Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 3.43 Average
Abduction: Chapter 3 [RELEASE]
Anxt Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Abduction: Chapter 3 [RELEASE]

Delete the map cache file for that map, and it should work properly.

06-14-2011, 10:03 PM
Find
Karai16 Offline

Threads: 24

I sadly haven't had a chance to play it yet sadly Tongue... anyways, Anxt, Moony wants to know what you thought of our testing videos. could you please give your opinion with a bit of explanation, so that I have something better to tell her than just 'good' or bad Tongue

kthanxbai

Custom stories:
Her Games (100% Complete)
Her Games, All Bugs Fixed (100% Complete)
06-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

I will, but send me a PM about it, because I have to leave for work now and will likely forget when I get home Tongue

06-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Find
Finzy Offline

Threads: 3

How do I install this? I have the Steam version of the game, and tried extracting the 1.07 version of the mod to Steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\custom_stories folder, but I can't select it ingame as the custom stories list shows empty.

Would be nice to have installation instructions somewhere you know, for people like me who haven't played custom stories for Amnesia yet and aren't experts at custom content. :p
06-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Find
Dark Knight Offline

Threads: 5

(06-19-2011, 08:05 PM)Finzy Wrote: How do I install this? I have the Steam version of the game, and tried extracting the 1.07 version of the mod to Steamapps\common\amnesia the dark descent\custom_stories folder, but I can't select it ingame as the custom stories list shows empty.

Would be nice to have installation instructions somewhere you know, for people like me who haven't played custom stories for Amnesia yet and aren't experts at custom content. :p

reinstall map (delete whole folder Abduction with that custom story)
or reinstall the game with last Patch 1.0.2
06-19-2011, 08:40 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

1.0.7 is indeed the most recent version of the mod, not 1.0.2. There is occasionally an issue where the story will not appear for even myself, and when that happens, I log over to a different profile without exiting the game, then going back to my own profile to play it. I honestly have no idea why it does that, but give it a go and see if it works. If it doesn't, please let me know either here or through a PM.

06-20-2011, 02:23 AM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

Just downloaded it, not sure why the file was over 120 MB. I'm assuming you included the .cache files for some reason.

Since this was your first Custom Story I'll go a little easy.

Suggestions
Even if the story demanded it, don't bring monsters in too early. Hinting at them is much more effective than just immediately bringing them out within the first 4 minutes of gameplay. By 15 minutes in I was no longer scared and just had fun throwing barrels at Grunts while watching them stumble.

Go easy on some of the billboards. A lot of them were very well placed, but it seemed you duplicated a few on top of themselves which creates a really ugly color scheme akin to a low quality .GIF.

Include SOME ambient lights. In the bedroom area I don't think there was a single light outside the main room.

The Grunt that was supposed to kill me in the beginning failed pretty hard when I just held the door on his face. I eventually realized I was 'supposed to die' and just let him.

Make some more realistic emotions with the player character. After breaking out of a cell, why the hell would Daniel think "By God, I need a container of acid!"

The whole Water Lurker thing was just...pretty awful. It was pretty much directly ripped from the main game, right down to the initial trigger that creates the water planes. The lever opening a heavy door, followed by a near-replica of the Back Hall with the SAME music just made me turn the game off. I've already played Amnesia twice, I don't really want to play the same thing again.

Sorry to be a little harsh, and I know this was your first Custom Story, but I felt it was extremely unoriginal.

Edit
I gave you the courtesy of getting to the end. When I saw Alexander in the Orb Chamber I was like "Oh come on....really." But, that was a pretty cool idea. I personally think "Boss Fights" don't really have a place in Amnesia but your idea was good. You could have made it so much better though. For example, cutting to cheesy oldschool Gannondorf music was completely out of context of the game and just killed the seriousness for me. Also, you need to tone the damage way, way down considering how uneven the hitboxes are. Dying 14 times sort of breaks immersion, especially when Grunts 1-shot you after reviving. I liked how it went in stages but you could have done a lot more with it.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2011, 07:20 PM by DamnNoHtml.)
06-20-2011, 07:03 PM
Find
Anxt Offline

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but the fact that you didn't even play past the back hall offends me. Those were my early maps which show that I was new to the scripting and the engine itself, and the later parts of the story consist of things not seen in ANY story.

I guess I don't understand where you feel you have the authority to tell me these things when you didn't finish it. Yes, I am offended by that, and by the poor review you gave me on ModDB. If you finish the game and still feel I deserve it, fine, but I do not appreciate being judged on the first few maps I made. Could they use some updating? Sure. Nobody is perfect.

So, to sum up, I am offended by the fact that you tell me these things when you won't even finish the story. You will find that the later maps are significantly better, and anyone who has played through it the whole way will back me up on that.

06-20-2011, 07:17 PM
Find
ThePaSch Offline

Threads: 11

(06-20-2011, 07:03 PM)DamnNoHtml Wrote: Since this was your first Custom Story I'll go a little easy.
[...]
Sorry to be a little harsh...
That's a little contradictive, isn't it? Big Grin

Well, I enjoyed it, and if you stopped playing by the Atrium, you missed out on a lot. It gets more original later on, especially Chapters 2 and 3. I was also a bit disappointed when I saw the atrium-back-hall thing again (and you're right, it really looks almost exactly like the one in the main game), but just play it for a little bit longer and you will begin to enjoy it more.
06-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

I edited my post; I did play to the end. What is wrong with me not liking it...? I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just not going to lie and say I loved it. I did not have fun while playing it. I don't have many stories to compare it to since I don't usually play them, but since this was getting such high praise I wanted to check it out.

(06-20-2011, 07:19 PM)ThePaSch Wrote:
(06-20-2011, 07:03 PM)DamnNoHtml Wrote: Since this was your first Custom Story I'll go a little easy.
[...]
Sorry to be a little harsh...
That's a little contradictive, isn't it? Big Grin

Lol I just became frustrated that something that could have been better in my eyes was cut a little short. But again, its his first story. To have his first story even be that long is a feat in itself.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2011, 07:29 PM by DamnNoHtml.)
06-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Find