Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions?
Ssschah Offline

Threads: 4
Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions?

So what basically happened in Penumbra? First he was gonna find his father or whatever happened to him so he went to Greenland by boat, then he got cold so he went into a mine, he met Red and there were mysteriously demented dogs. Red was (kinda) crazy so was phillip a little so he incinerated Red. Then he got stuff to go further on into the mine and got knock out by a tuuringait. (Who exactly was Red? Was he that eloff carpenter guy or not?) then Phillip learned bout the infect got out and sent the message to kill them all (who did he send the message too? Which friend?) then the whole requiem was in his mind and made up? and he woke up at the end of overture or was it the end of black plague? If the end of overture then the whole black plague was also in his mind? and If it was at the end of black plague then how did he get all the way back to the beginning of the complex near the incinerator? So many questions I don't understand... What did the artifact's end up being? Please answer as many questions as possible as Penumbra was a fun game, it was realistic, it was scary, and it had such a good storyline that I want to fully understand...
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2011, 05:52 AM by Ssschah.)
04-10-2011, 05:51 AM
Find
TheAlluringDarkness13 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Penumbra overall storyline and a few questions?

I try to answer your questions as good as I can (sorry my english).
1.Red was a guy who worked in the mine (his actual name was Tom Redwood)
2.I think Philip had sent the message to "us" but I´m not sure
3.I haven´t played Requiem so I don´t know anything about that
And the artifacts (do you mean the save points?) were things that were in the Tuurngait-Tomb and helped the virus to grow.This is what I understood.
I hope you have understood what I wrote and that it helped you a little.
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM by TheAlluringDarkness13.)
04-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Find
Ssschah Offline

(04-10-2011, 04:40 PM)TheAlluringDarkness13 Wrote: I try to answer your questions as good as I can (sorry my english).
1.Red was a guy who worked in the mine (his actual name was Tom Redwood)
2.I think Philip had sent the message to "us" but I´m not sure
3.I haven´t played Requiem so I don´t know anything about that
And the artifacts (do you mean the save points?) were things that were in the Tuurngait-Tomb and helped the virus to grow.This is what I understood.
I hope you have understood what I wrote and that it helped you a little.

Thank you, that helped a little, I understand the artifact's in the first two games were tuuringait things helping to spread the virus, but what I don't understand is in requiem there is some other kind of artifact (i think) and you need to have them all to get the good ending of requiem.(supposedly)
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2011, 05:46 PM by Ssschah.)
04-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Find
TheAlluringDarkness13 Offline

What I know about the artifacts in Requiem is that they are actually look like the artifacts in Black Plague.
If you have them all you can choose whether either go to Red in the incinerator or through the door to your freedom...or so...I think there are some other topics about this in this forum.
04-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Find
Ssschah Offline

Another question??? So how did Phillip contact the hive in black plague? If you play the game without using any of the devices you still get infected with Clarence, but my real question is how come Clarence is different from the other Tuuringait?
04-10-2011, 11:02 PM
Find
gandalf91 Offline

Threads: 13

I don't think he did. I believe the hive contacted him. As far as Clarence, I don't know. Perhaps he was just an anomaly.
04-11-2011, 01:18 AM
Find
Ssschah Offline

Who was the shadowy figure at the end of Penumbra Overture? Because I know you walk into that final hall and see a person standing there, then when you start to walk towards him or rather it the lights turn off and a tuuringait(?) hits you unconcious and you wake up in a room they were using for cells? Also how come they took you prisoner if later in the game overtime they see you they want to kill you? And at the end they don't want to kill you? So much confusion and so many questions...
04-11-2011, 04:13 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(04-10-2011, 05:51 AM)Ssschah Wrote: Who exactly was Red?

Red was one of the mine workers. His real name is Tom Redwood.

(04-10-2011, 05:51 AM)Ssschah Wrote: the whole requiem was in his mind and made up?

In mind, yes.
But not made up.

(04-10-2011, 05:51 AM)Ssschah Wrote: and he woke up at the end of overture or was it the end of black plague?

No, it was the end of Black Plague (same room you sent the email from).
As you see, when Requiem starts, you get knocked out by one of the Infected because you betrayed the Hive mind like Clarence did.

(04-10-2011, 05:51 AM)Ssschah Wrote: and If it was at the end of black plague then how did he get all the way back to the beginning of the complex near the incinerator?

He didn't get back to the incinerator.
That was in his mind while he was unconscious / dead.
You decide this in the end of the Requiem, you can either join in with Red to die, or leave the room and start the whole story from the beginning, which means (if you look from the part of the Hive mind) a new possibility to do the right thing - destroy all the evidence.

(04-10-2011, 05:44 PM)Ssschah Wrote: I understand the artifact's in the first two games were tuuringait things helping to spread the virus, but what I don't understand is in requiem there is some other kind of artifact (i think) and you need to have them all to get the good ending of requiem.(supposedly)

No. Nothing like that.
Those are just so you can get the password in the end of the game.

(04-11-2011, 04:13 AM)Ssschah Wrote: Who was the shadowy figure at the end of Penumbra Overture?

There is no known answer for this question.
But I believe it was one of the Infected to attract you to a trap.

(04-11-2011, 04:13 AM)Ssschah Wrote: Also how come they took you prisoner if later in the game overtime they see you they want to kill you? And at the end they don't want to kill you?

You were already infected with the virus, so you were part of the Hive mind and Hive mind works together (as said in the end part of the Black Plague).

Clarence showed up later, and in the end, Clarence had selfish goals that made them attack you to kill Clarence.
But since you remove the virus (Clarence) from your body, you were not the primary target anymore - Clarence was - and they killed him.

Why they didn't kill you after that?
Hive mind had plans for you, same plans it suggested to Phillips father.
And those plans were to destroy any evidence leading to the mine so that the Hive mind would rest in peace.

But the email you sent, told exact coordinates to the mine and told Phillip's friend to get there and kill the Hive mind.

04-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Website Find
Ssschah Offline

So when the hive found out he had betrayed them and he sent that email and he was knocked out, was he killed? Or was he just unconscious and they put "requiem" into his mind so he could supposedly make the right choice again which basically meant if he went with Red in the incinerator then the email was never sent or if he went home on the boat then it was? So if he gets on the boat(the good ending) is it in real life in real time or in his mind?
(This post was last modified: 04-12-2011, 12:59 AM by Ssschah.)
04-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Find
Zoridium JackL Offline

ok, so the reason that clarence is different from the rest is because you managed to overcome the mental obstacle course created in your mind, this meant that the virus didn't take full control and hence formed a split personality called clarence.
04-12-2011, 05:17 AM
Find