Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOMA won't save
Ttsradko
Unregistered

Solved: 4 Years, 8 Months, 1 Week ago SOMA won't save
Hi, i have a problem i can't find a solution for. I've searched for it without success.
SOMA will never save, ever, on my machine. I don't know why. I have a very good computer and i run windows 8.1
If i save and exit durng gameplay i can access the load files in the game but if i exit the game and enter again, they're all gone and i have to start from the beginning.
I've tried to locate where the savefiles are on my computer when i've saved in the middle of the game but i cannot find them anywhere.

People have reported that they're saved on for example Document/My Games/SOMA or in the steam folder but there is no SOMA save folder anywhere to my knowledge.

If i can't solve the problem and want to play the whole game i have to do it all in one sitting. Yay.
What do i do?
08-24-2016, 11:19 AM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 4 Years, 8 Months, 1 Week ago RE: SOMA won't save
Sounds to me like you don't have the necessary permissions to save the game.

Go to SOMA's steam folder (C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/SOMA/), right click Soma.exe and go to its properties and tick "Run this program as an administrator" under the Compatibility tab.

[Image: 7aec3ab4d0.png]

If it is a permissions error, the above should fix it.

If you're lucky, you may be able to recover some of your saves by doing the following steps.

1. Hold the Windows Key and press R. This will bring up the "Run" window.
  2. Excluding the quotes but keep the percentages, type "%localappdata%" This will bring up an Explorer window.
  3. Scroll down to the VirtualStore folder.
  4. Your saves will be located somewhere in there. Likely in a directory like "Documents/My Games/SOMA/Main/<steam_user>/"

Saves are stored at C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\My Games\Soma\Main\<steam_user>\

If they are in the VirtualStore folder, copy the saves into your <steam_user> folder.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2016, 11:43 AM by Romulator.)
08-24-2016, 11:34 AM
Find
Ttsradko
Unregistered

Hello and thank you for your time.
Unfortunately the first thing about ticking the .exe file to "Run as administrator" did not help. I did that and run that very same .exe file, played a little bit and then saved and exited, everything went as if nothing had changed. I could see the save files in the game but when i exited the game and reentered, the saves were lost.

The second thing
I couldn't locate a Soma folder in the VirtualStore by scrolling so i searched for soma from there and there were 5 results, 3 uninteresiting files and 2 folders whereof one contained these two files:
current_game.lua
streaming_game.lua
Is this the save files? I doubt it because they were located in C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\NvBackend\ApplicationOntology\data\wrappers
Other than this i couldn't find the savefiles in VirtualStore

You wrote "Saves are stored at C:\Users\<Username>\Documents\My Games\Soma\Main\<steam_user>\" but i can only go as far as to "My games", there is no Soma folder in there. Not even when i've saved ingame and temporarely alt+tab out.

So i'm perplexed. I appreciate any help.
Thank you.
08-24-2016, 12:41 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Have you done any specific system changes that you can think of that affect this? For example redirect "Documents" or "AppData" to a secondary drive (not C:\). Is the game itself installed on a secondary drive?

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2016, 12:53 PM by Mudbill.)
08-24-2016, 12:52 PM
Find
Ttsradko
Unregistered

I do have 2 storage units, the main one is an SSD with small capacity which i have windows on and so on and the other is much bigger ordinary harddrive which i have larger files on such as games and movies. I have Steam on the solid state hard drive and some of the games i have located on the other one.

I have soma on the second storage unit but i haven't had any problems with this system on other games i also have on the second harddrive. But maybe that's the problem.

What should i do? Should i reinstall Soma on C: instead of D:?
08-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Nah, I can run SOMA fine on my D: drive. But redirecting folders can sometimes be an issue with games that expect an absolute path.

Perhaps it fails to write anything to disk. Not sure why they show up in the load menu in the same session, but maybe they are stored in RAM after a save. I'm afraid I'm not sure :\

08-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Find
Ttsradko
Unregistered

Well to conclude, i have no idea what to do about this problem. Is there anyone that has an idea of what to do? Is there a way to report this to the developers, assuming it's a bug in the system?
08-24-2016, 06:44 PM
Woundheir
Unregistered

I couldn't figure out how to fix this and tried literally everything. Finally, I found that if you move the entire documents folder (properties-location) it will save.

I also shared and advanced share full control for everyone, and gave full access in security. Not sure if that mattered, because it didn't work on the original location of the documents folder. I moved it to another hard drive as well, so haven't tried the same hard drive.
10-29-2017, 11:15 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

I doubt the sharing part has anything to do with it. I would suggest you undo that part if you don't want any other user on your network to access the files stored in that folder, because as it is currently, someone on your Wi-Fi network has the ability to read and save files to your folder, which is rarely desireable.

It's possible the security settings helped, though odd if moving the folder was what caused it to apply.

Did you move the Documents location via the "Location" tab on the folder properties?

10-30-2017, 11:27 AM
Find
Paenguin Offline

Threads: 0
Obviously, the money is wasted on Soma. A game that does not save scores under Windows 10 is completely useless. But the money is gone. Very bad developer, especially because no workaround is offered!
11-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Find
Jump to the post that solved this thread.