Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Crunchbang linux - no suitable front end problem - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Technical Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-57.html)
+--- Forum: Technical Support - Penumbra Series (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-22.html)
+---- Forum: Linux - Penumbra (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-25.html)
+---- Thread: Crunchbang linux - no suitable front end problem (/thread-13183.html)

Pages: 1 2

Crunchbang linux - no suitable front end problem - evilED - 02-09-2012

I haven't been able to find a fix that works for me when the installer script tells me I don't have a suitable frontend. Does anyone else have experience installing the Penumbra Collection 1.1 on crunchbang linux? The demos worked perfectly for me so I bought the game and haven't been able to get it to install.

RE: Crunchbang linux - no suitable front end problem - Urkle - 02-09-2012

Check the amount of free space you have in /tmp. or specify --target /path/with/more/space/than/temp

RE: Crunchbang linux - no suitable front end problem - evilED - 02-09-2012

(02-09-2012, 01:58 AM)Urkle Wrote: Check the amount of free space you have in /tmp. or specify --target /path/with/more/space/than/temp

Thanks but /tmp has plenty of free space and specifying a different target sends up the same error.

I'm wondering if there's any packages I need that the installer is dependent on, maybe an older version of lib.so.6 or gcc than I have on my system.

(02-09-2012, 07:20 PM)evilED Wrote: Thanks but /tmp has plenty of free space and specifying a different target sends up the same error.

I'm wondering if there's any packages I need that the installer is dependent on, maybe an older version of lib.so.6 or gcc than I have on my system.
Hmm,, odd you can specify "-f ncurses" or "-f fltk". I'm able to run it on any of my systems (CentOS5 all the way to the latest Fedora 16) w/o issues.

The only other thing I can think of is that you have noexec set on your tmp drive which is preventing the installer from executing the extracted installer binaries for your system. (it has fltk, ncurses, gtk frontents for 32bit and 64bit linux).

Another thing to try is the unattended mode (-u)

pass --help for more information on running the installer.

RE: Crunchbang linux - no suitable front end problem - evilED - 02-09-2012

No matter which frontend I specify it doesn't want to work. I created a new directory and it unpacked all the .lua installation scripts and created its own bin/ directory with "lzma-decode" in it. I checked my packages and realized lzma wasn't installed on my system, so i installed it, thinking maybe it would help, no such luck. Even running the startupinstaller.sh in the new dir I created doesn't work.

The installer doesn't seem to have a -u flag, but the --info does tell me the mode is attended.

I'll keep screwing around with it, thanks for the prompt replies.

the installer includes it's own copy of lzma.. what you can do is extract out the installer (--target /path/ and --keep)

then go into the /path/ and simply run the front end from there directly

./bin/linux/x86_64/fltk

and see what it does.

RE: Crunchbang linux - no suitable front end problem - evilED - 02-11-2012

Still no luck,
the only thing in the x86/ file is the lzma-decode file, no frontend, so that all I get is:

./bin/linux/x86/libc.so.6/fltk: No such file or directory

The startupinstaller.sh is getting hung up somewhere in there on my system.

RE: Crunchbang linux - no suitable front end problem - Urkle - 02-11-2012

Hmm..

What is the MD5sum of your installer?

Are you running a 32bit or 64bit linux install?

This is what the MD5sum should be for the "latest" build of the Penumbra collection installer..

d9ae143516e0873f3d26c4c3fd6b9df1 PenumbraCollection-1.1.sh

Code:
./PenumbraCollection-1.1.sh --target TEMP --keep --noexec

you'll want to manully run the startupinstaller.sh and it should "Extract" out everything else, including the binaries. If it doesn't and it bombs.. Then try manuallly running the lzma-decode binary.. If that fails to run, then we need to see why.. Run ldd on it

Code:
ldd ./bin/linux/x86/libc.so.6/lzma-decode

and send me that output.

You should be able to "manually" extract out the installer via any lzma binary you have.

Code:
lzmadec subarchive | tar -xvf -

Then you can manually run the installer. Or even replace the lzma-decode binary with your lzmadec.

My lzmadec (fedora 16) is from the xz-lzma-compat v5.1.1 package.

RE: Crunchbang linux - no suitable front end problem - evilED - 02-11-2012

Quote: My lzmadec (fedora 16) is from the xz-lzma-compat v5.1.1 package.
And bingo, a quick search revealed I didn't have a lzmadec utility on my system, its part of the xzdec package in debian repos, which I installed, then tried the penumbra installer again, it worked no problem!

Such as easy fix. Thanks for your help Urkle, couldn't have done it without you.

RE: Crunchbang linux - no suitable front end problem - Urkle - 02-14-2012

It does seem quite odd that the included lzma-decode wouldn't run.

Could you still send the output of ldd on that binary?