Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia killed the horror genre
JarrodTheBobo Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre

lol. i came to frictional games because there WERE no scary games Smile. well...besides silent hil...
01-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Find
Tintin Offline

Threads: 4

Not to take away the glory from Frictional Games, but are the Silent Hill series really all that good? I've heard the first two are the best - the first being the scariest and the second being the most psychologically creepy. Thanks

Ah, the water beast - terrifying! Just played the Amnesia demo, creepy stuff. Can't even hide in the shadows because Daniel doesn't like the dark and the light just makes you visible to the enemy. The sanity bar is a great addition but it's rather sensitive. Oh dear. This is going to be a tough game.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM by Tintin.)
01-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

Silent Hill 1 is scary because the controls are so difficult you're in constant peril from the walls as much as the enemies. SH2 is very psychological and penetrating of a disturbed psyche and town. No one loves SH3 for some reason, but it's an examination of rage, coping and revenge. SH4 has very dodgy gameplay but the story itself is fascinating and I loved it.
01-24-2011, 06:42 AM
Find
Tintin Offline

Thanks. Do you know of any online shops where I could buy Silent Hill 2 for PC? I'm having trouble finding it anywhere.

EDIT: Just bought Amnesia on Steam. I hope paramedics are at the ready. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM by Tintin.)
01-24-2011, 06:46 AM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

All that I read is the word "heard". Are people this unable to gain their own experience? Or dumb enough to believe everything they "heard".

01-24-2011, 11:32 AM
Website Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

Imo Amnesia was/is a very scary game , but not as scary/disturbing/Hellish as Silent Hill ...

overall both are very good , but when it comes to scaryness or nightmarish surroundings , nothing at the moment beats Silent Hill (again imo).

major downside on the Sh-series is the third-person view where ONLY in SH 1 you could change the view to first-person in an hidden option menu.

?
01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Website Find
Tintin Offline

Tanshaydar, was that directed at me? If so, I think you're being a bit rude. I'm the sort of person that likes to know something of the quality of a game before I choose to buy it, so I read non-spoilered reviews and consider people's recommendations to me. How is that a problem and how does that make me dumb? It's quite different to taking serious things on hearsay. This is game.

ChancePhoenix, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2011, 12:32 PM by Tintin.)
01-24-2011, 12:30 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(01-23-2011, 05:00 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 04:57 PM)Shev Wrote: I heard that 4 wasn't even that scary.

Heard?
I bet you heard 4 was not a Silent Hill game at all?
Really, some games couldn't be judged by hearing.

For a long time SH4 never was an old good SH-game for me. But then they releases SH5 and... sigh. Even SH4 wasn't so bad.

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2011, 12:52 PM by Kein.)
01-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

Threads: 0

(01-23-2011, 05:00 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote:
(01-23-2011, 04:57 PM)Shev Wrote: I heard that 4 wasn't even that scary.

Heard?
I bet you heard 4 was not a Silent Hill game at all?
Really, some games couldn't be judged by hearing.

implying that hearing what others think isn't a good judement in any respect...

just because a lot of people didn't like the game and you did doesn't mean they got it wrong, it just means you think differently to them, if he wants to judge the game before hand by looking into it and gathering opinions then great, that is a good idea, they may not reflect exactly what he might think of the game if he played it, but it's an indicator, i for one would never have bought any frictional game if my friend hadn't said that it was great, so i heard it was great game that i would like... and that is what it was, so i think that all games can be ball-parked from hearsay, it's just a matter of getting opinions from different sources... also, i heard you like silent hill 4 in at least some respect? is this incorrect?
01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

(01-24-2011, 12:30 PM)Tintin Wrote: Tanshaydar, was that directed at me? If so, I think you're being a bit rude. I'm the sort of person that likes to know something of the quality of a game before I choose to buy it, so I read non-spoilered reviews and consider people's recommendations to me. How is that a problem and how does that make me dumb? It's quite different to taking serious things on hearsay. This is game.

ChancePhoenix, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

No, no, not directly. Sorry if I sounded like it, really. I watch & read reviews before buy or play a game, too.
However, I never took a game with bad expectations or never gave up on a game because people says something.

(01-24-2011, 12:50 PM)Kein Wrote: For a long time SH4 never was an old good SH-game for me. But then they releases SH5 and... sigh. Even SH4 wasn't so bad.

Lol, you sound like a hardcore fanboy. I really hope you are not one of them.

(01-24-2011, 01:43 PM)Zoridium JackL Wrote: implying that hearing what others think isn't a good judement in any respect...

just because a lot of people didn't like the game and you did doesn't mean they got it wrong, it just means you think differently to them, if he wants to judge the game before hand by looking into it and gathering opinions then great, that is a good idea, they may not reflect exactly what he might think of the game if he played it, but it's an indicator, i for one would never have bought any frictional game if my friend hadn't said that it was great, so i heard it was great game that i would like... and that is what it was, so i think that all games can be ball-parked from hearsay, it's just a matter of getting opinions from different sources... also, i heard you like silent hill 4 in at least some respect? is this incorrect?

Although I mostly agree with you, there is a point that you are missing. I led a Silent Hill fan-website for a long time to see many different people with many different thoughts. You can call it prejudice, but I saw that only a few people had 'their own' idea. All others just copied others' ideas. I saw people decrying Homecoming, but when I asked them about founder families, they couldn't give me a single answer. More than three years, I debated with people like that. Now, what should I do? What should my point of view be?

I admit that I have a weird appetite. I liked BioShock 2 over BioShock 1. I liked Homecoming. I'm a passionate fan of Silent Hill. And I think many people are just taking them with double standard. They are not treating them fairly.

I sometimes got over-excited and might be rude. I'm sorry about that.

01-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Website Find