Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-18.html)
+--- Thread: Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? (/thread-13505.html)

Pages: 1 2

Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? - Jdog8998 - 02-22-2012

Did frictional games restore your interest in gaming after you lost interest in the industry? Well It did for me.

I grew up with very famous games such as quake, and Duke Nukem 3D. Both of which had a strong focus on atmosphere and delivering a feeling rather than challenge. Sadly both of the creators of these two games no longer make games. But I became a gamer in my heart because of those experiences, and I haven't had anything like that sense. Until I discovered frictional games.
I haven't been able to find a gaming world that's as interesting and cool as the world that I felt while playing Amnesia. Theres something poetic about the game, I cant put my finger on it. Its not really the horror aspect, or how the game scared me. I can just feel the love put into the atmosphere and the story, and its something I haven't felt in a game in over a decade. Does anyone else feel that as well? Like the back hall room in Amnesia? Its like they are bringing back meaning into gaming through passion and innovation instead of doing what everyone else is doing. Am I the only who can acknowledge and see this charm? Its like their heart and imagination is the game and the game play. And I honestly cant say that about any other game that's out right now. It was more like that back in the early stages of gaming. Even though they were still simple it still came from the heart. Now its all about making money and competition. Its very personal for me, as strange as that sounds. I don't play any other games, and I when I want to, I'm just waiting on these guys to do something amazing.
If I ever do convince myself to play an mainstream game I usually pirate it and delete it before I even finish it. For you guys I will never download a game made by you unless I pay for it first, because that's how much respect I have for you guys.

So, I just wanted to say thanks for making the world a better place, because that's honestly how I feel. I honestly feel that your bringing back something that slowly disappeared from the world and art of video games.

Thanks a lot.

RE: Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? - dph314 - 02-22-2012

Damn. I don't think I've ever felt so...in love with a game. Loved many...but never IN love with one. That's quite a homage Wink

RE: Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? - Krohm - 02-23-2012

I would say they did, along with CD Projekt.

I also grew up when games like Duke Nukem 3D and Quake were new. Id Software is still making games BTW, they developed RAGE and from what I've heard the next Quake is supposed to be more like the original, John Carmack himself suggested that in an interview.

RE: Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? - Darkchef - 02-23-2012

Well i'd say they're doing the only developers that are making horror games these days that actually have some sort of impact on people and i'd bet that a machine for pigs easily beats the upcoming resident evil 6...

Overall..... keep it coming FG lol

RE: Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? - Leeeyam - 02-23-2012

(02-23-2012, 05:38 AM)Krohm Wrote: I would say they did, along with CD Projekt.

I also grew up when games like Duke Nukem 3D and Quake were new. Id Software is still making games BTW, they developed RAGE and from what I've heard the next Quake is supposed to be more like the original, John Carmack himself suggested that in an interview.
Uhh, your.. signature...yeah..?

RE: Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? - Krohm - 02-23-2012

(02-23-2012, 02:14 PM)Leeeyam Wrote:

I kinda wish you didn't have to scroll down for the "dinner time" part.

EDIT: found a gif resizer

RE: Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? - Googolplex - 02-23-2012

Frictional Games is actually my favorite developer.
But other good developers are:

- Piranha Bytes (Gothic 1-3, Risen)
- Spellbound (Gothic 4)
- CD Projekt (The Witcher)
- Lukas Arts (Indiana Jones and the infernal machine)
- SlightlyMad (Need For Speed: SHIFT, C.A.R.S.)
- EA Canada (Need For Speed: High Stakes, Porsche Unleashed)
- Synetic (World Racing)
- SquareEnix (Tomb Raider)
- Cenega (Shade: Wrath of angels)
- Dragonstone (Dragon's Lair 3D)

Someday I searched for a horror game and found Penumbra.
After watching first video, I thought - That's it!
When I played Overture the first time, I was sure, when I could make a game it would be same like this.
Penumbra 100% was that what I've searched. Bought the game 3-times.

(02-22-2012, 01:13 PM)Jdog8998 Wrote: Did frictional games restore your interest in gaming after you lost interest in the industry? Well It did for me.

I grew up with very famous games such as quake, and Duke Nukem 3D. Both of which had a strong focus on atmosphere and delivering a feeling rather than challenge. Sadly both of the creators of these two games no longer make games. But I became a gamer in my heart because of those experiences, and I haven't had anything like that sense. Until I discovered frictional games.

I haven't been able to find a gaming world that's as interesting and cool as the world that I felt while playing Amnesia. Theres something poetic about the game, I cant put my finger on it. Its not really the horror aspect, or how the game scared me. I can just feel the love put into the atmosphere and the story, and its something I haven't felt in a game in over a decade. Does anyone else feel that as well? Like the back hall room in Amnesia? Its like they are bringing back meaning into gaming through passion and innovation instead of doing what everyone else is doing. Am I the only who can acknowledge and see this charm? Its like their heart and imagination is the game and the game play. And I honestly cant say that about any other game that's out right now. It was more like that back in the early stages of gaming. Even though they were still simple it still came from the heart. Now its all about making money and competition. Its very personal for me, as strange as that sounds. I don't play any other games, and I when I want to, I'm just waiting on these guys to do something amazing.

If I ever do convince myself to play an mainstream game I usually pirate it and delete it before I even finish it. For you guys I will never download a game made by you unless I pay for it first, because that's how much respect I have for you guys.

So, I just wanted to say thanks for making the world a better place, because that's honestly how I feel. I honestly feel that your bringing back something that slowly disappeared from the world and art of video games.

Thanks a lot.

This is exactly what I feel. I imagined the Back Hall before reading it here.
And yes, I feel the love in the game, the love to atmosphere, the art of an unique masterpiece.
It sounds that you haven't play the Penumbra series, do that. I think, Penumbra is even better than Amnesia.
More puzzles, more tricky physics, great story, very oppressive atmosphere, more ideas in the game.
I love Penumbra & Amnesia so much, this aren't only games for me. I love them with my heart.

RE: Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? - BrooksyFC - 02-23-2012

FG really got me back into horror. Dead Space never properly scared me. Just a few jumpy moments. F.E.A.R I found scary. Stupid little girl Tongue FG work actually makes me want to pause the game and take a break rather than just jumping and carrying on with the game. The atmosphere and lighting is brilliant. Really changes the experience. And not having any weapons to defend yourself just makes the game that little bit more scary as you have to watch your every step.

RE: Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? - Leeeyam - 02-23-2012

(02-23-2012, 02:56 PM)Krohm Wrote:
(02-23-2012, 02:14 PM)Leeeyam Wrote:

I kinda wish you didn't have to scroll down for the "dinner time" part.

EDIT: found a gif resizer
Haha, it doesn't help, I still end up watching him do that about 15 times before I'm like..... what the fuck?

RE: Did frictional games bring meaning back into gaming for you? - Fomzo - 02-23-2012

Wait...what?