Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Religion - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Frictional Games (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-16.html)
+--- Thread: Religion (/thread-23750.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Religion - Froge - 11-03-2013

This pretty much sums it up for me 'cuz #jrpgs

Spoiler below!
[Image: 948m.png]

RE: Religion - Kman - 11-03-2013

lots of homophobia itt but i will stay strong *_*

RE: Religion - CarnivorousJelly - 11-03-2013

(11-03-2013, 06:22 AM)TheWalshinator Wrote: - There is nothing wrong with hugging a guy if you're a guy, and there is nothing wrong with telling a guy that you love them (as long as you don't mean it in the homosexual way)
(11-03-2013, 07:16 AM)TheWalshinator Wrote: I'm not kidding. I will hug guys. Not in a homosexual way (ass is off limits), but there is nothing wrong with it. The world has just "taught" us on what is "manly".
(11-03-2013, 07:44 AM)TheWalshinator Wrote: Oh, I simply meant that it's something you won't hear me saying in a homosexual way. Once again, nothing against them, I just wouldn't feel comfortable if a guy told me he loved me in a homosexual way (Hence, why I said keep it to yourselves).

You might want to fix that in your original post there, good sir. Your wording made it sound like hate.

Although personally, I'd be flattered if a girl told me that she loved me, but I doubt (can't be certain about things that haven't happened) I'd return her feelings. To me, it would be just as awkward if a guy that 'isn't my type' confessed undying love to me. Really, that's just it. Both the guy and the girl in my example here just aren't my type. I wouldn't expect two people who aren't, in my opinion, sexually attractive to hide their affection for each other, so I don't see why anyone should have to hide their sexual orientation.

I got dragged into posting in this thread again, dammit. *sigh* might as well say stuff.
Spoiler below!

I'm not sure quite how this thread works, seems to be mainly Christianity vs. Atheism, so here's my opinion on the whole shpeel. Please let me know if I worded anything offensively or in a hostile manner, it certainly wasn't my intent to upset anyone.

I'm just going to make this clear before I start: I don't believe in any God(s) - or Goddesses (although the theory of God being a woman fascinates me).

I suppose a better way of putting it is: I don't feel like any all-powerful deity cares about me - or any other people for that manner. Maybe there was a God at some point and maybe he did care, but if you look at our world and even just (moderately) recent history - black plague, small-pox in America, WWI and WWII, the Atomic Bombs, Cold War, all the wars in the Middle East, poverty, tsunamis, etc., I don't see any caring God. I see people who care and do their best to make a difference in what can be a very dark and hostile world.

I have no proof in either direction as to whether a God exists or not, but I'm completely against religion itself (much like that video link you posted, Walshinator). There's too much hate against people for their identities in everything from sexual orientation and politics to race and gender. And it's not just Christianity that's at fault in this aspect (for example, Islamic - Added on JAP's request - see his post for why).

TL;DR: Maybe there's a God, maybe there isn't

RE: Religion - PutraenusAlivius - 11-03-2013

Just Christianity? Include Islam too, that religion has some weird stuff (mandatory circumcision, violence, no women's rights, etc.)

RE: Religion - Alardem - 11-03-2013

How does thinking that life doesn't have any inherent meaning aside from what we make of it a bad thing? If anything it's liberating - Christianity is just another way for humans to tell others how they should run their lives, and if you free yourself from that restriction you can be happier.

RE: Religion - CarnivorousJelly - 11-03-2013

(11-03-2013, 10:44 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Just Christianity? Include Islam too, that religion has some weird stuff (mandatory circumcision, violence, no women's rights, etc.)
Added Islamic and referenced your post for reasons why.

(11-03-2013, 10:44 AM)Alardem Wrote: How does thinking that life doesn't have any inherent meaning aside from what we make of it a bad thing? If anything it's liberating - Christianity is just another way for humans to tell others how they should run their lives, and if you free yourself from that restriction you can be happier.
It all depends on how you look at it: religions suggest that there is some higher purpose to your life and that, even if you don't think you're important, you have a place in the grand scheme of things that some omniscient deity recognizes you for whereas suggesting life doesn't have any extra meaning could also mean that there's no point to life other than to pass on your genetics.

Although I do agree with your post for the most-part, I'm just very grey-area (as opposed to thinking in black-and-white) when it comes to my views for most things.

Edit: My next post is #500, better make it a good one! :p

RE: Religion - TheWalshinator - 11-04-2013

(11-03-2013, 10:29 AM)Kia Wrote: You might want to fix that in your original post there, good sir. Your wording made it sound like hate.

Done Wink

RE: Religion - BAndrew - 11-09-2013

I find the following paradox quite interesting:

Omnipotence paradox

Can an omnipotent being create a stone so heavy that it cannot lift it?
  • If yes: the being has a weakness (being unable to lift the stone) and his power is limited, or becomes limited.
  • If no: the being's power is already limited, since there is an action he cannot perform.

Either way, the allegedly omnipotent being has proven not to be omnipotent due to the logical contradiction present in both possible answers.

RE: Religion - i3670 - 11-09-2013

We're doing paradoxes now?

RE: Religion - BAndrew - 11-09-2013

(11-09-2013, 09:04 PM)i3670 Wrote: We're doing paradoxes now?

It's relevant to the discussion, because the paradox suggests that no entity can be omnipotent and that includes God.