Frictional Games Forum (read-only)
Some basic combat training please - Printable Version

+- Frictional Games Forum (read-only) (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Penumbra: Overture, Black Plague & Requiem (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-5.html)
+--- Forum: Hints, help and spoilers (https://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/forum-21.html)
+--- Thread: Some basic combat training please (/thread-2694.html)

Pages: 1 2

Some basic combat training please - wolis - 05-19-2009

Hi ppl,

I have just bought all 3 games and have started on Overture.. and all is going well.. apart from the dogs.

I tried searching for this basic info to no avail.. how to I kill them?

My last save was at a point when I entered a room, I hear someone tell me something about his memory not being like it used to (its getting quite repetitive now) and I am promptly set upon by a dog.. and if Im lucky enough to kill it, another comes and I just cant survive that long.. so I have to do it all over again.. and again.

I have tried swinging weapons things like hammers but the screen freezes so I can complete the swing and invariably the dog moves out of range.

I have also tried throwing things but invariably the thing hits then falls behind the dog so I have to scrabble to pick it up again .. I dont last long.

If I could save after killing one that would be very useful but this does not seem to be possible.. yes?

So if anyone can offer some basic combat training to help me through this that would be great!

Thanks in advance.

RE: Some basic combat training please - Kedjane - 05-19-2009

Combat is pretty hard, but there is a trick to killing the dogs.
Try jumping up on crates where they can't reach you, because you'll still be able to reach them.

RE: Some basic combat training please - wolis - 05-19-2009

Ah.. thanks Kedjane.. worked a treat!

This is quite an amazing game.. like Half Life 2 but with more puzzles and less shooting.

RE: Some basic combat training please - Petike - 05-19-2009

(05-19-2009, 01:31 PM)wolis Wrote: This is quite an amazing game.. like Half Life 2 but with more puzzles and less shooting.

That's the point. Quality storytelling with a lot of scares and thrills - and less violence. Wink:

RE: Some basic combat training please - Yuhaney - 05-19-2009

No need of an fighting the dogs. If I remember correctly, I played on Hard difficulty without killing a single dog once. Just hitted like 1-2 of the dogs in the whole game and when they were lying on the floor I just ranned away.

RE: Some basic combat training please - eliasfrost - 05-20-2009

Throw rocks and barrels at them. And when they have risen, just throw another rock or barrel at them. Repeat this and your dog will die eventually. Tongue

RE: Some basic combat training please - wolis - 05-20-2009

More good suggestions.. thanks.

I noticed when I hit the dog it would scamper away (probably because Im on easy mode) which looks like it would give me enough time to run away.. if it cant sniff me out.. and if I know where to run to safety.

The throwing of multiple things is another good idea.. I have been relying on the some object and having to retrieve it, but having 5 handy objects at my feet would save my having to run into danger to retrieve anything.

Thanks.. I am now further in the game and feeling more confident (if crawling through air-vents fills can fill anyone with confidence!?!)

RE: Some basic combat training please - Yuhaney - 05-20-2009

Just a quick suggestion, try avoiding with fighting the enemies. Game is more enjoyaple this way! Wink:

RE: Some basic combat training please - angelbane - 06-10-2009

How do you throw stuff accurately ... i need to hit something and cant :/

RE: Some basic combat training please - Yuhaney - 06-10-2009

Press left mouse button to hold, and when you hold: press right mouse button at the same time to throw.