Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
PineTree model export help. ModelView crashes. Help please. - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Amnesia: The Dark Descent (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-6.html)
+--- Forum: Custom Stories, TCs & Mods - Development (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-38.html)
+---- Forum: Development Support (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-39.html)
+---- Thread: PineTree model export help. ModelView crashes. Help please. (/thread-22584.html)

Pages: 1 2

PineTree model export help. ModelView crashes. Help please. - jssjr90 - 08-25-2013

This is solved. The problem I found is the file plan structure, and the export plugin. Basically when you plan to make a model in Amnesia, make sure you create all your assets you plan to use in your root Amnesia 'entities' or 'static objects' folder. Link all your textures, 3d model save file, and any other asset's from your 3d software, to your Amnesia 'entities' or 'static objects' root folder.
This should cease conflict of the model crashing in the model viewer. And instaid of DAE_FBX for exporting, I used OpenCOLLADA plugin.

I am getting a weird error when ever I try to load my model into the model viewer. I did everything correctly but it will still refuse to read the .dae file.

- Software: Maya Autodesk 2011.
- Plugin export: DAE_FBX export.
- UV texture type: JPG (1024 x 1024)
- UV Alpha texture type: png (1024 x 1024)
The .mat file set up for UV texture: soliddiffuse, with
alpha texture.
- The model is triangulated.

Inside look to whats going on with the setup.
(Note): Yes it is black, but that is fixed when amnesia reads the .mat file for the alpha texture of the uv texture.
[Image: maya2013-10-0821-00-49-02_zpsc804b384.jpg]

This is the Maya (DAE_FBX export) set up.
[Image: Mayaexport_zpsef835414.jpg]

Here is the model view log error spot:

Game Running
--------------------------------------------------------
Cache out of date! Reloading collada file 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/amnesia the dark descent/static_objects/A THRH Johns Models/PineTree2/PineTree2.dae'
WARNING: No 'extra scene' element found!
WARNING: Animation missing channel!
Loading material data for 'pPlane4'
Create default material!
Creating material file: 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/amnesia the dark descent/static_objects/A THRH Johns Models/PineTree2/'
No file for 'Diffuse' texture type found
No file for 'NMap' texture type found
No file for 'Specular' texture type found
No file for 'Alpha' texture type found
No file for 'Height' texture type found
No file for 'Illumination' texture type found
No file for 'CubeMap' texture type found
No file for 'DissolveAlpha' texture type found
No file for 'CubeMapAlpha' texture type found
No file for '' texture type found

As you can see, it will not refrance the models texture. All the textures are in the same spot as the model. This is driving me nuts! Can anyone help how to fix these problems? Extremely grateful if so.

RE: PineTree model export help. Maya 2011 - The chaser - 08-25-2013

Amnesia will place the planes in 0, 0, 0. As you will surely know, objects have a center, an origin: If this center isn't in 0, 0, 0, the model viewer/editor will automatically put it there, thus doing weird stuff. When exporting models, remain to apply Location, Rotation and Scale, and to put the center at 0, 0, 0.

RE: PineTree model export help. Maya 2011 - jssjr90 - 08-25-2013

I kind of get what you are saying but implementing it is just confusing. Is there a tutorial on how to apply every step to make a successful model for amnesia? Is there anyway to fix the tree branch texture glitch? Like when I look on the opposite side of the tree branches, the texture dissapears.

I'm not a Maya Pro, but all 3D programs share lots of things in common: In Blender is easy to apply Rotation, Scale, Location and all of that, but I don't know how to do it in Maya, I'd search a tutorial out there.

For the leaves: Duplicate all of them, move them like 0.001 down and then flip normals.

While I could do that, but it would cause un-necessary polygons. There must be some way. I need to think this though later.

RE: PineTree model export help. Maya 2011 - Traggey - 08-25-2013

You need to merge all the pieces of the model into one mesh, otherwise the engine will move the different parts to the center, just go to mesh- combine

Amnesia does not support two sided materials, so to get around the invisible leaves you'll have to duplicate all the leaf planes and then invert ''flip'' the normals, so that you basicly have two planes laying inside of eachother, facing different directions.

Thank you Traggey! You are a life saver. Its too bad HPL2 does not support that. It would save allot of memory for fairly high poly tree's.

(08-25-2013, 11:06 AM)Traggey Wrote: You need to merge all the pieces of the model into one mesh, otherwise the engine will move the different parts to the center, just go to mesh- combine

Amnesia does not support two sided materials, so to get around the invisible leaves you'll have to duplicate all the leaf planes and then invert ''flip'' the normals, so that you basicly have two planes laying inside of eachother, facing different directions.

If you put the object center at 0, 0, 0, Amnesia will put it right. It doesn't matter to have many objects, it's just to have them prepared.

I combined the mesh but now it has written out a error. Saying a material could not be written and when I tried to import the model, the model viewer crashed. Just when you think you got over the hill, you half to go over another.

RE: PineTree model export help. Maya 2011 - WALP - 08-25-2013

(08-25-2013, 11:25 AM)jssjr90 Wrote: I combined the mesh but now it has written out a error. Saying a material could not be written and when I tried to import the model, the model viewer crashed. Just when you think you got over the hill, you half to go over another.

you must not combine the mesh if it uses multiple materials, as amnesia only supports one per mesh.
If it is rotated or offset you apply transformations like The chaser said.
As for what it is called in maya I believe it was the freeze transformations option under modify.