Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

The Games Just Won't Open
yogamoanyo Offline

Threads: 1
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago The Games Just Won't Open

Hello everybody, I've been having probably a common issue most people have had problems with.

"The Procedure entry point alSource3i could not be located in the dynamic link library OpenAL32.dll."

I've looked up ways to fix this, and nothing works. Nothing at ALL. I haven't gotten way too in depth with how to fix this problem, but I've looked it up long enough. For the best few hours I've been trying to solve the problem. I've updated all my sound drivers, tried uninstalling and re-installing everything, installed all the updates to my computer, and many more that I honestly can't remember off the top of my head (short attention span).

Anyways, I really don't know what to do anymore. I've gotten ridden of the DLL's and everything multiple times and just nothing has been working to solve this. I've restarted my computer 10+ times because of me trying to re-install OpenAL.

If this has to do with anything; before I bought my new graphics card I was able to play the demo of Black Plague fine. I got the games afterward on Steam after I installed a new graphics card, and then it started to not work.

One last thing, a little thing that popped up, only once though, but I was stupid enough to not read the full thing or save what it said, but I do remember it saying OpenAL had a problem installing and asked if I wanted to fix it. I said yes, of course, then it said I must restart my PC. I did this and the problem still hasn't changed.

I'd really like some help, as my friend has really pumped me into playing the series but I can't play it. Thanks.
07-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: The Games Just Won't Open

You need to install the latest OpenAL software for Windows, google it, and patch\update v1.1 which fixes some audio\OpenAL issues.
07-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Find
yogamoanyo Offline

(07-29-2011, 09:17 AM)plutomaniac Wrote: You need to install the latest OpenAL software for Windows, google it, and patch\update v1.1 which fixes some audio\OpenAL issues.

I've done it numerous times and the problem doesn't seem to resolve.
07-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Have you searched google for this error? What have you found?
07-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Find
yogamoanyo Offline

(07-29-2011, 06:22 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Have you searched google for this error? What have you found?

Some people gave a download link to some OpenAL .dll's you'd put in the System32 folder and for some it would work. Others said update the sound drivers. Other have said update your computer. I've read the 3 solutions on the Frictional Games website. I'm pretty sure that's everything.

Edit: I hope that's what you were talking about. Tongue

Edit 2: It seems that I'm missing "newton.dll" now. How exactly do I fix this?
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2011, 06:04 AM by yogamoanyo.)
07-29-2011, 09:10 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

This file should be there since it is important for the game. Try reinstalling. Update your audio drivers too.
07-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Find
yogamoanyo Offline

Well, found the problem. OpenAL.dll for some odd reason decided not to install in the Penumbra redist folder. It's fixed now.
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2011, 03:34 PM by yogamoanyo.)
07-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Great, have fun playing the game!
07-30-2011, 06:15 PM
Find