Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Compiling a List of Problems
Spiegelman Offline

Threads: 3
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Compiling a List of Problems

(09-20-2010, 12:10 AM)Daiyuki Wrote: Heya, my problem seems to be with shadows in the game. Not all shadows, it seems, but in many parts I get the graphical problem in the attached picture. You may have to turn up the brightness on your monitor, all I see is darkness on my second monitor, which is of significantly lower quality. Though that brings an interesting thought, could it somehow be my monitor? The main is a widescreen displaying at 1920x1080 and the second is an older flatscreen that displays at 1280x1024, those being the only differences, other than brightness. Hmm. Still, other games do not give me this issue, and possibly semi-related is the smoke/fog effects looking quite bad, even the smoke to the right of the screen in the main menu.

The picture doesn't want to load for me, of course >.< Hopefully you guys can see it.

Before I add this in, I can't really see what the problem is. I turned up my brightness, but all I can make out are some columns on the walls in a hall and the amnesia drink on the ground. Are you saying the shadows look blurry, sharp, not processing, repeating, or...? It very well could be a graphics card issue, but need to know exactly what's going on.
09-20-2010, 01:40 AM
Find
Daiyuki Offline

Threads: 1

(09-20-2010, 01:40 AM)Spiegelman Wrote:
(09-20-2010, 12:10 AM)Daiyuki Wrote: Heya, my problem seems to be with shadows in the game. Not all shadows, it seems, but in many parts I get the graphical problem in the attached picture. You may have to turn up the brightness on your monitor, all I see is darkness on my second monitor, which is of significantly lower quality. Though that brings an interesting thought, could it somehow be my monitor? The main is a widescreen displaying at 1920x1080 and the second is an older flatscreen that displays at 1280x1024, those being the only differences, other than brightness. Hmm. Still, other games do not give me this issue, and possibly semi-related is the smoke/fog effects looking quite bad, even the smoke to the right of the screen in the main menu.

The picture doesn't want to load for me, of course >.< Hopefully you guys can see it.

Before I add this in, I can't really see what the problem is. I turned up my brightness, but all I can make out are some columns on the walls in a hall and the amnesia drink on the ground. Are you saying the shadows look blurry, sharp, not processing, repeating, or...? It very well could be a graphics card issue, but need to know exactly what's going on.

Hmm, well at least that tells me it's my computer and not the game. The shadows are making successive rings of slightly different shades of pixelated dark green, if that makes any sense. I assume it's supposed to be the shadows getting darker and darker, but it's clearly not working right.
09-20-2010, 02:01 AM
Find
Kim Offline

Threads: 0

One splash animation from a lurker were rendered in mid-air for some reason in the first lever room.

Brooms, and other items I guess, can get stuck in the corners of cabinets with half of it on the inside and the other half on the outside.

Taking screenshots appears to not work under Linux? I have looked under both the main game folder and ~/.frictionalgames/Amnesia/Main and their subfolders.

(09-15-2010, 02:49 AM)Vicious Wrote: My assumption is still the last lever to be moved for the puzzle has to be one set to either straight up or down.
Ah, I get what you mean now.

I'm currently replaying and your assumption seems to be correct. Looking at the map script (13_machine_room.hps:225) no check is done when a lever is set to a neutral position. I guess this might be the intended behaviour. Undecided

By the by, there are four valid solutions.

(09-10-2010, 06:59 PM)Spiegelman Wrote: * Confirmed: Entrance Hall/Laboratory - After using the acid on the organic tissue blocking the refinery, some players have tried returning to the Laboratory to refill their pots (obviously not intended to refill); however, when returning to the Main Hall, the organic tissue will have respawned and left the player without a means of dissolving it again.

* May be intended: After moving from one map to another and back, all previously moved items and doors are returning to their default position/state.

* Confirmed: Cistern - The valve at the farthest end of the Cistern can be turned twice instead of having to turn all three valves to lower the water.

Quote:* May be intended: Cistern - If the player leaves the map after the Kaernk and red tissue spawns, then re-enters the map, the Kaernk and tissue will both be gone.

Aren't all these caused by the same problem? The state of an entity only being temporarily saved.

It's late and I should've really gone to sleep some two hours ago, so this is untested. But the Entrance Hall tissue problem should be easily solved by adding the following statement at the end of Amnesia/maps/main/ch01/02_entrance_hall.hps inside the void OnEnter() function on its own line right before //----PLAYER INIT----//.
    if (QuestIsCompleted("02Web")) {
        SetPropHealth("web_1", 0);
    }

You would probably have to rename 02_entrance_hall.map_cache for the change to take effect and don't forget to make backups!

The Cistern should be fixable by using LocalVarString if there's someone interested in testing that.

Quote:* Confirmed: Archives - Near the map room there is a breakable wall and when you click on the wall it says "Fragile, but not breakable by hand." If a player clicks the wall repeatedly, it will break by hand.

The window is also breakable in the same way. So probably some quirk with that type of object or intended behaviour to not risk the player ending up stuck?
09-20-2010, 03:02 AM
Find
Spiegelman Offline

(09-20-2010, 02:01 AM)Daiyuki Wrote:
(09-20-2010, 01:40 AM)Spiegelman Wrote:

Hmm, well at least that tells me it's my computer and not the game. The shadows are making successive rings of slightly different shades of pixelated dark green, if that makes any sense. I assume it's supposed to be the shadows getting darker and darker, but it's clearly not working right.

If the problem persists, you may need to make another thread (or search for a similar one). This thread is mostly for general issues which everyone may experience instead of specific issues which may be related to hardware or software conflicts; however, once the problems become less and less I may start adding in more specific problems.

I'd tell you to fiddle with some of the advanced settings in the options menu, but I'm pretty sure you've already tried this. Undecided

(09-20-2010, 03:02 AM)Kim Wrote: One splash animation from a lurker were rendered in mid-air for some reason in the first lever room.

Brooms, and other items I guess, can get stuck in the corners of cabinets with half of it on the inside and the other half on the outside.
Added to the list.

(09-20-2010, 03:02 AM)Kim Wrote: Taking screenshots appears to not work under Linux? I have looked under both the main game folder and ~/.frictionalgames/Amnesia/Main and their subfolders.
Not sure on this. I don't remember the key to take screenshots and I'm not familiar with a Linux operating system. Sad

(09-20-2010, 03:02 AM)Kim Wrote: Aren't all these caused by the same problem? The state of an entity only being temporarily saved.
Yes, I believe so. I had one of them placed in the General Monster Issues category, but I've moved it. Some of the problems could potentially be considered more than one combined issue, so I just end up putting them in a related category. Tongue

(09-20-2010, 03:02 AM)Kim Wrote: The window is also breakable in the same way. So probably some quirk with that type of object or intended behaviour to not risk the player ending up stuck?
Yeah, I remember breaking the window with my hand, too, but I don't believe it said you had to throw an object through it. I'm actually almost to that point on my third playthrough, so I'll check it out.
09-20-2010, 05:14 AM
Find
Kim Offline

The first part of the prison: (south?)
You can fall through the hole under the bed without triggering a level load. I moved the bed during the flashback and after jumping over it I simply landed inside the hole without widening it first.

(09-20-2010, 05:14 AM)Spiegelman Wrote:
(09-20-2010, 03:02 AM)Kim Wrote: Aren't all these caused by the same problem? The state of an entity only being temporarily saved.
Yes, I believe so. I had one of them placed in the General Monster Issues category, but I've moved it. Some of the problems could potentially be considered more than one combined issue, so I just end up putting them in a related category. Tongue
Okk, just checking. Smile

Quote:
(09-20-2010, 03:02 AM)Kim Wrote: The window is also breakable in the same way. So probably some quirk with that type of object or intended behaviour to not risk the player ending up stuck?
Yeah, I remember breaking the window with my hand, too, but I don't believe it said you had to throw an object through it. I'm actually almost to that point on my third playthrough, so I'll check it out.
Now that you mention it, I might remember it wrong and just basing it on my own assumptions. What with all those hammers and whatnot. Tongue
09-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Find
Spiegelman Offline

(09-20-2010, 06:08 PM)Kim Wrote: The first part of the prison: (south?)
You can fall through the hole under the bed without triggering a level load. I moved the bed during the flashback and after jumping over it I simply landed inside the hole without widening it first.

Added it under Map Issues, does that sound about like what you experienced?
09-21-2010, 05:58 AM
Find
yatja Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Compiling a List of Problems - Prison North

Prison North

After using the acid i gathered from the kitchen and then the hammer & chipper on the weakend lock on the door leading to the cistern i am unable to progress any further.

I can see that the lock is gone but the door won't budge because the door is now stuck. The thin metal bar the lock was locking in place is now wedged between the door and the wall making it impossible for me to open the door no matter what direction i try to open the door.

Quitting the game and resuming does not solve this problem.

I have attached two screenshots, one that clarifies where i am and one that shows the problem (note that the lock has been dealt with)

Attached Files
.jpg   Amnesia 2010-09-21 08-27-13-15.jpg (Size: 378.87 KB / Downloads: 111)
.jpg   Amnesia 2010-09-21 08-27-20-63.jpg (Size: 189.18 KB / Downloads: 100)
09-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Wiggle the door furiously (as if playing a Wii game) and pres the right-mouse button to push it with extra strength. Also go and find a chair or other heavy object and throw it at the door, see if that makes it "unlock".

If that does not help, you can find a Load Game in the main menu and load a save from before you used the acid on the lock.
09-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Website Find
Spiegelman Offline

Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Compiling a List of Problems - Prison North

(09-21-2010, 07:40 AM)yatja Wrote: Prison North

After using the acid i gathered from the kitchen and then the hammer & chipper on the weakend lock on the door leading to the cistern i am unable to progress any further.

Added under Object Issues just incase you can't get it to become unstuck. Let me know if jens' suggestions fix it.
09-21-2010, 04:31 PM
Find
Jinix Offline

Threads: 8
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: Compiling a list of bugs/glitches

(09-11-2010, 06:55 PM)tonewww Wrote: if you stack a bunch of boxes or somemthing under those doors that u raise by pulling a lever or turning a valve it stays open,handy exploit

I'm pretty sure that's intended as a part of the plan and not really an exploit.

Jinix ~~~ZiXiZ~~~ OAP
09-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Find