Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 84 Vote(s) - 4.31 Average
White Night - Total Conversion v1.1
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45
RE: White Night - Total Conversion

(10-18-2011, 07:11 PM)Leon Kennedy Wrote: I'm stuck after the part where you
Spoiler below!
remove the portrait from the wall on the lowest floor. What do I have to do with these numbers?

Any help would be appreciated!

Spoiler below!
go and open the fridge at the other end of the room. There are some switches on the side of it.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2011, 07:33 PM by plutomaniac.)
10-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

so i spent i good 20+ minutes writing up a review for this just to find out that the forums went down about 5 minutes into me writing it :| i might re-write it in a few days when i'm a little less aggrevated...

Posting Freak
10-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Website Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Threads: 17

20+ minutes? I'd love to read it soon.

10-18-2011, 11:04 PM
Website Find
SonOfLiberty796 Offline

Threads: 39

I....can't....WAIT TO PLAY IT DOWNLOADING NOW!!!! Big Grin

First gotta do some homework and other work...then play it!

Maybe a review after I'm doing playing as well Smile
10-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(10-18-2011, 11:04 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: 20+ minutes? I'd love to read it soon.
well, to be fair i was dead tired so if i was fully awake it probably only would have taken like 10-15... but still, i put some thought into that so needless to say, i was very pissed off >Sad

Posting Freak
10-19-2011, 01:42 AM
Website Find
Khyrpa Offline

Threads: 10

Okay, after playing through twice and watching some lets plays I might as well give some thoughts back (because this story sure did give some). For anyone who hasn't yet played this, play it! And when you are done, if you feel you didn't quite manage to grasp everything, play it again or watch someone else play it and think!
Allright Tansel, prepare for a wall of text! (spoilers)
Spoiler below!

I've been somewhat following the progression of White Night and when I got my hands on it I could say it got me excited. I booted the game up and started playing with lights dimmed and truly focused on trying to get myself immersed. It sure worked and I had a good mood going and it was great. I had to actually take a break from the game to release some tension, something that has never happened to me. But while playing there were things that tried to rip my immersion away.

Lighting was intentionally made unnatural, dark and atmospheric, but I could say it severely hurts the gameplay. I would agree it fits better than having well lit rooms, but to actually benefit from it without creating problems like: necessary puzzleobjects being in pitch black (exactly what amnesias night vision fixes) and having to check everything with the flashlight (I missed the door to storage for gas due to it being in pitch black). To avoid those; perhaps you could have positioned the lighting in a more thought out way to affect how the player actually wanders in an area and guide/misguide him. Also, one point light in the editor just does not fade out realistically, not that it really was that much of a problem (it was not like it was that real anyways).

Voice acting felt off at some points, mostly the conversations and like C-zom had mentioned, you could hear the bad quality of the recordings (at least with my reasonably good headphones). Sometimes the volume of speech was too low, thus barely hearable. But for a bunch of volunteers and not so professionals the quality was very good, nothing major was wrong.

There were only few buggy things, static decals too close to wall causing flickering etc. Still, good work polishing everything out, especially when it is sooo long and big!

Puzzles... I bet you've noticed how many can't progress because of the puzzles. I myself didn't really get stuck that bad at any part, but I had my problems too. For example I didn't find a single rock to bash the crowbar off the wall in the stairway. I had to watch a lets play (to notice I did try to do the right thing) and try again.
Then for some reason, when I was supposed to use the bricks of memory? properly, I just thought "at least if I throw them all down to nothingness, something must happen or I get stuck, right?" That proved to be very wrong and I had to exit and continue from previous checkpoint, which apparently was before the necessary running around cutscenelike part. There shouldn't really be these points in game where you have no way of progress (thoughts ripped straight from frictional blog) and you could have made an alternative way of progressing. For example imply the player tried to forget and throw his memories away, then used some great speech+FadeOut(2.0f); to get on to the next part if he throws them all away. Also you could grab one brick and touch all the areas with it while keeping hold of it (I have no idea how someone could have to move back and forth grabbing new bricks and throwing them to slowly progress through the long way).

When you think afterwards, there are a lot of places that require you to walk past long distances with nothing happening. It sure builds up momentum at some parts, but when everything is far away and all... Was it intentional and another symbolism thing? Actually, don't answer! Wink

The pacing of the story is a whole different thing where I'm not so sure about everything. It just felt like, when I first played the story it was intense from the beginning, story progressed slow and scares kept me on guard. Then when I started to make progress and the story became much more evident, I couldn't keep up with the story and I was baffled. I did not get all of the story on my first playthrough and the last half of the story felt quite distant.
Then when playing White Night again before creating this post, it was the opposite. Beginning was slow running through necessary parts to get to the treat: unfolding of the story, which just clicked this time. I have to say the story was awesome, but for a story telling experiment I'd like to know is it necessary for many others to play it again to really enjoy it or am I just retarded/can't english?

The music...
Just plain awesome! Akira Yamaoka influenced stuff (+actually his songs I guess), great ambient tracks and some soothing contrasting music used well. I could walk around empty cities for 5 minutes with Their Heaven playing in the background. Such a shame how it ended abruptly after the short part outside. Actually I was writing this post while listening to the soundtrack with heavy rain and thunder outside. (You can bet its great). I hope the artist's gain some attention from White Night, I think I'll actually put the links included in the music_credits.txt here:
http://www.broken-notes.com/home.html
http://www.liminalrecs.com/

Some nice things I experienced while playing:
On my first playthrough I got scared like hell at a poofer! A damned poofer... It was the one below the stairs, the scare just happened perfectly. I managed to spot something yellowish at the edge of my eye and when I looked that way the monster poofed right in front of me. It was the most intense scare I've had in amnesia and shortly after I had to take a break.
And because of that experience, later in the game somewhere at the part with red walls there was this a bit similar corner that followed under similar stairs. I got a deja vu and had intense dread even when I was sure there was nothing.

I hope this feedback was something you wanted and I suggest others giving out their thoughts too! This is simply the greatest thing happened to amnesia custom stories! Your dedication and hard work have paid off. Its actually quite ironic how after completion credits, you have to press forget to exit the game, easier said than done...
"20+ minutes? I'd love to read it soon"
Thunder and rain gone, soundtrack and a lot of other music played... Am I good or slow? Smile

10-19-2011, 09:55 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

Thanks a lot Khyrpa! That was really a good read for me.
I read Frictional Games blog, I learned lots of things there; but I wanted to learn some thing by first hand. So, most of the things in White Night (like misguide etc.) were completely intentional. I got plenty of answers to my questions, and I'm preparing a postmortem about what I've learned so far.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. And thanks again this extensive feedback, which I'm looking for from everyone Smile

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2011, 11:04 PM by Tanshaydar.)
10-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(10-19-2011, 11:03 PM)Tanshaydar Wrote: Thanks a lot Khyrpa! That was really a good read for me.
I read Frictional Games blog, I learned lots of things there; but I wanted to learn some thing by first hand. So, most of the things in White Night (like misguide etc.) were completely intentional. I got plenty of answers to my questions, and I'm preparing a postmortem about what I've learned so far.

I'm really glad you enjoyed it. And thanks again this extensive feedback, which I'm looking for from everyone Smile
I also made you a review at moddb some hours ago. The limit was 2000 words so I had to make it short sometimes! Tongue

10-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Find
HitoshuraMahBoi Offline

Threads: 0

I've got a question, how do you ( correctly ) install this mod. I put it in the redist folder but it didn't work at all, the only thing that appeared was this error message when I started the batch file.
Amnesia.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module Amnesia.exe at 0023;004A67A8.
Please help, because from what I've heard and seen, this seems awesome.
10-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Find
Tanshaydar Offline
From Beyond

@pluto
I think I got two reviews from you. Three maybe? One, after finishing it; two, after pre-release review; three, moddb review. So, you are about to catch up with Glenn's pre-release review Big Grin

(10-19-2011, 11:10 PM)HitoshuraMahBoi Wrote: I've got a question, how do you ( correctly ) install this mod. I put it in the redist folder but it didn't work at all, the only thing that appeared was this error message when I started the batch file.
Amnesia.exe caused an EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION in module Amnesia.exe at 0023;004A67A8.
Please help, because from what I've heard and seen, this seems awesome.

You need to set your language to English in main game. I guess you saw the launcher, which means you installed it correctly. Since WN is English only at the moment, you need to set your main game to English too. I don't know why this happens, but it happened for Justine too.

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2011, 11:12 PM by Tanshaydar.)
10-19-2011, 11:10 PM
Website Find