Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why does Amensia crash the framerate from 60 to 0
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
Why does Amensia crash the framerate from 60 to 0

This problem has been plagueing me for awhile now. It comes and goes and whatever spastic changes I do to Amensia or my Comp, only temporary fix the problem before it comes back sometimes in less than a minute or returns a week later.

This framerate issue only happens to one of my maps for my custom story 7 Deadly Sins. Its a fairly large outdoor level that I didn't want to split up into to smaller maps if I could help it. The area you start in is a enclosed area.
I read somewhere that if you have cracks in walls, the Amensia Engine will try to render or draw everything, slowing performance. But this problem occurs anywhere in my map, so I'm not sure. Just guessing like crazy and can't find a solution.
The map is under 4MB right now, and a couple of my other maps are above 5MB and they have no problems.

I've tried the following...

1. Deleting the map_cache.
2. Restarting Amensia, the Level Editor and/or the Computer.
3. Re-installing Amensia since it was giving me other problems anyways.
4. My system specs are high, so I know their is no problem with that. Lowering graphics anyways didn't do anything.
5. Looking through my script. The worst possible thing it poses is lightning flashing every 30-40 seconds in a infinite loop.

Anyone else have this problem, or any solutions please?

If any of you could actually test out the map for me. That would be great, I'm still wondering if this only affects me and none of you guys... And if it does affect you, I guess I can't ever release this map for my Custom Story. Sad Send me a PM if you would like to help.
09-30-2011, 12:57 AM
Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 67
RE: Why does Amensia crash the framerate from 60 to 0

I've had issues with very low framerates in Amnesia before, and after a while I figured out it was because I was using entities as static welders. Since the entities still had physics, their culling with statics around them caused the physics engine and sounds to overload, and I was sitting there with 1 FPS.

Anyways, check around and see if you're not having that same issue. Since you're working with an outdoor level, I'd bet that if you're using debris entities that that's what's causing it.

But this is only one suggestion. It may not be what you're experiencing at all, and if it isn't, best of luck fixing it Tongue It's just my two cents.

09-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

(09-30-2011, 01:56 AM)palistov Wrote: I've had issues with very low framerates in Amnesia before, and after a while I figured out it was because I was using entities as static welders. Since the entities still had physics, their culling with statics around them caused the physics engine and sounds to overload, and I was sitting there with 1 FPS.
What do you mean static welders? I have some entities with static physics, do you mean that?

09-30-2011, 02:17 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

This wiki article is all the information i can provide to help: http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...erformance

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-30-2011, 02:23 AM
Website Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

For instance, using the wooden beam in entities/debris/ as a horizontal ceiling welder. If its physics is still enabled, meaning it's not static, the collision between the beam and the static objects around it will cause the physics overload (when there are lots of occurrences of this). But if you have turned off their physics with the 'Static Physics' checkbox, then you're fine Smile

09-30-2011, 02:25 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

(09-30-2011, 02:25 AM)palistov Wrote: For instance, using the wooden beam in entities/debris/ as a horizontal ceiling welder. If its physics is still enabled, meaning it's not static, the collision between the beam and the static objects around it will cause the physics overload (when there are lots of occurrences of this). But if you have turned off their physics with the 'Static Physics' checkbox, then you're fine Smile
Oh ya, I know what your talking about now. I don't have that issue, where it lags up for a couple of seconds, then speeds up. This just goes on forever till I quit Amensia!

This framerate issues occurs randomly. If it does not happen withen 1-2 seconds of startup. It might happen later while I'm strolling around in my map when I'm at a nice 25-30fps and then just go down to nothing 0. Angry

Another Question: Where does Amensia save "Continue"? I accidently clicked it, and it brought me to a way, way, older version of my map. When I re-installed Amensia, I thought I only brought the folder of my custom story back into it.

Edit: I think, when I use to pay attention to Amensia's memory usage in the Task Manager. Use to be around 300-350k, but now its jumping up to about 600-750k. It seem's a bit high for a game like this, I don't even think any of my other games even reach half of that usage.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2011, 02:48 AM by Rapture.)
09-30-2011, 02:41 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(09-30-2011, 02:41 AM)Rapture Wrote: Another Question: Where does Amensia save "Continue"?

Assuming Windows, that should be in Documents\Amnesia\Main\<profile>\custom.

BTW, you can disable map saves in your profile configuration.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2011, 02:49 AM by Your Computer.)
09-30-2011, 02:48 AM
Website Find
palistov Offline
Posting Freak

If you're running Windows, the save files are under USERNAME/Documents/Amnesia/Main/. I haven't the foggiest where they are located in Mac/Linux.

Ahhh...if it's not occurring at start-up then this is definitely not your issue (the problem I mentioned). I'd suggest posting it on the technical support forums, maybe some tech guru around here has some insight.

I do know that outdoors maps can be taxing on any sort of computer, especially since the game was really intended to support tightly-enclosed indoor levels. Whenever there is a large area, a special static object is used for its layout (cistern entrance, Zimmerman vision). The outdoor level in The Dark Descent was actually pretty sparse in terms of objects. It has a size of <500kb, smaller than some of their indoors levels! So perhaps try cutting down on how many objects you've got in the actual level.

09-30-2011, 02:49 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199

Have you tried troubleshooting it? Perhaps disable the whole script file and if the slow down then goes away you know it is in the script. Or make copies of the level and then in one remove all the particles, in one remove all the lights, in one remove all entities etc and see if any of those make a difference.
09-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Website Find