Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

'In the games of madness' discussions and FG in general
Radiance Offline

Threads: 34
'In the games of madness' discussions and FG in general

This is a thread made for discussions of the topics written on FG blogs which are not in Blog section of the forum.

18 July 2016
http://frictionalgames.blogspot.hr/2016/...ories.html

I've watched very interesting interview from December 2015. I've never watched it till now.
Then already was next project in concepts.

(This post was last modified: 07-19-2016, 08:22 PM by Radiance.)
07-18-2016, 10:02 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78
RE: 'In the games of madness' discussions

Good idea with the thread! What interests me the most is the cave illustration underneath one of the latest entries regarding hiring.
07-18-2016, 10:31 PM
Find
Radiance Offline

(07-18-2016, 10:31 PM)Slanderous Wrote: Good idea with the thread! What interests me the most is the cave illustration underneath one of the latest entries regarding hiring.
Me too. http://frictionalgames.blogspot.hr/2016/...igner.html

Judging by the lighting, it's concept art for Amnesia sequel or new unknown IP.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2016, 11:15 PM by Radiance.)
07-18-2016, 11:15 PM
Find
Slanderous Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 78

(07-18-2016, 11:15 PM)brus Wrote:
(07-18-2016, 10:31 PM)Slanderous Wrote: Good idea with the thread! What interests me the most is the cave illustration underneath one of the latest entries regarding hiring.
Me too. http://frictionalgames.blogspot.hr/2016/...igner.html

Judging by the lighting, it's concept art for Amnesia sequel or new unknown IP.

I know it probably will never happen, but I pray for a new Amnesia game.
07-19-2016, 01:11 AM
Find
Radiance Offline

http://www.wow247.co.uk/2016/07/19/frict...rror-guys/

https://twitter.com/ThomasGrip/status/75...5294453760
"Disagree that weapons is the answer though. Problem is that it changes the player's mindset to focus too much on combat."

Though, I would like they include some sort of weapons with scarce ammo which could only hurt and slow enemy A.I. with one shot. 4 or 5 shots could kill them or disable for the moment. The trick is to get and find the ammo, infusion cores, bullets etc., depending on game setting.

And I'm not talking about usual weapons. Extraordinary ones with unusual effects.
Scorn has nice examples:
Spoiler below!
[Image: ZfO.jpg]
edit: Ok, this post will serve as my ramblings about gameplay design.

The game could be set with System shock 2 base combat design and reinvent with it's own creativity. I believe it does not need to be based on constantly repeating animations using hand (like swinging a crowbar) but also using particle system to complement it.

I also like liquid trickle shader effect in HPL3 (https://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl3/en...id_trickle).
I would like that this element would be extensively used in next game in gameplay design. For example,
the player needs to collect substance to create a fluid which could slow down enemy A.I. if you throw a jar on them or they step on it.
Also, if they catch a fire (or some special particle effect), they could burn/melt/disolve/vaporize pretty quickly .
What do you think about this gameplay element?
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2016, 07:32 PM by Radiance.)
07-19-2016, 01:41 PM
Find
Radiance Offline

RE: 'In the games of madness' discussions and FG in general

About Lovecraft
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/a...ageIndex=1

Did anybody here play Thomas Grip's Fiend?
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2016, 09:08 PM by Radiance.)
08-18-2016, 10:31 AM
Find
Abion47 Offline

Threads: 22

(07-19-2016, 01:41 PM)brus Wrote: Though, I would like they include some sort of weapons with scarce ammo which could only hurt and slow enemy A.I. with one shot. 4 or 5 shots could kill them or disable for the moment. The trick is to get and find the ammo, infusion cores, bullets etc., depending on game setting.

Having the weapon/ammo be scarce only partially solves the problem while introducing another one. If the weapon is fully available, then sure, it's less of a horror game and more of a slightly-scarier-than-usual action game. But forcing the player to look around and gather the weapons/ammo just turns the horror into a collection game. It's like when horror games have the "fill your flashlight with batteries" mechanic. It's annoying, and it ends up with either the player running out and having to scavenge around in the dark or with them having so many batteries that they may as well not even have the collection mechanic - either there are so few that the game becomes arbitrarily difficult, or there are so many that the mechanic becomes redundant. This is an issue of balance, sure, but the balance is largely dependent on the player's own pace, and short of virtually railroading the entire game, it's virtually impossible to balance a collection mechanic like this based around the player's own personal pace.

Personally, I think that with this style of horror games, the less that the player can actually do, the better (to an extent, of course). The more options the player has, the less scared they become, which is counterproductive for a horror game. On the flip side, the fewer options they have, the more they have to focus on what's in front of them, which gives them a much better opportunity to get immersed. If for example, the level layout of SOMA was similar to that of a game like Dishonored, players would find a safe location to scout out the level and plan the most effective plan of attack (figure of speech). Once they have a strategy, they are much more confident in how they proceed, which undermines the intended atmosphere. For an atmospheric horror game, the players are meant to try and inch their way forward, desperately trying not to attract the attention of monsters, while they try and figure out what the hell they are going to do next.

If anything allows the player to temporarily stun or wound the monster, it should be an option presented to them in the moment, like turning on the electricity while the monster is standing in a puddle, or hit the spotlights if the monster is used to living in the dark. This promotes more of an in the moment feel, and the player is rewarded for using their ingenuity and their surroundings to get out of a hairy situation. But if the player just has a "Press A to not die" mechanic whenever they feel like it, then encounters lose much of their intensity, and the game gets boring.
08-19-2016, 04:41 AM
Find
Macgyverthehero Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 23

(08-18-2016, 10:31 AM)brus Wrote: About Lovecraft
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/a...ageIndex=1

Did anybody here play Thomas Grip's Fiend?

I downloaded it a long while ago and played it. Felt like a top-down Resident Evil gameplay wise, but story wise it seems simple.

[Image: Keo88b.gif]
08-19-2016, 06:49 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(08-18-2016, 10:31 AM)brus Wrote: Did anybody here play Thomas Grip's Fiend?

I did and I liked it for what it is.

Spoiler below!
I never found the crossbow that I saw in the game files after finishing. If I recall correctly, there was one room in the second floor of the mansion that I never was able to open. It might have been there unless the door was never meant to be opened.

You tried UNBIRTH?

If someone doesn't know what these games are, here are the free downloads for them:
https://frictionalgames.com/site/fiend
http://unbirth.frictionalgames.com/

(This post was last modified: 08-19-2016, 11:32 PM by Yuhaney.)
08-19-2016, 11:10 PM
Website Find
Radiance Offline

(08-19-2016, 04:41 AM)Abion47 Wrote: Having the weapon/ammo be scarce only partially solves the problem while introducing another one. If the weapon is fully available, then sure, it's less of a horror game and more of a slightly-scarier-than-usual action game. But forcing the player to look around and gather the weapons/ammo just turns the horror into a collection game.

This is already in all inventory based games but it does not have to be heavy distraction for the player. More like of the choice.
In Amnesia and Outlast if you run out of oil or batteries, the game provided it for you along the main story line and it was not actually a big deal to play without it.

Quote:It's like when horror games have the "fill your flashlight with batteries" mechanic. It's annoying, and it ends up with either the player running out and having to scavenge around in the dark or with them having so many batteries that they may as well not even have the collection mechanic - either there are so few that the game becomes arbitrarily difficult, or there are so many that the mechanic becomes redundant. This is an issue of balance, sure, but the balance is largely dependent on the player's own pace, and short of virtually railroading the entire game, it's virtually impossible to balance a collection mechanic like this based around the player's own personal pace.

I would set mechanic as the player's choice. So, if he doesn't like to do something in the game, it would affect his gameplay in another way.
Gameplay should be modular and adjustable by the player to some extent.
I brought up weapon mechanics just to have additional playstyle variety.
There could be some other mechanic what was introduced in System shock 2, or even something completely new we haven't seen yet.
Quote:Personally, I think that with this style of horror games, the less that the player can actually do, the better (to an extent, of course). The more options the player has, the less scared they become, which is counterproductive for a horror game.

I think otherwise.

Quote:If for example, the level layout of SOMA was similar to that of a game like Dishonored, players would find a safe location to scout out the level and plan the most effective plan of attack (figure of speech). Once they have a strategy, they are much more confident in how they proceed, which undermines the intended atmosphere.

Secret strategies can be discovered by the player but they could come with a challenge so that they don't feel like safe point. Player gets a reward for finding out how to cheese the A.I. but with a twist of fortune with aftermath in the storyline, possibly.

Quote:For an atmospheric horror game, the players are meant to try and inch their way forward, desperately trying not to attract the attention of monsters, while they try and figure out what the hell they are going to do next.

But that would leave the game to linear and with no exploration. Personally, exploration gives a sense of atmospheric immersion.

Quote:If anything allows the player to temporarily stun or wound the monster, it should be an option presented to them in the moment, like turning on the electricity while the monster is standing in a puddle, or hit the spotlights if the monster is used to living in the dark. This promotes more of an in the moment feel, and the player is rewarded for using their ingenuity and their surroundings to get out of a hairy situation. But if the player just has a "Press A to not die" mechanic whenever they feel like it, then encounters lose much of their intensity, and the game gets boring.

Yes, environment hacks and puzzles are welcomed. Basically, everything what can engage the player into thinking how to approach the problem he's facing.
And, so that he does not have only one option for solving his endevours (for the replayability).

(08-19-2016, 11:10 PM)IIPEE Wrote: You tried UNBIRTH?
No, I haven't.
(This post was last modified: 08-21-2016, 01:09 PM by Radiance.)
08-21-2016, 01:00 PM
Find