Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Triangle planes in level editor? - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+---- Forum: Development Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html)
+---- Thread: Triangle planes in level editor? (/thread-19456.html)

Triangle planes in level editor? - Josh9810 - 12-06-2012

Hi I was wondering if there was a way to make triangle planes? I am making houses out of planes and the roof is a problem coz the sides cant be triangles. help please.

RE: Triangle planes in level editor? - The chaser - 12-06-2012

You can rotate the plane 90 degrees, so it looks like a triangle.

RE: Triangle planes in level editor? - TheGreatCthulhu - 12-07-2012

You mean 45? Tongue

Anyway, the Level Editor is not really designed for modeling - it's a tool for setting up game levels (including engine-specific helper objects like triggers, sound entities, etc...). If you want to create more complicated models, you should use a 3rd party modeling app, like Maya, or 3ds Max, or Blender (which is free), export to COLLADA (dae) format, and use those.

But if you want to create custom monsters and such, you can do it only with Maya as far as I'm aware.

RE: Triangle planes in level editor? - The chaser - 12-07-2012

(12-07-2012, 06:41 AM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote: You mean 45? Tongue

Anyway, the Level Editor is not really designed for modeling - it's a tool for setting up game levels (including engine-specific helper objects like triggers, sound entities, etc...). If you want to create more complicated models, you should use a 3rd party modeling app, like Maya, or 3ds Max, or Blender (which is free), export to COLLADA (dae) format, and use those.

But if you want to create custom monsters and such, you can do it only with Maya as far as I'm aware.
Er... modelling isn't the question. I don't think he wants to handle modelling programs, so just 45 degrees on the plane should work.

RE: Triangle planes in level editor? - Josh9810 - 12-08-2012

thanks 4 help but when I do the 45 degree angle it ends up flickering the texture through the other one
also the roof isnt a perfect 90 degree angle Sad but ill keep trying.

RE: Triangle planes in level editor? - Adny - 12-08-2012

(12-08-2012, 06:27 AM)Josh9810 Wrote: thanks 4 help but when I do the 45 degree angle it ends up flickering the texture through the other one
also the roof isnt a perfect 90 degree angle Sad but ill keep trying.
Use welders to create your borders (e.g. wooden beam welder), this allows for a discrepancy in depth. You can move one of the planes slightly more forward or backward than the other to prevent flickering, or misaligned edges (thanks to the welders). You can play with plane tile angle and size to make it flow together very well.

RE: Triangle planes in level editor? - TheGreatCthulhu - 12-08-2012

(12-08-2012, 06:29 AM)andyrockin123 Wrote: Use welders to create your borders (e.g. wooden beam welder), this allows for a discrepancy in depth. You can move one of the planes slightly more forward or backward than the other to prevent flickering, or misaligned edges (thanks to the welders). You can play with plane tile angle and size to make it flow together very well.

Yeah. And if the wall needs to be visible from both sides, you can "sandwich" the rotated plane, so that the lower part isn't visible, and maybe use a welder (like a beam) to hide the top edge, where the "triangle" emerges.

(12-07-2012, 10:15 AM)The chaser Wrote: Er... modelling isn't the question. I don't think he wants to handle modelling programs, so just 45 degrees on the plane should work.
Well, he wants to make a house, and that's, broadly speaking, modeling - making it with planes can work, but depending on how it's going to be used in the game, it might not be the best option (if it's something that can only be seen from afar, than it can work nicely; if the OP needs the player to be able to go inside and look around, then, generally speaking, it's not going to look very realistic - but with some effort I suppose it can turn out to be at least decent looking).

RE: Triangle planes in level editor? - Josh9810 - 12-08-2012

(12-08-2012, 11:03 AM)TheGreatCthulhu Wrote: f the OP needs the player to be able to go inside and look around, then, generally speaking, it's not going to look very realistic - but with some effort I suppose it can turn out to be at least decent looking).
This is what I was using it for Tongue
It looks good so far its just I need a triangle plane to help with the side of the roof the flat parts look good and perfect.

RE: Triangle planes in level editor? - TheGreatCthulhu - 12-08-2012

What's the angle of the roof (at the top, where the two roof plains join)? That is, what is the angle at the top of the triangle? Is it not 90deg? Is that the problem? If you can make it 90, then you can rotate the fake "triangle" plane 45 deg, and do something like this:

Code:
"triangle" plane ------>  |
                          |
                          |
                          |
                        | | |  
                        | | |  
      outer wall--->    | | |  
                        | | |  
                        |   |  
                        |   |  <-- inner wall
                        |   |