Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird glitch that won't go away
Moloko Offline

Threads: 1
Not Solved Sad  Weird glitch that won't go away

So I just bought a Frictional package on steam with Soma included so I installed the game along with some of the others (Amnesia series and Penumbra series). What wasn't my surprise when I found out a weird glitch that only happens when I set Soma or Amnesia: The Dark Descend (I haven't tested Penumbra yet) in full screen or borderless, regardless of the graphic presets and effects (I really tried EVERY graphic option in both games). The odd thing is that this glitch disappears when I set both games to windowed mode. I tried it in different displays and the result was the same.

The glitch looks like it pixelates some areas when I'm moving (like a wave passing horizontally behind the screen if it makes sense), it's very annoying since it happens almost the entire time I'm moving either my character or my cursor.

Just for background, my specs:

Windows 10
RX 570 4GB
Ryzen 5 2600
16GB 3000mhz Ram
1TB HD + 240GB SSD

- All my gpu drivers are up to date

- I have all the Microsoft Visual C++ mentioned in the Troubleshooting Guide

- I can run both games smoothly in their highest presets

- Again, the glitch only happens in the full screen option regardless of the graphic presets and effects, be it low, medium or high.

- The glitch won't show in the steam screenshots I took for some reason

- This glitch only happens with these games

Can anyone help?   Sad
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2020, 07:50 PM by Moloko.)
03-20-2020, 07:32 PM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59
Not Solved RE: Weird glitch that won't go away

You're not talking about screen tearing, are you? Have you tried enabling V-sync?

03-21-2020, 02:23 AM
Find
Moloko Offline

(03-21-2020, 02:23 AM)Mudbill Wrote: You're not talking about screen tearing, are you? Have you tried enabling V-sync?

Yeah, I discovered recently it is screen tearing, thanks. And, yes, I tried enabling vsync both in the game options and the adrenaline option, it didn't work.
03-21-2020, 09:15 PM
Find
Moloko Offline

(03-21-2020, 09:15 PM)Moloko Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 02:23 AM)Mudbill Wrote: You're not talking about screen tearing, are you? Have you tried enabling V-sync?

Yeah, I discovered recently it is screen tearing, thanks. And, yes, I tried enabling vsync both in the game options and the adrenaline option, it didn't work.

Nice, now the game display is set in a weird windowed mode even though the game config says its in fullscreen. I just wanted to enjoy the game, man.
03-22-2020, 12:05 AM
Find
Mudbill Offline
Muderator

Threads: 59

Screen tearing is usually caused by your GPU outputting more frames than your monitor can display, giving you "half frames" that need to catch up. I find it most common with a 60 Hz monitor and perhaps 100 FPS. Generally V-sync fixes this, but it might not be able to if you're unable to get the FPS that your monitor use (sub 60). Setting it to fixed 30 might help.

Screen tearing is a thing for pretty much any game btw. There are more tips online about how to deal with it.

Adrenaline, is that the AMD control panel? I can't really say much about it since I haven't used it.

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2020, 12:18 AM by Mudbill.)
03-22-2020, 12:17 AM
Find
Moloko Offline

(03-22-2020, 12:17 AM)Mudbill Wrote: Screen tearing is usually caused by your GPU outputting more frames than your monitor can display, giving you "half frames" that need to catch up. I find it most common with a 60 Hz monitor and perhaps 100 FPS. Generally V-sync fixes this, but it might not be able to if you're unable to get the FPS that your monitor use (sub 60). Setting it to fixed 30 might help.

Screen tearing is a thing for pretty much any game btw. There are more tips online about how to deal with it.

Adrenaline, is that the AMD control panel? I can't really say much about it since I haven't used it.

Hey, bud, sorry it took a while for me to reply to your comment. It really helped me, I reinstalled the games and set vsyinc on on Amnesia and I did the same with Soma, set the refresh rate at 60hz (which corresponds with my monitor) and the vsync on.

Turns out you were right, I'm very thankful, thanks for spending your time trying to help me, it really meant a lot to me.

Cheers.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020, 02:56 AM by Moloko.)
04-05-2020, 02:55 AM
Find