Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your plans when the Level Editor is released
Amnesia Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Your plans when the Level Editor is released

(09-09-2010, 12:41 PM)MulleDK19 Wrote:
(09-09-2010, 12:31 PM)Sajber Wrote: Im thinking about a mod that involves myself, gonna do my apartment and apartment building. With a really dark secret in the cellar! Smile

You live in the 18th century?

(09-09-2010, 11:49 AM)Amnesia Wrote: Great ideas!!! I hope the editor is released within a week Smile
I certainly hope not. It should be released today. Right now...

obviously the earlier, the better Tongue
09-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7

A previous poster was asking about outdoor areas in the editor. Obviously, as I've already said, I know nothing about the editor beyond what was shown in the timelapse trailer, but it doesn't look to me as though outdoor areas would be possible.

Having said that, Penumbra had a couple of outdoor areas. I wondered whether these were done by basically having the area inside a GIGANTIC room, and then having the room filled with mist so the player couldn't see the walls? So it would just look like a dull sky. I suppose you could do the same thing at night because the player wouldn't be able to see the walls then either if the room was big enough and the top of the room was high enough out of sight.

So, in that first area in Penumbra where you're in that ice trench before finding the hatch, if the player could somehow jump out the the trench and keep walking, then eventually a wall would be encountered?

Would this be the case?

As I've said on a previous post, I don't pretend to have a clue about this, so I'm just going by what I've seen.

So if you wanted to do an outdoor area in the Amnesia editor, could this method be used?

Wow - what a mansion!
09-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Find
Perogi Offline

Threads: 1

I will probably be recreating as many Lovecraft and Poe stories as the editor allows.
09-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Find
MulleDK19 Offline

Threads: 21

(09-09-2010, 03:08 PM)Perogi Wrote: I will probably be recreating as many Lovecraft and Poe stories as the editor allows.

How original.

[Image: 16455.png]
09-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Find
bitzaxp90 Offline

Threads: 31

When the level editor is released I'm gonna make 2-3 rooms, and in all the rooms there will be like 5 monsters. It will be fun to scare my friends. MUAHAHAHAHA. Eecks Dee.
09-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Find
Adeno Offline

Threads: 8

To Bulbatron:

Hi there, I've had some experience creating levels before for games using editors (obviously not the upcoming Amnesia editor lol), and I can tell you, at least from what I've experienced, that yes, you normally make a giant room that's supposed to be the confines of your specific area. So for example, if you want to make a garden, you'll have to plan first things like, how much is accessible? Where should you build the "environmental barrier", in other words, natural things that fit into the atmosphere or the current location of the game that doesn't seem out of place, but would hinder any progress beyond that point. It may be in the form of rocks that are too high to climb, or literally walls that you cannot climb over.

The other part of of making outdoor areas is having the right textures and 3d models that your idea needs. For a simple outdoor area, you'll simply need 3d models for trees (Amnesia has some trees), soil, and rocks. Of course, you need the right texture or "skin" for them so that they won't look like a monotone grey object.

Adding sunlight or moonlight can be handled by making a bright light source that covers a certain area. Adding additional light sources in a way that fits to your environment also should be able to solve this.

Hopefully, the upcoming level editor will include 3d model and texture import options so that we can add stuff that the game doesn't have. I wonder if it will have the ability to import 3d animations for use with your imported 3d models :o

Anyway, I just based my ideas on other level editors that I've tried lol!

09-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Find
Bulbatron Offline

Threads: 7

(09-09-2010, 06:14 PM)Adeno Wrote: To Bulbatron:

Hi there, I've had some experience creating levels before for games using editors (obviously not the upcoming Amnesia editor lol), and I can tell you, at least from what I've experienced, that yes, you normally make a giant room that's supposed to be the confines of your specific area. So for example, if you want to make a garden, you'll have to plan first things like, how much is accessible? Where should you build the "environmental barrier", in other words, natural things that fit into the atmosphere or the current location of the game that doesn't seem out of place, but would hinder any progress beyond that point. It may be in the form of rocks that are too high to climb, or literally walls that you cannot climb over.

The other part of of making outdoor areas is having the right textures and 3d models that your idea needs. For a simple outdoor area, you'll simply need 3d models for trees (Amnesia has some trees), soil, and rocks. Of course, you need the right texture or "skin" for them so that they won't look like a monotone grey object.

Adding sunlight or moonlight can be handled by making a bright light source that covers a certain area. Adding additional light sources in a way that fits to your environment also should be able to solve this.

Hopefully, the upcoming level editor will include 3d model and texture import options so that we can add stuff that the game doesn't have. I wonder if it will have the ability to import 3d animations for use with your imported 3d models :o

Anyway, I just based my ideas on other level editors that I've tried lol!

Thanks for the detailed reply!

I may not have a clue how to make enemies do specific things, but perhaps I can at least still try creating a simple level, just for the fun of it.

I wonder if Amnesia will actually have any outdoor areas?

Will users of the editor be able to join more than one map together? I mean, so you could exit a map via a door, then it loads another pre-determined map?

Then you could have an indoor area, go through a door and find yourself on a balcony, which I suppose you would sort of build on the edge of the next map, half way up the wall - if you know what I mean.

Wow - what a mansion!
09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Find
Quakeman224 Offline

Threads: 2

I have my plans. Maybe in fact. again I can't say much more since I have had people steal my ideas. but I can't wait. Gives me something to do
09-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Website Find
RoyaleBeast Offline

Threads: 16

recreate the luigis mansion house Big Grin
09-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Find
kastanok Offline

Threads: 0

I, too, am probably going to start with a mansion. There is a place simply called The Mansion that has been mentioned in my pen-and-paper roleplaying group that I might try making. It is best if it has some exterior accessibility - at least inside the grounds' outer walls.

It will be something of a Thief-style treasure hunt with locked doors (find the key!) and lower areas with mechanical systems to open a large door and, well, we'll see what lies beyond that, hey? Wink

EDIT: Oh, and I will be documenting the development on my blog, Keys Akimbo, linked below.

09-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Website Find