Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Amnesia killed the horror genre
matches81 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Amnesia killed the horror genre

(02-04-2011, 01:20 PM)kailip Wrote:
(02-04-2011, 12:40 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote:
(02-02-2011, 12:46 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Not respecting people's scares is what we should not bother with. Some can be scared of even Left 4 Dead, and it's not fake.

left for Dead was indeed scary becuz of the insane fast zombies that came in hordes ...

the campaign-mode of Doom 3 (with the portal to Hell) was also superscary and i enjoyed it very much.

This totally proves that this guy has no sense of "horror" or "scary"
Kinda funny how you completely ignore the point Tanshaydar made. Sorry, you're not the one to decide what's scary for me or not. I am.
Same with SpookerWekd, who seems to think he can "prove" in some way that Penumbra was scarier than Amnesia. Might be true for him, but I could easily play and finish Penumbra alone at night in a dark room. Amnesia? No. Took me "down" in a matter of minutes.
Different people are susceptible to different scares. When someone says Dead Space is scary, I can understand that. For me, it wasn't that scary, but I can see there were quite a few elements that were supposed to be and seemingly worked for a lot of people. Left 4 Dead is a great example, too. The common denominator seems to be that it isn't scary. To be honest: It was for me. Playing through the campaigns for the first time with my friends was an awesome experience.

Stop being intentionally ignorant, accept the fact that someone might have a differing opinion and stop seeing your own opinion as fact when it clearly isn't. To sum it up: Grow up.

For me, Amnesia didn't "ruin" the horror genre. It was a great addition to it, but that doesn't mean there are no other games, books or movies that scare me. I'm pretty certain that Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame (Project Zero for Europeans), etc would still scare me if I played them now... and I'm positive there will be other games that scare me.
To be honest, I don't think "Amnesia was scarier than this" when I watch a good film, read a good book or play a good game... and I think it's pretty stupid to intentionally ruin the experience for yourself that way.
02-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

(02-06-2011, 12:12 PM)matches81 Wrote:
(02-04-2011, 01:20 PM)kailip Wrote:
(02-04-2011, 12:40 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote:
(02-02-2011, 12:46 AM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Not respecting people's scares is what we should not bother with. Some can be scared of even Left 4 Dead, and it's not fake.

left for Dead was indeed scary becuz of the insane fast zombies that came in hordes ...

the campaign-mode of Doom 3 (with the portal to Hell) was also superscary and i enjoyed it very much.

This totally proves that this guy has no sense of "horror" or "scary"
Kinda funny how you completely ignore the point Tanshaydar made. Sorry, you're not the one to decide what's scary for me or not. I am.
Same with SpookerWekd, who seems to think he can "prove" in some way that Penumbra was scarier than Amnesia. Might be true for him, but I could easily play and finish Penumbra alone at night in a dark room. Amnesia? No. Took me "down" in a matter of minutes.
Different people are susceptible to different scares. When someone says Dead Space is scary, I can understand that. For me, it wasn't that scary, but I can see there were quite a few elements that were supposed to be and seemingly worked for a lot of people. Left 4 Dead is a great example, too. The common denominator seems to be that it isn't scary. To be honest: It was for me. Playing through the campaigns for the first time with my friends was an awesome experience.

Stop being intentionally ignorant, accept the fact that someone might have a differing opinion and stop seeing your own opinion as fact when it clearly isn't. To sum it up: Grow up.

For me, Amnesia didn't "ruin" the horror genre. It was a great addition to it, but that doesn't mean there are no other games, books or movies that scare me. I'm pretty certain that Silent Hill 2, Fatal Frame (Project Zero for Europeans), etc would still scare me if I played them now... and I'm positive there will be other games that scare me.
To be honest, I don't think "Amnesia was scarier than this" when I watch a good film, read a good book or play a good game... and I think it's pretty stupid to intentionally ruin the experience for yourself that way.

implying that by thinking that amnesia was scarier is "intentionally" ruining experiences when it's not necessarily something we can consciously control.

who's being ignorant now...
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2011, 12:41 PM by Zoridium JackL.)
02-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Find
kailip Offline

Threads: 4

Wow, another guy that wants to prove that Dead Space and Left 4 Dead are scary games... go kill yourself.

That's why good scary games are not made anymore, everything that is made is OK for them... Just ridiculous
02-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

(02-06-2011, 01:16 PM)kailip Wrote: Wow, another guy that wants to prove that Dead Space and Left 4 Dead are scary games... go kill yourself.

That's why good scary games are not made anymore, everything that is made is OK for them... Just ridiculous

"Go kill youreself " ???

lol , wut an immature response.

her"s a nice gif fo you kailip :

[Image: 2m42ckl.jpg]
02-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Website Find
matches81 Offline

(02-06-2011, 12:41 PM)Zoridium JackL Wrote: implying that by thinking that amnesia was scarier is "intentionally" ruining experiences when it's not necessarily something we can consciously control.

The keyword here is 'necessarily', IMO. Besides that I doubt that "Amnesia was scarier" is something your subconscious would come up with, I think comparing everything horror-related you watch, play or read to Amnesia just because that's the last good scare you had is intentionally ruining your experience. To me that's the same as people calling every game a "ripoff" of some other game they've played before that and enjoyed. It's obvious that the game you played before will come to your mind, but going "ripoff!!!" simply keeps you from experiencing the game and evaluating it on its own merits.
Simply put: You can tackle every game / movie / book from now on having Amnesia in mind and comparing it to that... or you could just take it for what it is and see how it holds up on its own.
Comparing is fine... just give the "challenger" a fair chance instead of declaring it the loser before you even started.

(02-06-2011, 01:16 PM)kailip Wrote: Wow, another guy that wants to prove that Dead Space and Left 4 Dead are scary games... go kill yourself.

You should just learn to read. I don't understand why you're being so aggressive, to be honest.
a) I didn't even try to prove anything. I merely said that different scares work for different people.
b) I explicitly said that Dead Space didn't work for me too well. If I need to spell it out for you: It stopped being scary when it turned into a pure shooter and the "scares" became mechanical and predictable. That doesn't mean that people who found it scary are wrong, though. It just means that I wasn't scared by it too much.
02-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

(02-06-2011, 01:47 PM)matches81 Wrote:
(02-06-2011, 12:41 PM)Zoridium JackL Wrote: implying that by thinking that amnesia was scarier is "intentionally" ruining experiences when it's not necessarily something we can consciously control.

The keyword here is 'necessarily', IMO. Besides that I doubt that "Amnesia was scarier" is something your subconscious would come up with, I think comparing everything horror-related you watch, play or read to Amnesia just because that's the last good scare you had is intentionally ruining your experience. To me that's the same as people calling every game a "ripoff" of some other game they've played before that and enjoyed. It's obvious that the game you played before will come to your mind, but going "ripoff!!!" simply keeps you from experiencing the game and evaluating it on its own merits.
Simply put: You can tackle every game / movie / book from now on having Amnesia in mind and comparing it to that... or you could just take it for what it is and see how it holds up on its own.
Comparing is fine... just give the "challenger" a fair chance instead of declaring it the loser before you even started.

You should just learn to read. I don't understand why you're being so aggressive, to be honest.
a) I didn't even try to prove anything. I merely said that different scares work for different people.
b) I explicitly said that Dead Space didn't work for me too well. If I need to spell it out for you: It stopped being scary when it turned into a pure shooter and the "scares" became mechanical and predictable. That doesn't mean that people who found it scary are wrong, though. It just means that I wasn't scared by it too much.

really... because the recognition of the whatever makes you think of amnesia, this is a subconscious thing, you can't stop yourself from recognizing something or something similar, trust me, you can't, i've tried...
02-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Find
Sel Offline

Threads: 10

(02-06-2011, 01:46 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: "Go kill youreself " ???

You're one to talk about maturity here, seriously, this looks like it was written by a 5 year old. Half your fucking words aren't even spelled right.

Oh, and responding with some irrelevant image isn't winning you any point either.
Just read this travesty of a thread, CHANCEPHOENIX, please never post again if you're going to continue to spew out such garbage posts.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2011, 10:01 PM by Sel.)
02-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Find
Frontcannon Offline

Threads: 10

All hail to the forum nazis

╔═════════════════╗
☺ Smoke weed everyday ☺
╚═════════════════╝
02-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Find
Gharren Offline

Threads: 1

Heey, it's such a nice evening, no reason for arguing.
02-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Website Find
CHANCEPHOENIX Offline

Threads: 5

(02-06-2011, 09:55 PM)Sel Wrote:
(02-06-2011, 01:46 PM)CHANCEPHOENIX Wrote: "Go kill youreself " ???

You're one to talk about maturity here, seriously, this looks like it was written by a 5 year old. Half your fucking words aren't even spelled right.

Oh, and responding with some irrelevant image isn't winning you any point either.
Just read this travesty of a thread, CHANCEPHOENIX, please never post again if you're going to continue to spew out such garbage posts.

ER .... i don"T gettit ...

anyway , stay on topic or have a :

http://i47.tinypic.com/258ynoz.jpg

?
02-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Website Find