Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Time? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Time? (/thread-18513.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

RE: Time? - BAndrew - 09-30-2012

(09-30-2012, 04:56 PM)Statyk Wrote: Just so I can get a better grasp on this, are you two basically saying conscious things come to us naturally and unconscious things must be taught to us? Also, you are saying things either live consciously or unconsciously? If that's the case, are humans the middlemen?
Well actually no.

This topic is about time, but we had an argument about a similar and directly connected topic, mathematics.
The argument is whether mathematics is a human invention or if it is independant and it doesn't need humans to exist.

RE: Time? - failedALIAS - 09-30-2012

(09-30-2012, 09:12 PM)BAndrew Wrote:
(09-30-2012, 04:56 PM)Statyk Wrote: Just so I can get a better grasp on this, are you two basically saying conscious things come to us naturally and unconscious things must be taught to us? Also, you are saying things either live consciously or unconsciously? If that's the case, are humans the middlemen?
Well actually no.

This topic is about time, but we had an argument about a similar and directly connected topic, mathematics.
The argument is whether mathematics is a human invention or if it is independant and it doesn't need humans to exist.
It NEEDS human beings to exist; it's an idea/concept - every speck of purpose it has comes from us and our needs and reasons. The same with time - which is merely(in my eyes, at least) the documentation of passing existence through speculation and observation of experiences and events, with which we also have on a much less significant level(the passing of shadows and Earth's rotation in coordinates with the Sun, from night to day).

(09-30-2012, 09:23 PM)failedALIAS Wrote:
(09-30-2012, 09:12 PM)BAndrew Wrote:
Well actually no.

It NEEDS human beings to exist; it's an idea/concept - every speck of purpose it has comes from us and our needs and reasons. The same with time - which is merely(in my eyes, at least) the documentation of passing existence through speculation and observation of experiences and events, with which we also have on a much less significant level(the passing of shadows and Earth's rotation in coordinates with the Sun, from night to day).
Well IT DOESN'T. You say if humans didn't exist, time wouldn't exist and therefore nothing would be moving. This is completely wrong as most entities were moving, way too much before humans came into life.

RE: Time? - Statyk - 09-30-2012

Technically every idea needs humans to exist.

(09-30-2012, 09:28 PM)Statyk Wrote: Technically every idea needs humans to exist.
So if there were no humans, there would be no atoms?

But the concept does not. Planets orbit on their own, whether we come up with the "time-frame" or not. Humans could have created time based on a longer timeframe, such as 48 hours a day. The idea is ours, but the concept still exists without our input.

(09-30-2012, 09:30 PM)Statyk Wrote: But the concept does not. Planets orbit on their own, whether we come up with the "time-frame" or not. Humans could have created time based on a longer timeframe, such as 48 hours a day. The idea is ours, but the concept still exists without our input.
Yes I agree with that, but you forget something. 48 hours a day isn't time itself. It's a way we humans measure time. There is a difference!

That's kind of what I was trying to get but I suppose I explained it wrong =P

*Explodes*

(09-30-2012, 09:35 PM)Robosprog Wrote: What's the time guys?
Is your question what is time? or what's the time?
If it is the first I don't know, if it is the second it depends on your time zone and you are just trolling.