbill.)
10-12-2015, 01:47 AM
Find
nebej Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 8
If you set refresh rate to 30 and turn on vertical sync then the game will get locked at 30 FPS
10-12-2015, 07:49 AM
Find
Unregistered

(10-12-2015, 02:26 AM)a59 Wrote:
(10-12-2015, 01:47 AM)Mudbill Wrote: You should be able to tell your GPU to not go over 80% yourself, EG. underclocking. If it was bad for the GPU, it wouldn't go over its limits unless tinkered with. Perhaps you can change some things in the Catalyst Control Center.

this is a good idea and ill check but I dont think I can stop it from overheating(in my opinion) because it is rendering rooms that are empty at very high frames, or something. It has to do with it being tricked into thinking its working very hard, when it is actually not working much at all. An example would be playing hl2 at a solid 120 fps, it stays fine and does not go to 99% and overheat because it is coded that way, the GPU is told not to freak out.

But then I could play a video game or process that is not coded that way and make the GPU go to 99% when it should be at 12%.
GPUs are designed to handle gaming loads with 100% GPU usage easily if not overclocked. HL2 is quite old game with mostly static environment/lighting so it's not utilizing modern GPUs that much.

Of course with bad cooler the noise may be a problem Undecided
10-12-2015, 12:33 PM
Jump to the post that solved this thread.