Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-57.html)
+--- Forum: Technical Support - Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-31.html)
+--- Thread: Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! (/thread-11731.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! - cadiann731 - 12-07-2011

Hi guys! I'm not really sure if this is where this would go or not... It's technically Technical Support, right?

I've been looking everywhere for a desktop to play Amnesia on. I want to play Penumbra and Skyrim too, but I can't find desktops capable. I need help, and any help I can get is much appreciated. :3

I've found two desktops for cheap at Walmart that should be able to play the games, or at least I think they can. xD;
http://www.walmart.com/ip/eMachines-PT.NCV02.001/16608490
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-1TB-PT.SGM02.002/16608489

I'm not too sure about the graphics card though. The space, though, I'm sure is more than enough for those three games. At least, I hope. xD

Those are the only ones I can find that are more in my price range. I can't afford an expensive computer. $500 is my limit, and even that's a stretch.

If anyone knows of any particular computer that can play the games, I'd love to know. Thank you for your time. :)

RE: Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! - RawkBandMan - 12-07-2011

I actually have that GC in my one PC with all the same processors and such. I will go and see if I can DL the Amnesia demo onto that PC and run it with Low, Medium, and High settings and see how it runs.

EDIT: Ah my god I gave the PC away last month. Sorry!

EDIT2: Looking around, it should play it, but apparently not at desired FPS. I guess if you run it at all low settings you should be able to run the game at around 30-40 FPS.

RE: Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! - Your Computer - 12-07-2011

I'd say go with the eMachines and then if required, get a $60 graphics card from Newegg or something.

RE: Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! - plutomaniac - 12-07-2011

these machines cannot play Amnesia properly

RE: Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! - Googolplex - 12-07-2011

The graphics card is too bad for Amnesia!

This is a GeForce 6150 LE. This is waste!

I played it on the much better GeForce 6600 GT and it runs only in 640x480 and min details with low FPS.

Wasn't an experience at all. You need a GeForce 8800 GT as minimum to play the game in good quality. A PC you need costs over 500 dollars.

I found a PC with good performance for low price:

http://www.one.de/shop/product_info.php?cPath=128_237&products_id=5848

RE: Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! - Your Computer - 12-07-2011

(12-07-2011, 05:38 PM)Googolplex Wrote: A PC you need costs over 500 dollars.

With the eMachines it'd be below $500 even with $150 graphics card (excluding taxes and S&H).

These should do just fine, link, and it'd be cheaper than the one you listed.

RE: Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! - Wooderson - 12-07-2011

Have you considered building a custom built computer?

It's what I'm doing so I can play Amnesia, Penumbra and the game RuneScape. I'm paying at around £600+ for a fairly decent one though.

One thing you need to know though is; Intel = EXPENSIVE BUT POWERFUL; AMD = CHEAP AND WORTH THE MONEY YOU PAY.

It's probably best to go down the AMD route with your budget. You need a healthy budget for a really good Intel.

RE: Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! - BlueFury - 12-07-2011

(12-07-2011, 02:39 AM)Your Computer Wrote: I'd say go with the eMachines and then if required, get a $60 graphics card from Newegg or something.
sorry, gotta disagree on this

OP, you shouldnt get a graphics card of 60-100 bucks, get at least a midrange card
above the HD5/6770 which is around 100 bucks

You wont regret buying those
i have 2 PC's, never had a problem using the 6770, except for battlefield 3

Intel is extremely overpriced but its worth the cash, i'd say go for an AMD quadcore, most are around 120 bucks

RE: Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! - Wooderson - 12-07-2011

(12-07-2011, 06:08 PM)BlueFury Wrote:
(12-07-2011, 02:39 AM)Your Computer Wrote: I'd say go with the eMachines and then if required, get a $60 graphics card from Newegg or something.
sorry, gotta disagree on this

OP, you shouldnt get a graphics card of 60-100 bucks, get at least a midrange card
above the HD5/6770 which is around 100 bucks

You wont regret buying those
i have 2 PC's, never had a problem using the 6770, except for battlefield 3

Intel is extremely overpriced but its worth the cash, i'd say go for an AMD quadcore, most are around 120 bucks

Battlefield 3 apparently requires amazing graphics cards to play at the highest of settings. My friend is saving 3000 euros for a new graphics card so he can play at the highest settings.

Also, unless you want to do extreme multi-tasking then a dualcore will perform better than quadcore. I don't really want to go into detail about the physics of why but yeah, to keep it short... 4 cores are unneccessary for most peoples desires.

RE: Looking for a computer to play Amnesia! - BlueFury - 12-07-2011

(12-07-2011, 06:14 PM)Lucke Wrote: Battlefield 3 apparently requires amazing graphics cards to play at the highest of settings. My friend is saving 3000 euros for a new graphics card so he can play at the highest settings.
this is not a comedian forum bro, my HD6950 was only 350 bux, the 6990 is 700-800
Quote: Also, unless you want to do extreme multi-tasking then a dualcore will perform better than quadcore. I don't really want to go into detail about the physics of why but yeah, to keep it short... 4 cores are unneccessary for most peoples desires.
thanks for giving us the exact opposite answer -.-