Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Son (W.I.P)
Ichimaruu Offline

Threads: 2
Son (W.I.P)

I'm setting out to create a custom story that is more like The Dark Descent.

What I mean is: In most custom stories there are things that will make you jump within the first 2 minutes of play time, this de-sensitizes you, you won't find it as scary if you jump every 5 seconds.

EDIT: This story will be based around you being Daniel's son.

[Image: firstroom.th.png]
(The first room, I'll add more pictures later)

So for the intro I'm making the scare factors few and far between, but I do want to keep the creepiness. I want the player to have to light candles and keep an eye on the amount of tinderboxes they have, I want them to fear the darkness in the corner of the room.

I will set out to achieve at least 1 hour of playtime, but there are some things I need to ask here first:

-When using the ConnectedLight function, the PointLight will start on, even though I set it to inactive, I would like the point light to activate when the lamp is lit if that's possible.

-Are these parameters correct for opening a door?
SetSwingDoorClosed("DoorSwing2", false, false);

-I could use some advice with .lang files for notes, If anyone knows how they work that'd be awesome.

-Which function is used for the vertical screen stretch that I saw so often in TDD? I can only seem to find the screen shake effect.

Thanks for all your help!
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2011, 08:40 PM by Ichimaruu.)
01-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Find
Tottel Offline

Threads: 9
RE: Limbo (W.I.P)

Sounds very good, but 1 hour of playtime will be quite a challenge. Although maybe not such a challenge, just loads more work. Smile

2. That function unlocks the door. If that's what you want, then yes. If you want it to actually swing open, you need to use
void AddPropForce(string& asName, float afX, float afY, float afZ, string& asCoordSystem);

3. Assuming you have an extra_english.lang file?

Place this as a new category within the LANGUAGE boundaries.

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
            <Entry Name="Note_Something_Text">Here goes the description that will be put in your note.</Entry>
            <Entry Name="Note_Something_Name">Title that will appear in your note list</Entry>            
    </CATEGORY>

Then you make it appear in your notes, like so:

GiveHint("Name", "Hints", "EntryName", 7.0f);

Name doesn't matter that much; Hints is the category; EntryName is what you have put in your language file (and the name for the note in the level editor). This MUST be like:

Note_EntryName_Text and Note_EntryName_Name.
01-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Find
Ichimaruu Offline

RE: Limbo (W.I.P)

(01-16-2011, 12:49 PM)Tottel Wrote: Sounds very good, but 1 hour of playtime will be quite a challenge. Although maybe not such a challenge, just loads more work. Smile

2. That function unlocks the door. If that's what you want, then yes. If you want it to actually swing open, you need to use
void AddPropForce(string& asName, float afX, float afY, float afZ, string& asCoordSystem);

3. Assuming you have an extra_english.lang file?

Place this as a new category within the LANGUAGE boundaries.

<CATEGORY Name="Journal">
            <Entry Name="Note_Something_Text">Here goes the description that will be put in your note.</Entry>
            <Entry Name="Note_Something_Name">Title that will appear in your note list</Entry>            
    </CATEGORY>

Then you make it appear in your notes, like so:

GiveHint("Name", "Hints", "EntryName", 7.0f);

Name doesn't matter that much; Hints is the category; EntryName is what you have put in your language file (and the name for the note in the level editor). This MUST be like:

Note_EntryName_Text and Note_EntryName_Name.

Thanks for the quick reply!

There is one other thing, the sanity stays maxed out whether I am in the dark or not, is there a way to fix that?
01-16-2011, 12:50 PM
Find
Tottel Offline

RE: Paramnesia (W.I.P)

Did you make a custom story and copy over config files, such as game.cfg?
In this particular config file, you can change all sorts of things, such as sanity effects.
Although I find it weird that they no longer work to begin with. Do you still have the 'nightvision' when in complete darkness?

On a side note, I must admit I never noticed that my sanity went down on a custom map in the dark.. Hmmmmm
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2011, 12:55 PM by Tottel.)
01-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Find
Ichimaruu Offline

(01-16-2011, 12:55 PM)Tottel Wrote: Do you still have the 'nightvision' when in complete darkness?

On a side note, I must admit I never noticed that my sanity went down on a custom map in the dark.. Hmmmmm

Yes I still get the nightvision, I haven't copied over the files yet, but i'll be sure to do that. ;]
01-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Find
Ichimaruu Offline

Okay I've tried copying

Game.cfg
Menu.cfg
Pre_Menu.cfg
Main_init.cfg over to both the config/ folder of my custom story folder and I've tried putting them in the same place as custom_story_settings.cfg, neither work, do I have the wrong files ?
01-16-2011, 05:46 PM
Find
Tottel Offline

No, those are the files. When I have some time, I'll check myself, because I really can't remember ever losing sanity because of the darkness.
01-16-2011, 05:57 PM
Find
Ichimaruu Offline

Okay, I've managed to get notes as well as Item names sorted.. I guess I hit two birds with one stone there.

I've thought of a decent storyline now, sort of a side-story to TDD in which you play Daniels son, I wonder if it's been done before... probably, but I'll stick with this till I know for sure, because it'll be fun.

I still need to fix the door movement.. after using the code you gave me it didn't quite work.

void OnStart()
{
AddEntityCollideCallback("Player" , "ScriptArea_6" , "DoorFunc1" , true , 1);
}
void DoorFunc1(string &in asProp)
{
    AddPropForce("DoorSwing1", -200.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, "Local");
}
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2011, 08:39 PM by Ichimaruu.)
01-16-2011, 08:37 PM
Find
Pandemoneus Offline

RE: Son (W.I.P)

Quote:-When using the ConnectedLight function, the PointLight will start on, even though I set it to inactive, I would like the point light to activate when the lamp is lit if that's possible.

Solution: Put the light colors of your PointLight to 0, that means move the slider for red, green, blue and alpha all to 0.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:There is one other thing, the sanity stays maxed out whether I am in the dark or not, is there a way to fix that?

Solution: Put
SetSanityDrainDisabled(false);
in OnStart.

Quote:I still need to fix the door movement.. after using the code you gave me it didn't quite work.

Solution:
Use AddPropImpulse instead of AddPropForce.
AddPropImpulse("DoorSwing1", -1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, "world"); //Open a bit

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2011, 10:09 PM by Pandemoneus.)
01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Find
Ichimaruu Offline

RE: Son (W.I.P)

(01-17-2011, 10:08 PM)Pandemoneus Wrote:
Quote:-When using the ConnectedLight function, the PointLight will start on, even though I set it to inactive, I would like the point light to activate when the lamp is lit if that's possible.

Solution: Put the light colors of your PointLight to 0, that means move the slider for red, green, blue and alpha all to 0.

Quote:There is one other thing, the sanity stays maxed out whether I am in the dark or not, is there a way to fix that?

Solution: Put
SetSanityDrainDisabled(false);
in OnStart.

Quote:I still need to fix the door movement.. after using the code you gave me it didn't quite work.

Solution:
Use AddPropImpulse instead of AddPropForce.
AddPropImpulse("DoorSwing1", -1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, "world"); //Open a bit

Ahh brilliant thanks mate! The sanity thing was really bugging me and the doors opening would be a great feature to have.
01-17-2011, 10:14 PM
Find