Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

First thoughts after finishing Amnesia: TDD
gorkypah Offline

Threads: 1
First thoughts after finishing Amnesia: TDD

I just finished playing Amnesia The Dark Descent. I bought it yesterday through Steam because it was half off this weekend. This game is very dark, atmospheric, and scary. The puzzles weren't obscure like Penumbra. Only complaint is the flashbacks were too frequent than I would have preferred, but still added to the fear. I always like Frictional games because they use some really detailed textures and environments.
12-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Find
LoneWolf Offline

Threads: 43
RE: First thoughts after finishing Amnesia: TDD

Yeah i loved it. I want more, but i wish the ai were smarter and that there were tougher puzzles. Theres also a few glitches too, like all games have, mainly with entitys getting stuck in walls.

one of the scariest games ive played.
12-11-2010, 11:22 PM
Find
Spooder Wekd Offline

Threads: 10

I don't see how better AI would benefit the game. Perhaps they could search for you? That might be cool. Though I like knowing that hiding is always a safe bet.
12-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Website Find
LoneWolf Offline

Just the fact that they run for you and clearly see you then they clearly see you run into a room but they strangely decide to not chase you anymore.

Also once an enemy chased me to a room i closed the door on it, it then broke it down and walked off imediately. So if it was smarter it woudl have atleast searched the room a little. I feel this takes the fear away a little. Still 1 of the scariest games ive played though.
12-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Find
Childerich Offline

(12-12-2010, 01:02 AM)LoneWolf Wrote: Also once an enemy chased me to a room i closed the door on it, it then broke it down and walked off imediately. So if it was smarter it woudl have atleast searched the room a little. I feel this takes the fear away a little. Still 1 of the scariest games ive played though.

I agree. I witnessed the same behaviour, I think it was in the prison area. I would also have preferred random monster encounters; it would have made subsequent playthroughs a lot more exciting.
12-13-2010, 01:41 AM
Find
LoneWolf Offline

Yeah, first playthrough was amazing, but then the 2nd playthrough you realise that the so called random encounters arn't random in any shape or form.

But i suppose this is very hard to do, because sometimes when people play they may not actually find much monsters if its random. Atleast there woudl be a few unlucky people. Also after using the level editor and also loading the actual story maps in level editor you see exactly where enemys spawn and where they walk to, so i dont recommend doing that unless you've completed it as many times as you want to because it ruins it, as:

Spoiler below!

I found out that in the prison section there are many scripted areas which spawns an enemy to walk a certain path, so you could just sit in the one position and no enemy woudl ever find you because there is non, and when an enemy finishes the path it disapears. Thats why sometimes people experience 2 monsters in the one area because they ran through 2 scripted areas which therefore activate an enemy each. Not sure if this was intended.

Anyway i wish there were more enemy types because they get boring eventually. Scary game anyway despite the flaws.
12-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Find
MooseTheScared Offline

(12-11-2010, 11:22 PM)LoneWolf Wrote: Yeah i loved it. I want more, but i wish the ai were smarter and that there were tougher puzzles.

I don't think the monsters should be smarter. They are monsters after all, products of death. They certainly lack the intelligence of a living person.
But I also would like more complex puzzles.
12-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Find