Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amnesia Crashing.
Jojo865
Unregistered

Solved: 7 Years, 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago Amnesia Crashing.
Okay, so. I need some help. I reinstalled my amnesia after I installed a full-conversion mod that didn't work. The game didn't work. It crashed on startup and I can't get it to work. Is there any way I can change that?
02-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Solved: 7 Years, 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago RE: Amnesia Crashing.
If you have Amnesia on Steam, you can validate your files by right clicking it in Steam > Properties > Local files > Verify integrity of game cache.

If you have a retail copy, you may need to reinstall the game.

02-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Find
Jojo865
Unregistered

I already tried that, everything is validated. Idk why it's not working.
02-06-2017, 05:24 AM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

If that isn't working, you can try uninstalling the game, make sure the game directory is empty, then reinstall it. If there are any issues whatsoever with the install files, this should fix it. Don't worry, any saves won't be removed by the uninstallation.

If the issue persists, it's probably not the game files. It could be in the user data files. Those are located in \My Documents\Amnesia. As a temporary test, you can rename that folder to something else, which will generate a new folder with fresh settings. If that works, then we know where the problem is, but if not, you can rename your old folder back.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2017, 08:58 AM by Mudbill.)
02-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Find
Jojo865
Unregistered

Okay, thank you.

Neither method worked. ;;
02-11-2017, 12:43 AM
Jojo865
Unregistered

Solved: 7 Years, 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago Sad  Amnesia crashing on startup
Okay, so. I installed a custom story from Moddb.com called "Confederacy Nightmare", after I had it for a while, I decided to try and run it. When I tried to run the story, I clicked on the .bat file that I put into the main Amnesia folder. It wouldn't start it. After I did that, I went to start the normal game, and it crashes on startup. Here's the HPL log file below VVVV

Can someone help me fix this problem? I put 200 hours into this game, and I don't plan on giving up on it now.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 3.74 KB / Downloads: 146)
02-11-2017, 01:58 AM
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63
Solved: 7 Years, 1 Month, 2 Weeks ago RE: Amnesia crashing on startup
I'm not entirely sure if this is the problem, but it seems you're trying to run the game at a 0x0 resolution.

Navigate to where you found your hpl.log file, and open the main_settings.cfg file and look for the "<Screen" category (I formatted mine, yours may be on the same single line). It will look something like this.

PHP Code: (Select All)
<Screen 
    Width
="1366" 

Height="768" 

FullScreen="true" 

Vsync="false" 
/> 

Check that the values are not 0 or null (Width="", for example) and change these settings to suit as you see fit for your system, and we'll see if that works.

I've also noticed that the above post was made by you in a separate thread on a similar issue. To avoid clutter and multiple responses to the issue, I have merge this thread with your previous one!

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2017, 03:03 AM by Romulator.)
02-11-2017, 02:59 AM
Find
Jojo865
Unregistered

(02-11-2017, 02:59 AM)Romulator Wrote: I'm not entirely sure if this is the problem, but it seems you're trying to run the game at a 0x0 resolution.

Navigate to where you found your hpl.log file, and open the main_settings.cfg file and look for the "<Screen" category (I formatted mine, yours may be on the same single line). It will look something like this.

PHP Code: (Select All)
<Screen 
    Width
="1366" 

Height="768" 

FullScreen="true" 

Vsync="false" 
/> 

Check that the values are not 0 or null (Width="", for example) and change these settings to suit as you see fit for your system, and we'll see if that works.

I've also noticed that the above post was made by you in a separate thread on a similar issue. To avoid clutter and multiple responses to the issue, I have merge this thread with your previous one!

Alright, I changed it. Do I try to run it?

Okay, so. One more question that I have. What about these "ERROR" logs?

"ERROR: Could not open file C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/fonts/game_default_0.dds for reading!
ERROR: Couldn't load bitmap C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/fonts/game_default_0.dds for FNT file 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/fonts/menu_gui_default.fnt'
ERROR: Could not open file C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/fonts/game_default_0.dds for reading!
ERROR: Couldn't load bitmap C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/fonts/game_default_0.dds for FNT file 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/fonts/menu_gui_default.fnt'
ERROR: Could not open file C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/fonts/game_default_0.dds for reading!
ERROR: Couldn't load bitmap C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/fonts/game_default_0.dds for FNT file 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Amnesia The Dark Descent/fonts/menu_gui_default.fnt' "
02-11-2017, 03:47 AM
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

It means something is wrong with your font files for Amnesia. I know that if Amnesia fails to load font files, it will immediately crash when requesting them. That might be your issue.

As for why they have failed to load I am not sure. Can you navigate to the folder mentioned in the error and check to see if all the files are there? If they are missing, then there's your problem, and you should revalidate/reinstall the game.

Edit: But you probably already tried reinstalling, eh? Hmm.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2017, 04:06 PM by Mudbill.)
02-11-2017, 04:05 PM
Find
Jojo865
Unregistered

(02-11-2017, 04:05 PM)Mudbill Wrote: It means something is wrong with your font files for Amnesia. I know that if Amnesia fails to load font files, it will immediately crash when requesting them. That might be your issue.

As for why they have failed to load I am not sure. Can you navigate to the folder mentioned in the error and check to see if all the files are there? If they are missing, then there's your problem, and you should revalidate/reinstall the game.

Font Files will make it crash, huh? I already revalidated the game and everything, reinstalled it about 10 times now, and nothing. Is there any way I can get a disc copy of the game? Or maybe you can upload the font files for me to download and place inside?

(02-11-2017, 04:05 PM)Mudbill Wrote: It means something is wrong with your font files for Amnesia. I know that if Amnesia fails to load font files, it will immediately crash when requesting them. That might be your issue.

Okay, here's all the font files I have. (Don't ask why some are movie maker, idk why myself. I think my little brother might have messed with it when I got the game a few years back.)

Attached Files
.png   Amnesia Font Files.png (Size: 119.92 KB / Downloads: 143)
02-12-2017, 10:16 PM