Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia killed the horror genre
Searinox Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre

Weapons or powerups that boost your offensive capabilities have been a central focus of games since before 3D. They have become such deeply-rooted concepts in gaming that even horror games simply limit their effectiveness or amount, but dare not remove them altogether.

Amnesia was brave enough to take this step, and with horrificly effective results.
02-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4

Even jump scares are a shit on Dead Space... it wasn't meant to be a scary game, it's not scary, and its jump scares are kinda boring and slow..
02-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Find
hollowleviathan Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 2

(02-01-2011, 06:10 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: @ dmdmdm
Just imagine that you could experience the above (attacked by the monster from Deadspace2 or Amnesia) in REAL LIFE ...

Standing in a fully enclosed futuristic armor suit with a dozen futuristic weapons with plentiful ammunition attacked by the 7th monster of a kind I've killed before on my ship, and standing in a cotton shirt with a dozen...tinderboxes and a lantern attacked by a monster in his home.

One of them is going to result in 'Yikes, he jumped out at me, now watch the way his limbs fly off' and the other will be 'Oh Christ no don't find me oh God.'

Do you see why people would say these are different genres? One of them seems very action-y with horror elements, and the other is...horror.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2011, 12:43 AM by hollowleviathan.)
02-03-2011, 12:42 AM
Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

(02-03-2011, 12:42 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote: One of them is going to result in 'Yikes, he jumped out at me, now watch the way his limbs fly off' and the other will be 'Oh Christ no don't find me oh God.'

This made me laugh out loud. Big Grin
02-03-2011, 03:35 AM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

(02-03-2011, 12:42 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote:
Just imagine that you could experience the above (attacked by the monster from Deadspace2 or Amnesia) in REAL LIFE ...

Standing in a fully enclosed futuristic armor suit with a dozen futuristic weapons with plentiful ammunition attacked by the 7th monster of a kind I've killed before on my ship, and standing in a cotton shirt with a dozen...tinderboxes and a lantern attacked by a monster in his home.

One of them is going to result in 'Yikes, he jumped out at me, now watch the way his limbs fly off' and the other will be 'Oh Christ no don't find me oh God.'

Do you see why people would say these are different genres? One of them seems very action-y with horror elements, and the other is...horror.

True , but in Dead Space (1 and 2) case using HEAVY weaponry by upgrading them to the MAX is a choice , NOT a nessasity Wink.

Try completing Deadspace using only the standard (without ANY upgrades) plasma-cutter and by trying to OUTRUN the monsters ...

It"S POSSIBLE , but it"ll give FEAR a whole new meaning , and also more a feeling of SURVIVAL-Horror.

Just remember , it"S YOUR CHOICE how you want to play/experience Amnesia (with or without tinderboxes) and Dead Space series (with or without upgraded weaponry).
Different choices give different experience of both games.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2011, 11:28 AM by CHANCEPHOENIX.)
02-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Website Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4

(02-03-2011, 11:25 AM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote:
(02-03-2011, 12:42 AM)hollowleviathan Wrote:

True , but in Dead Space (1 and 2) case using HEAVY weaponry by upgrading them to the MAX is a choice , NOT a nessasity Wink.

Try completing Deadspace using only the standard (without ANY upgrades) plasma-cutter and by trying to OUTRUN the monsters ...

It"S POSSIBLE , but it"ll give FEAR a whole new meaning , and also more a feeling of SURVIVAL-Horror.

Just remember , it"S YOUR CHOICE how you want to play/experience Amnesia (with or without tinderboxes) and Dead Space series (with or without upgraded weaponry).
Different choices give different experience of both games.

And this guy was talking about immersion... In the real life, would you CHOOSE to don't upgrade the weapons?

LOL...
02-03-2011, 11:44 AM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

why not ?

If you like a challenge ....

Some people do "strange" things to get that " Rush" ...

for instance , some bungee-jump of high buildings , some do dangerous drugs , and some play DeadSpace without using upgrades ...

Different people , different methods ...

that"S LIFE.
02-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

I wonder people ever actually played first and/or second Dead Space?
I completed 1st one many times; and 2nd one twice, and I beat it on hardcore, which gives you only 3 save all over the game and nothing about ammo & health. You start from last save when you die.
I had to cut the limbs of the monsters to use against others. I was using swabs to protect myself. I had times one monster was coming at me slowly, where I had no ammo to protect myself or nowhere to run; waiting for my brutal death. I died many times by the monsters I've never heard them coming.

I mean, c'mon guys. It's a game you can easily immerse yourself. Who say lots of ammo? Playing on easiest difficulty and saying it's an action game? Blah!

Amnesia is a real horror game, I love it. However, loving one doesn't require to excoriate another. Where people's only doing is to push a game into dog's hole.

02-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Website Find
SHODANFreeman Offline

Threads: 15

Why do you keep assuming that we have only played Dead Space on the easiest difficulty? Huh
02-03-2011, 04:43 PM
Find
dmdmdm Offline

Threads: 0

(02-03-2011, 02:44 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: I mean, c'mon guys. It's a game you can easily immerse yourself. Who say lots of ammo? Playing on easiest difficulty and saying it's an action game? Blah!

I completed the first game on Impossible, but I still had plenty of ammo and health packs when I finished the game.

I still don't get why people even compare these two games. Dead Space is an action game with cheap scares. Why make it hard for yourself? If you run out of ammo, you'll just die because you can't hide from the enemies. It would make the game frustrating. I liked the first one, but I can't really call it horror. If it had more moments like the one where you couldn't kill the enemy, then it would actually be scary. Better yet, make it so that you can't kill the enemies for good.
02-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Find