Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Monsters AI is like 5 years ago
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: Monsters AI is like 5 years ago

(09-17-2010, 01:51 PM)SmokeSum Wrote:
Quote:If you want a game where you can look at and kill more up-to-date zombies, check out Left for Dead - I just played that game and its a great shooter. But, unfortunately, not scary.

L4D is not about scary...OMG!!! L4D is pure online action game how can you compare such a game with this game??!! Dodgy

Uhm... Didn't he just said it's not scary?

09-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Website Find
Cyborg34572 Offline

Threads: 1

(09-17-2010, 10:31 PM)Scraper Wrote:
(09-17-2010, 01:51 PM)SmokeSum Wrote:
Quote:If you want a game where you can look at and kill more up-to-date zombies, check out Left for Dead - I just played that game and its a great shooter. But, unfortunately, not scary.

L4D is not about scary...OMG!!! L4D is pure online action game how can you compare such a game with this game??!! Dodgy

Uhm... Didn't he just said it's not scary?

I agree with him on that one tho. Left 4 dead is comedic and not close to being scary.
09-17-2010, 11:51 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

Left 4 Dead wasn't meant to be scary. It's a shooter game, based on CO-OP, not a horror game, not even a bit.
To me, "We Don't Go To Ravenholm" part of HL2 was the scariest, or should I say one and only scary, game of Valve.

09-18-2010, 08:31 AM
Website Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

Shooting zombies is great because you can kill them without feeling bad about killing. As it's not like they even care, or can feel pain or anguish, unlike a person or creature might.
But that's a completely different type of game and no comparison should be made.
I brought it up because SmokeSum seemed to be looking for that kind of a game.

What many of us seem to miss is that everyone has something they like or dislike about a game.
For instance: my gripe about Amnesia would be the unnecessary gore of drilling a dead head and seeing blood squirt out like a fountain which is silly cos only a live beating heart can pump out blood like that and not from the brain area.
But it's not that big a deal and it's there to continue the fear aspect of the game and is in character to the events that have previously happen there.

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Find
Zanderat Offline

Threads: 3

What is this nonsense that the monsters can't hurt you? I have died several times. I think the mechanic of restoring you without a penalty is flawed and does take away some immersion. But, ya they can kill you.
09-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Find
SmokeSum Offline

Threads: 7

Ok...so if you want to play this game the scary way you just have to act like a noob and try to be afraid of the monsters, but realy how can you people get killed by these monsters? :/
The only thing that killed me was the water monster cause he just waits for you all day, the other monsters just take a look and disappear...

I just want to say that if they made the monsters smell you it would be more scary then just watch the walls and wait till he is gone, i like this game i realy do like the idea and atmosphere but they had to make this monsters like realy realy scary...
Like:
You see a monster and he is coming after you, you think to outsmart him by hiding in dark corner but the monster smells your fear if he is coming to close and will kill you.

Only this change in the game would make the monsters more terrible and makes you wanna run as far as possible for monsters, the thing about not watching the monsters is good but every time watching towards the wall makes them dassapear is getting realy boring and Dejavu, this made the gameplay straight and not the WOW!-factor i had in beginning of this game.

After 1,5 hour gameplay of being used to the scares i just rushed the game and collected the items even the story didn't realy help, they just need to spent more time on gameplay cause most people these day's only buy games that can be played many times this game only works for 1st time then it's just knowing the scripted events and there is nothing new to discover making this game a one-day-fly.

Idea for Amnesia 2 - Harder and agresive monsters will do the trick of perfection this game
09-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

(09-19-2010, 06:44 PM)SmokeSum Wrote: You see a monster and he is coming after you, you think to outsmart him by hiding in dark corner but the monster smells your fear if he is coming to close and will kill you.

Most of the monster encounters are in closed areas, so you can't run indefinitely from a monster. You'll have to hide and wait for it to go away, so what's the point of hiding if it'll find you anyway?
That's not scary, that's frustrating.

Sure, the monsters could have been a bit more intelligent, but the methods of hiding are limited. Increasing and changing the monster's AI would mean to change a lot of other gameplay elements, and Frictional doesn't really have the resources for that.
09-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Find
Sexbad Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

(09-17-2010, 02:14 PM)jens Wrote: In case anyone would like to know SmokeSum has a one day ban, not for this thread (or any of the other 10 posts about the crappy AI) but for being rude to other forum members in threads and getting reported to us for this repeatedly.

Did you just call your own AI crappy?

[Image: jao3z.jpg]
09-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Website Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8

(09-19-2010, 08:00 PM)Lee Wrote:
(09-17-2010, 02:14 PM)jens Wrote: In case anyone would like to know SmokeSum has a one day ban, not for this thread (or any of the other 10 posts about the crappy AI) but for being rude to other forum members in threads and getting reported to us for this repeatedly.

Did you just call your own AI crappy?

He's referring to SmokeSum's opinion of the AI, not his own opinion.

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Find
tonewww Offline

Threads: 50

(09-18-2010, 08:31 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Left 4 Dead wasn't meant to be scary. It's a shooter game, based on CO-OP, not a horror game, not even a bit.
To me, "We Don't Go To Ravenholm" part of HL2 was the scariest, or should I say one and only scary, game of Valve.

yeah ravenholm scared me a couple times too...also smokesum they dont really make that much money and they had to cut salarys for a while ive heard honestly though i think that if you think they did the ai horrible i would like to see you attempt to code the monsters and give the *stretchy powers* or something like that.

*Wishes Penumbra Tech Demo section would return*
09-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Find